Catfish Bobby

The GOAT

You know what to do...

1 - Nas

2 - Guru

3 - Rakim

4 - Lauryn Hill

5 - Will Smith

For a long time, I thought Rakim was the GOAT, but its true. He only talks about one thing... how great he is. Nas is the GOAT for me because his flow is incredible and there isn't a MC that can touch him lyrically.

I'm still not fully happy with my list, I know Nas is definitely no. 1 and all those mc's deserve to be up there but I'm a bit conflicted as to where they belong.

Theres too many mc's to put up there man, Slick Rick, Chuck D, Raekwon, MC Shan Papoose, Marley Marl, KRS-One, Ice cube, RA the rugged man, Notorious BIG, Buckshot(?), Canibus(?), Common, Black Thought, The GZA, Method man, M1, Stic man, Mos Def, Busta rhymes, Rev Run, MC Ren.... so many more?

to quote Nas: "So *****, who's your top ten, is it MC Shan is it MC Ren"

Yup, no doubt bout Nas.

But Will Smith?

And where is Pac?

Edit: Forgot about Dre? Haha, he doesn't deserve top 5 but honourable mention for sure. Chronic 2001 and all his gangsta beats.

Yup, no doubt bout Nas.

But Will Smith?

And where is Pac?

Bro Will Smith is fire! One of the greatest MC's of all time, teamed up with one of the greatest DJ's of all time. Jazzy Jeff only comes second to Primo.

Ahhh the inevitable Pac debate. I was never a huge fan of Pac tbh. But, respect where respect is due. I'll give him his props for what he did for hip hop, but for me, he wasn't all that.

Solid arsenal of rappers you listed though.

Post yours up akhi!

I can't possibly make a list. I have too many favorite MCs, from Nas, Cormega, Cyne, to Lupe Fiasco, Immortal Technique, Papoose, Apathy and Celph Titled from Army of the Pharoahs, Cunninlynguistics, among a bunch of others.

But I will say this, there's a very underrated MC who is no doubt one of the best I've heard. He's called AZ, if you don't know this guy look him up and listen to 'Rather Unique', pay attention to the lyrics and his flow. He's awesome.

And I agree, Jazzy Jeff is a great producer. Love the track he did with Oddisee.

Whaaaaa! Why do I not see Bizzy Bone on your list?!

Bizzy is good but doesn't make it up there -_-

funny-goat_4916_1.jpg

Kidd Gruff on the cover of his seminal album Baaaaaaad boys.

That's right Mr Baldy - I went there, pun-wise.

Haha Lady M That works on so many levels! I give you 'much props'.

I can't possibly make a list. I have too many favorite MCs, from Nas, Cormega, Cyne, to Lupe Fiasco, Immortal Technique, Papoose, Apathy and Celph Titled from Army of the Pharoahs, Cunninlynguistics, among a bunch of others.

But I will say this, there's a very underrated MC who is no doubt one of the best I've heard. He's called AZ, if you don't know this guy look him up and listen to 'Rather Unique', pay attention to the lyrics and his flow. He's awesome.

And I agree, Jazzy Jeff is a great producer. Love the track he did with Oddisee.

AZ is fantastic! A fantastic lyricist, and a smooth flow. Apathy and Celph are good, but they're let down hugely by some of their content. And if your mentioning them, you have to mention Vinnie Paz.

1. Nas

2. Tupac

3. Eminem

4. Biggie

5. Ice Cube

I haven't posted anyone underground and this is a pretty "politically correct" list.

my list would look WAY different than any of yours....but i cant number them...but i will say this..if your question is who is the GREATEST EMCEE OF ALL TIME....KRS-ONE...1000%...debate it all you want but i can back it up simple...

Rakim for a long time was my favorite...i didnt think there was another emcee that could touch Rakim on the mic...he fathered the styles that are still used today, i.e. my style for example is a product of Rakim...but in terms of consistency...he lacks...and thats the issue with many rappers...inconsistencies tarnish their position on my list of greatest emcees...and then you have emcees like big daddy kane who deserves a spot but then again he hasnt been relevant in 20 years..same goes for almost everyone from the Juice Crew...as a matter of fact the least known from the Juice Crew back then (Masta Ace) is making the BIGGEST impact right now in the underground...so its a shift...Masta Ace who also fathered styles, i.e. Eminem's style was fathered by Masta Ace...

I would love to put Gza on my list...He also deserves a spot...but Gza taught Killah Priest and right now Killah Priest is a WAY BETTER emcee than Gza...anyone that wants to debate that feel free to fight me about it cause I'm ready!...and technically I dont even think I would put Gza at the top of the wu-tang clan...so it cant be Gza....Also..i wouldnt put will smith anywhere near this list ahahah summertime was a cool song but lets keep it real :P ...

Does Nas deserve a spot on the list? absolutely...but does he get TOP honors? im not sure...because i can name artists with better lyrical content and a lot less record sales...and Nas has shown times in the past where he dumbs his lyrics down and thats just annoying...Immortal Technique will never get top honors because he pushed his album back for like 6 years and it drove me insane...also because he hasnt been out long enough to really prove he can hold up consistently

lowkey?.......anyways..

HOWEVER...KRS-One has made over 10 albums spanning over 20 years...EVERY album is a banger...he epitomizes the role of the emcee in every method possible...from lyrical content, to presence, to flow, to control..to EVERYTHING...and he was CONSISTENT! he still is...so I wont give a top 5 or 10....but like KRS said "I'm not sayin I'm number one, uhh I'm sorry, I lied. I'm number one, two, three, four and five!"

reading through this thread...im extremely impressed at how many artists you guys know...especially enigma..your awesome for knowing AZ..."problems" is one of my all time favorites

You know what to do...

1 - Nas

2 - Guru

3 - Rakim

4 - Lauryn Hill

5 - Will Smith

For a long time, I thought Rakim was the GOAT, but its true. He only talks about one thing... how great he is. Nas is the GOAT for me because his flow is incredible and there isn't a MC that can touch him lyrically.

I'm still not fully happy with my list, I know Nas is definitely no. 1 and all those mc's deserve to be up there but I'm a bit conflicted as to where they belong.

Theres too many mc's to put up there man, Slick Rick, Chuck D, Raekwon, MC Shan Papoose, Marley Marl, KRS-One, Ice cube, RA the rugged man, Notorious BIG, Buckshot(?), Canibus(?), Common, Black Thought, The GZA, Method man, M1, Stic man, Mos Def, Busta rhymes, Rev Run, MC Ren.... so many more?

to quote Nas: "So *****, who's your top ten, is it MC Shan is it MC Ren"

Marley Marl isnt an emcee -_-