Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Catfish Bobby

The GOAT

Marley Marl isnt an emcee -_-

He did that collabo with KRS!

My list:

1. Kanye West - You can debate me all you like on this one! I like Kanye because I can actually relate to some of his songs, because alot of them refer to first-world problems.

2. Drake - He is a pretty versatile guy!

3. Jay-Z - Easily one of the best rappers ever.

4. Method Man - My favourite from the Wu!

5. Tyler, The Creator - The guy has some ridiculous lyrics!

Some of my other favourite rappers are Rakim, Big L, Ice Cube, Nas, DMX, Biggie, DMC, Ghostface Killah, 50 Cent, Snoop, Styles P, Black Thought from the Roots, Andre 3000, Big Boi, RZA, GZA, Pharrell and Lupe Fiasco.

Ahh Writeous is right. It's hard to separate the lyrics from from the content, production, marketing and all the other crap that comes with it.

And seriously, Kanye? He's just an arrogant poser. He's nothing, nothing, nothing compared to the other rappers in this thread.

I LOVE GOATS.

BUT NADDLES. I DON'T UNDERSTANDING YOU.

AWESOME THREAD! X

Not Goats, The GOAT -_-

1. Nas

2. Tupac

3. Eminem

4. Biggie

5. Ice Cube

I haven't posted anyone underground and this is a pretty "politically correct" list.

While I'm happy you put Nas at the top, Eminem? NO! and Pac -_- Also, need your reasons!

To be honest, I was never into American Rap.

I know how you feel akhi, I prefer grime. It's a lot less commercial and more creative. Although with Ndubz and Tinnie its going that way.

Immortal Technique.

Lowkey.

Mic Righteous.

Reasons!

my list would look WAY different than any of yours....but i cant number them...but i will say this..if your question is who is the GREATEST EMCEE OF ALL TIME....KRS-ONE...1000%...debate it all you want but i can back it up simple...

Rakim for a long time was my favorite...i didnt think there was another emcee that could touch Rakim on the mic...he fathered the styles that are still used today, i.e. my style for example is a product of Rakim...but in terms of consistency...he lacks...and thats the issue with many rappers...inconsistencies tarnish their position on my list of greatest emcees...and then you have emcees like big daddy kane who deserves a spot but then again he hasnt been relevant in 20 years..same goes for almost everyone from the Juice Crew...as a matter of fact the least known from the Juice Crew back then (Masta Ace) is making the BIGGEST impact right now in the underground...so its a shift...Masta Ace who also fathered styles, i.e. Eminem's style was fathered by Masta Ace...

I would love to put Gza on my list...He also deserves a spot...but Gza taught Killah Priest and right now Killah Priest is a WAY BETTER emcee than Gza...anyone that wants to debate that feel free to fight me about it cause I'm ready!...and technically I dont even think I would put Gza at the top of the wu-tang clan...so it cant be Gza....Also..i wouldnt put will smith anywhere near this list ahahah summertime was a cool song but lets keep it real :P ...

Does Nas deserve a spot on the list? absolutely...but does he get TOP honors? im not sure...because i can name artists with better lyrical content and a lot less record sales...and Nas has shown times in the past where he dumbs his lyrics down and thats just annoying...Immortal Technique will never get top honors because he pushed his album back for like 6 years and it drove me insane...also because he hasnt been out long enough to really prove he can hold up consistently

lowkey?.......anyways..

HOWEVER...KRS-One has made over 10 albums spanning over 20 years...EVERY album is a banger...he epitomizes the role of the emcee in every method possible...from lyrical content, to presence, to flow, to control..to EVERYTHING...and he was CONSISTENT! he still is...so I wont give a top 5 or 10....but like KRS said "I'm not sayin I'm number one, uhh I'm sorry, I lied. I'm number one, two, three, four and five!"

I'll respond to this a bit more fully when I have time, but for the time being...

