Maniac Muslim Forums
white-rose

Understanding Poetry - 2

Salaam all current/future poetry lovers and poets,

I know a lot of you enjoy poetry and I would like to as well. There are times when I can't figure out what a poet is trying to convey and therefore I'd love your participation. In order to widen my horizon and others' to a wider selection, I was thinking if people would like to post their favourite poems and tell us how you interpret it, how it makes you feel, what it reminds you of and let us all discuss them together?

So post away when ever you are ready. :)

Wa AlaykumuSalaam wa Rahmatullah,

Hmmmm, the beauty of poetry is that each person understands it differently and there necessarily isn't always one message/topic being spoken about. The message understood is dependant upon the listener/reader, I guess. I will post some of my favourites later on InShaAllah, let me just dig them up first.

I agree. But it's still interesting to see how people interpret different lines in different ways. And sure, post away. :D

So how do we do this, split the verses? or overall?

If it's very long then split it. Like if it's more than 15.

Can we go with Crying Poetry, please? :D

Also, coz then we have the poet come in and tell us how far/close we our interperations were to his intended message.

Awesome idea!

Guest Fufu Xiawoun

omg, im so excited! lol.

Alright so i'm gonna be cheeky and pick Person 2's set of verses :P

Person 1

I'm a crying Poet, seeking elevation on broken wings, purity within like when angels sing/

The unmistakable tune, played on violins missing its strings/

I'm a crying Poet, with the adrenaline that rushes through my veins as my blood drains/

suffering migraines, immense pains, the memories remain like the color of blood stains/

I'm a crying Poet, and this is a psychological coup d'etat, fight between a Proletariat and a Bourgeois/

I swear this is my soul's last hurrah like a palestinian boy fresh out of rocks/

I'm a crying Poet, and I communicate my feelings through smoke signals/

With flames my brain kindles, I put out the fire with tears my face sprinkles/

Take a fistful of the drops that trickle, to you its drizzle but they explode like missles/

Person 2 = FUFUs bit

I'm a crying Poet, Roses blacken and reduced to ashe, blossoms I amass, counting the stems in hand/

Homes crumble upon impact from bombs blast, but its all poetry in contrast once the pen makes contact/

I'm a crying Poet, suffering through untouchable visual effects like a hologram/

A form of poetry others misunderstand, I satisfy their addictive demands across distant lands like contraband/

I'm a crying Poet, crying on a blank sheet of paper, cause I dont see the sheet, I see endless acres/

Covering the surface with the beauty of nature, I'm not just a poet I'm a verbal painter/

Painting the images my mind witnesses, the last tear drops once the paper finishes/

I paint for forgotten villages, and others cry for the privilage of the experience/

I'm a crying Poet, and its to Allah I've pledged my devotion, each word spread across oceans/

Unstoppable like solar powered locomotion, my words transend time, avoiding erosion/

Keeping my eyes open, focused, moving away from the currents like ignoring commotion/

I'm a crying Poet, no one agrees with me, my views or my testimonies/

My soul's allegory, I move the crowd, the ultimate master of ceremonies/

I'm a crying Poet, trapped between four shrinking walls, the end of my journey, the final curtain call/

Person 3

I'm a crying Poet, Don't act like you dont know it, don't act like you didn't hear my heart exploded/

The events are duly noted, recorded for those that have previously scolded/

I'm a crying Poet, My beard is brillo pad thick, and inshallah it grows indefinite/

When it comes to the sunnah I've read the fine print, Allah wanted us to look different if you cant take the hint/

I'm a crying Poet, My home is where ever I lay my head, and my family is anyone with whom my hands break bread/

Anywhere in the world I can make my own bed, heal the wounds that bled, my Ummah is widespread/

I'm a crying Poet, My poems grow like crops, and my harvest stays on top/

Every beautiful word I've never forgot, and my heartbeat won't stop until the last tear drops

Guest Fufu Xiawoun

Can two more people volunteer? and then we can get this party started iA :dance:

Sonnet 116 by Shakespeare

Let me not to the marriage of true minds

Admit impediments. Love is not love

Which alters when it alteration finds,

Or bends with the remover to remove:

O no! it is an ever-fixed mark

That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

It is the star to every wandering bark,

Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks

Within his bending sickle's compass come:

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,

But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

If this be error and upon me proved,

I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

This is meaningful/deep to me because I feel like he describes what true love really is. One of my English professors introduced me to this, and she went through this poem line by line, but it was a while ago. It reminds me of what it means to really love Allah, in all circumstances/situations good and bad. So long as we have the true love of Allah in our hearts, and we are always sincerely thanking Him in all situations, and trust Him without any shadow of a doubt, we can never go wrong. I'm not there yet, but hopefully one day, insha Allah. This Sonnet is awesome!

Okay, I had kinda started off with Fufu's interpretation of The Crying Poet so I'll just start from there and continue the rest later, inshallah. Also, I'm not very good at interpreting poetry so here's a bit of my attempt. I could be completely off, thinking way too much or not enough so bare with me.

I'm a crying Poet, seeking elevation on broken wings,

Crying poet could represent sadness or a person trying to convey deep emotions rather than regular thoughts. He wants to achieve a higher status or a goal but his broken wings represent his obstacles that he must overcome in order to achieve it. Or perhaps a struggle that he persists through despite his disabilities.

purity within like when angels sing

Purity could represent a pure message or pure intentions that come from hearing God's words (Quran) that were delivered by angels.

The unmistakable tune, played on violins missing its strings

An unmistakable tune could be a message everyone knows or a situation everyone is aware of. The violins are an instrument/medium for delivering those tunes or messages but missing strings could be the medium used to convey this message is ineffective.

I'm a crying Poet, with the adrenaline that rushes through my veins as my blood drains

Repetition of his status reminds you what the message and what emotions are meant to be conveyed. He is charged with emotions and feelings despite his wounds and trauma.

suffering migraines, immense pains, the memories remain like the color of blood stains/

He keeps going in spite of the all that he suffers to convey his message. Memories that are etched into his brain. But blood stains imply the kind of memories they are.

Inshallah I'll do the rest tomorrow. :)

The rest:

I'm a crying Poet, and this is a psychological coup d'etat, fight between a Proletariat and a Bourgeois/

This part was harder since it required a little bit of googling. Now the poetry is getting down to identify what the poetry is about. A struggle between two classes. But it is not of a physical nature.

I swear this is my soul's last hurrah like a palestinian boy fresh out of rocks/

The reference to a palestinian boy fresh out of rocks explains how this might be last effort being made while not knowing what options the future might present.

I'm a crying Poet, and I communicate my feelings through smoke signals/

To send and interpret smoke signals requires expertise and explains that even though the poet knows what he wants to get across, it may not be interpreted easily.

With flames my brain kindles, I put out the fire with tears my face sprinkless

Although the mind and heart are in anguish, the only release of frustrations is through the tears that fall from his eyes.

Take a fistful of the drops that trickle, to you its drizzle but they explode like missles

Comparing tears to missles could explain the emotions attached to those tears and the true feelings that caused them.

Can two more people volunteer? and then we can get this party started iA :dance:

I don't understand what the volunteers are meant to do.

*snip*

I should not have waited.

It would have been better

To have slept and dreamed,

Than to have watched night pass,

And this slow moon sink.