Maniac Muslim Forums
Zimbabwe

Boundaries of taste and decency

if you think Family Guy is funny, then you shouldn't be allowed to make jokes.

And seriously, I don't know what to contribute. Better I should just stay silent, because I thought the levels of decency were pretty darn clear to begin with...

Guest Fufu Xiawoun

Yeah, I don't want MM to turn into trash, lets all pull our socks up. I guess that means a stop on Aloos Tuttifest. ;)

if you think Family Guy is funny, then you shouldn't be allowed to make jokes.

And seriously, I don't know what to contribute. Better I should just stay silent, because I thought the levels of decency were pretty darn clear to begin with...

fail

Surah Maidah:

"Not equal are things that are bad and things that are good, even though the abundance of the bad may dazzle you; so fear Allah, O you that understand; that (so) you may prosper." 5:100

"O You who believe! do not ask questions about things which if made plain to you may cause you trouble. But if you ask about things when the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you. Allah will forgive those: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Forbearing." 5:101

"Some people before you did ask such questions, and on that account lost their faith." 5:102

"O you who believe! guard your own souls: if you follow (right) guidance, no hurt can come to you from those who stray. The goal of you all is to Allah: it is He that will show you the truth of all that you do." 5:105

So, without getting embroiled into specifics- perhaps it would be a good time for us to all take stock and have a think about what kind of community atmosphere we want to have on these forums. A safe place where members are comfortable and a general standard of Islamic etiquette is observed is how I've always seen MM. Though I know we are- masha'Allah- such a varied bunch of people, there is a consistency that binds us together- and that is at least outwardly striving to keep a decent and overtly modest standard when it comes to mixed-gender discussions.

Sure, we all have our own boundaries when it comes to humour and the things we find entertaining, however I'm just kindly proposing we are careful in maintaining a level of modesty and decency around each other where things like humour around strippers etc are veered clear of. We are better than that- I want MM to not fall into cheap toilet humour, or to let standards drop like 'mainstream' forums where the whole tone becomes so low brow that it sounds outrageous to give each other reminders when they are needed.

This is a community forum for everybody- let's please insha'Allah try to maintain a wholesome and balanced atmosphere for everybody- in our choices of topics, posts and jokes...pretty please! :)

'Every religion has a distinguishing characteristic, and the characteristic of Islam is modesty'

- Hadith.

i am as guilty as anyone of ignoring bounds for humor. i apologize. i have a wife and daughters and mother and wish no offence for the sake of offence.

*sigh* only if we had a good mod.

i tried to get one at the store to follow me around but it seems i must be responsible for my self.

Belly button thread

What your feet smell like thread

those were perfectly acceptable threads and i will not have their good name sullied sir.

Surah Maidah:

"Not equal are things that are bad and things that are good, even though the abundance of the bad may dazzle you; so fear Allah, O you that understand; that (so) you may prosper." 5:100

"O You who believe! do not ask questions about things which if made plain to you may cause you trouble. But if you ask about things when the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you. Allah will forgive those: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Forbearing." 5:101

"Some people before you did ask such questions, and on that account lost their faith." 5:102

"O you who believe! guard your own souls: if you follow (right) guidance, no hurt can come to you from those who stray. The goal of you all is to Allah: it is He that will show you the truth of all that you do." 5:105

the true heart of MM has spoken. we have missed your postings.

I agree! I've been guilty many times of going beyond the limits, but I'm working on it - and I hope everyone else is as well! We live in a society where relationships and humor go unrestrained. The least we can do is make a little appropriate and ideal bubble right here and in our own homes, and by doing so, hopefully train ourselves to live up to our ideals.