KRS-One is legendary, no doubt. But he will always be remembered as a battle MC, and thats a big let down for him. Also, until he can write something like this:

"Through the lights cameras and action, glamour glitters and gold

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe

When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast

to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets

Live on the run, police paying me to give in my gun

Trick my Wisdom, with the system that imprisoned my son

Smoke a gold leaf I hold heat, nonchalantly

I'm grungy, but things I do is real it never haunts me

while, funny style niggaz roll in the pile

Rooster heads profile on a bus to Riker's Isle

Holdin weed inside they ***** with they minds on the

pretty things in life, props is a true thug's wife

It's like a cycle, niggaz come home, some'll go in

Do a bullet, come back, do the same ♥♥♥♥ again

From the womb to the tomb, presume the unpredictable

Guns salute life, rapidly, that's the ritual" - Nas

And I can't believe I left out Masta Ace! And DMX!

Marley Marl isnt an emcee -_-

Quit hating on Marley Marl you KRS groupie :P

(I must have subconsciously been thinking about the greatest DJ's of all time as well!)

He did that collabo with KRS!

My list:

1. Kanye West - You can debate me all you like on this one! I like Kanye because I can actually relate to some of his songs, because alot of them refer to first-world problems.

2. Drake - He is a pretty versatile guy!

3. Jay-Z - Easily one of the best rappers ever.

4. Method Man - My favourite from the Wu!

5. Tyler, The Creator - The guy has some ridiculous lyrics!

Some of my other favourite rappers are Rakim, Big L, Ice Cube, Nas, DMX, Biggie, DMC, Ghostface Killah, 50 Cent, Snoop, Styles P, Black Thought from the Roots, Andre 3000, Big Boi, RZA, GZA, Pharrell and Lupe Fiasco.

I would have definitley put Kanye up there... if he had stopped after his second album -_- And Drake, I say uhhhh???? I'll give you Jay although I'm not a fan of his.

Ahh Writeous is right. It's hard to separate the lyrics from from the content, production, marketing and all the other crap that comes with it.

And seriously, Kanye? He's just an arrogant poser. He's nothing, nothing, nothing compared to the other rappers in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svW4D4rtdpw

In what way is he a poser? How many people go from being just a beatmaker to a lyricist to an artist? Man have you listened to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy? Kanye has collaborated with so many different types of musicians, he's collabed from Mos Def to Chris Martin to Common to Raekwon and even GFK. And the best thing about Kanye, he has grown as an artist in each album he has made, he tries a new style and is willing to take risks, and still he comes out with fantastic music. How could you possibly dismiss lyrics like: "Fresh air, Rolling down the window, Too many Urkels on your team thats why your wins low!", "Now, tell me that aint insecurr, The concept of school seems so securr, Sophomore three yerrs aint picked a careerrr, She like 'f*** i'll just stay down hurr and do me', Cos thats enough money to buy her a few paris of new airs, And her baby daddy don't really care, She's so precious, With the peer pressure, Couldn't afford a car so she named her daughter Alexus", "And i'm back to tear it up, Haters start your engines, I hear 'em gearing up, People talk so much sh** about me at barber shops, They forget to get they hair cut, Okay fair enough, The streets is flaring up, Cos they want gun talk, Or i dont wear enough, Baggy clothes, Reeboks or Addidas, Can I add that he do spaz out at his shows?", "If we die in each others arms, Still get laid in that afterlife" etc., etc.,.

Not only that, Kanyes production is ridiculous. He never pretended he was from the hood, never claimed to be a gangster, or fire a gun, he just makes music about his misadventures in a seemingly average life and then his rise to fame, success and its issues. Few rappers can achieve like Kanye has. The amount of people that said 'Stick to producing' etc., he became more critically acclaimed and sold more than most fo them combined. Name one person who has gone from being a rapper to an artist, let alone from a beatmaker!

Honestly. I really don't get how those lyrics are good. :blink:

Maybe it's because I like rappers with a bit more depth. If I wanted to know about how bad first world problems are, I'd listen to my cousins rap.

Eminem was good, and creative. But now he just moans about everything, it's boring and ungrateful.

Hmm, maybe I critique music differently to you guys.

