Maniac Muslim Forums
Haku

Understanding Poetry

I don't see poetry as something that has to follow a set agenda, or a reach a certain to level to be identified as one, for me it's just ones persons way of expressing themselves/their opinion/feelings through whatever language devices they can.

Fufu... then call expression as expression. not all expression is poetry. otherwise facebook will be the largest collection of poets. albeit, emo ones.

Guest Fufu Xiawoun

Fufu... then call expression as expression. not all expression is poetry. otherwise facebook will be the largest collection of poets. albeit, emo ones.

Yes, not all expression is poetry, but if someone is passing their work as poetry, and there is some meaning behind it (depends on the reader/intended audience) then I won't be so quick to dismiss it because it doesn't match the quality of 'real poetry'. Plus, different things appeal to different people, I don't see the harm in experiencing different poems.

I get the point you're trying to make, everyone draws their line somewhere.

no offence but you ( and every other artist ) should be used to criticism and/or people not liking your work. some do, others wont.

:)

edit - like when you cook something, its always gonna be too spicy/salty/etc for some people. but some people are gonna love it and ask for more.

My problem isn't him not liking it..rasmatai doesn't like it either..difference is rasmatai tells me directly..r-z cowers behind words constantly and never speaks directly..and he never once explained what it is about my work he doesn't like..he just tosses it to the side and says "this isn't poetry"..alright sun tzu then explain to me what poetry is...stop hiding behind your mod title because it means nothing to me and talk to me like a man

If your criticism isn't constructive then what is it? Useless

i agree with this.

i dont know what he has said but i dont think he's hiding or whatever, i wouldnt say he's cowardy either, he usually says it how it is. if him saying your poetry isnt poetry is bothering you, why not just ask him straight up?

anyway, this isnt any of my business so i shouldnt butt in. not that i was trying to anyway, i was just saying what i think.

cowers is my new word of the day. danke.

If that's "telling it how it is" then I don't know how to read... Cause this was a cowardly attempt at taking a shot at me...this kid r-z is clearly afraid to refer to me directly because this isn't the first time something stupid about me flew out of his mouth...the point of this thread is to interpret poetry...if you don't think it's poetry..then interpret to us why you think it isn't...but you won't do that will you?

Where I'm from we criticize people up front...anything otherwise makes you less than a man...so show me respect or keep your mouth shut

My problem isn't him not liking it..rasmatai doesn't like it either..difference is rasmatai tells me directly..r-z cowers behind words constantly and never speaks directly..and he never once explained what it is about my work he doesn't like..he just tosses it to the side and says "this isn't poetry"..alright sun tzu then explain to me what poetry is...stop hiding behind your mod title because it means nothing to me and talk to me like a man

wait, I didn't tell you directly? I thought I told you explicitly that reading essays with background music is not poetry; to which you took offense, and didn't seem like you wanted to hear anymore. If you want to hear my criticism, I will give you some.

Where I'm from we criticize people up front...anything otherwise makes you less than a man...so show me respect or keep your mouth shut

hahahahaha

R-z you should just accept your behaviour sometimes is just rude and completely unbecoming of a mod to boot; there is absolutely no reason to come into someone's thread and tell them their work isn't 'real poetry'. Last time I checked, condescension is not criticism. As I've said elsewhere, even if there is an arbiter for what is or is not good art, I can bet it won't be you.

There's a very funny novelist called Jasper Fforde (who wrote the awesome Thursday Next novels, check em out) who wrote in one of his books: “Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world.”

Poetry can be the most exposing way to verbalise your internal world, in a way that is beyond most prose. To come in and rubbish someone's poems with absolutely no critique can mean you are rubbishing the person as well as their work, as with a lot of poetry that can be very tied up together.

Writeous - You've said you are able to take criticique of your stuff, so will take you at your word because there are some points I want to make, but I need to re-read/re-listen to your stuff and will get back to you.

R-z you should just accept your behaviour sometimes is just rude and completely unbecoming of a mod to boot; there is absolutely no reason to come into someone's thread and tell them their work isn't 'real poetry'. Last time I checked, condescension is not criticism. As I've said elsewhere, even if there is an arbiter for what is or is not good art, I can bet it won't be you.

wait wait wait. this is not his thread. and just because I am a mod doesn't mean I can't have opinion. And you seem to have a wierd idea of how a mod should post. In case you didn't notice, all my posts (until writy came) was predominantly about interpreting poetry, only with slight reference to his so-called poems. I can't help if he flipped out.

Ok, I will take your advice about being nicer (if that's what you are trying to say).

Now lets go back to interpreting poetry. If anyone have critisism on my critisism, PM or make a separate thread. Don't spam this beautiful thread. I intend to post real poetry by masters, so by comparison, the so-called poetry will be exposed for what it is.

I refuse to speak privately as you have chosen to act stupid publicly..for starters...when you said about poetry with background music...I answered you and you never responded back to what I said...so I don't see how that counts..secondly....what you say isn't criticism..you take cheap shots like a snake and then try to change the subject as if what you said doesn't make a difference...but if you thought I was going to let you get away with trying to play me like I got a flower pot on my head then your mistaken..

Now apologize