Immortal Technique.

Lowkey.

Mic Righteous.

Reasons are simply for their lyrics. They speak to me. That's it. Some people prefer poofy love songs or depressing slow jams. I prefer these 3^.

my list would look WAY different than any of yours....but i cant number them...but i will say this..if your question is who is the GREATEST EMCEE OF ALL TIME....KRS-ONE...1000%...debate it all you want but i can back it up simple...

Rakim for a long time was my favorite...i didnt think there was another emcee that could touch Rakim on the mic...he fathered the styles that are still used today, i.e. my style for example is a product of Rakim...but in terms of consistency...he lacks...and thats the issue with many rappers...inconsistencies tarnish their position on my list of greatest emcees...and then you have emcees like big daddy kane who deserves a spot but then again he hasnt been relevant in 20 years..same goes for almost everyone from the Juice Crew...as a matter of fact the least known from the Juice Crew back then (Masta Ace) is making the BIGGEST impact right now in the underground...so its a shift...Masta Ace who also fathered styles, i.e. Eminem's style was fathered by Masta Ace...

I would love to put Gza on my list...He also deserves a spot...but Gza taught Killah Priest and right now Killah Priest is a WAY BETTER emcee than Gza...anyone that wants to debate that feel free to fight me about it cause I'm ready!...and technically I dont even think I would put Gza at the top of the wu-tang clan...so it cant be Gza....Also..i wouldnt put will smith anywhere near this list ahahah summertime was a cool song but lets keep it real :P ...

Does Nas deserve a spot on the list? absolutely...but does he get TOP honors? im not sure...because i can name artists with better lyrical content and a lot less record sales...and Nas has shown times in the past where he dumbs his lyrics down and thats just annoying...Immortal Technique will never get top honors because he pushed his album back for like 6 years and it drove me insane...also because he hasnt been out long enough to really prove he can hold up consistently

lowkey?.......anyways..

HOWEVER...KRS-One has made over 10 albums spanning over 20 years...EVERY album is a banger...he epitomizes the role of the emcee in every method possible...from lyrical content, to presence, to flow, to control..to EVERYTHING...and he was CONSISTENT! he still is...so I wont give a top 5 or 10....but like KRS said "I'm not sayin I'm number one, uhh I'm sorry, I lied. I'm number one, two, three, four and five!"

If your mentioning Juice Crew, you need to mention Kool G Rap! Kool G has to be the most influential rapper of all time, his style was revolutionary. He fathered Nas' style and I would even argue Big L's style. Although I think I agree with you on the whole GZA/Killah Priest thing. Not a huge fan of Killah Priest tbh though.

Bro Will Smith can rhyme circles all day long! He's made some of the best tracks of all time, and to this day has remarkable rhyming ability. If you don't believe me, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wr5m3D9hRQ - FIRE! Plus he always kept it clean, and he really took hip hop to a new level.

Nas released an instant classic! Destroyed Jay Z, held up against Pac, and probably would have won that battle to if Pac didn't die. Plus Nas is easily one the most versatile MC's out there today, making tracks like 'The message' to 'I can'. Nas will always be relevant.

KRS-One is sick, but like I said before, he will always be known as a battle MC. Which is a shame.

Reasons are simply for their lyrics. They speak to me. That's it. Some people prefer poofy love songs or depressing slow jams. I prefer these 3^.

But is that enough to make Tech the GOAT?

What about Chuck D, and Dead prez?

^ I like Dead Prez too, dunno about Chuck D.

Chuck D is from Public Enemy! The grandaddy of 'political rap'! I can't remember who said it but someone said he commanded the same presence and authority as Malcolm X.

See I think Dead Prez have much more polished rhymes than Tech, and there flow is just so much more pristine to.

The bridge is over, the bridge is over, bididibaibai! :lol: WADADA-dang, wadadada-dang, hey! Listen to my 9mm go BANG! It's been ages since I listened to some KRS-One. lalalaLAlalalala-la-la-la-la-la. It's all coming back now. xD