Maniac Muslim Forums
Haku

Best Gagh is live gagh

God r-z, this is just awful. You ARE weird. The cuttlefish video, that thing looks like it's in pain. :( Just a sick video. Why would you post that? WHY?!!!

herbivorous societies look at us in a same, you know? Only difference is, we give pain before eating. These people give pain while eating.

And completely unnecessarily, I would've thought. You can despatch an animal quickly and as painlessly as possible, at the table even, then dip it into soy before eating, so why all the unnecessary eating of live things? Jus weird.

... I might be tempted to try one though. I mean if it was right there. And everyone else was doing it. Just to see what all the fuss was about. Maybe.

herbivorous societies look at us in a same, you know? Only difference is, we give pain before eating. These people give pain while eating.

No. What we do is kill the animal so as to relieve it of any pain before we actually eat it. What these people are doing is like taking a lamb and just starting to eat it's limb first so that it feels every bite. It's seriously awful. I could not watch any of those videos.

Also, just because people eat vegetables and plants doesn't mean plants do not sense 'pain'. They may be experiencing pain in their own way but cannot relate it. Well, I have no proof for it but it's what I've always thought of as a child so I never plucked leaves and flowers because I didn't want to hurt the plant. -_-

I think the research shows that that is highly unlikely - plants don't have peripheral pain receptors nor a central nervous system to tell them that an external stimulus has been processed as pain. And I guess if you think about it in evolutionary terms, pain serves a purpose - it tells you something is hurting the body, possibly in a way that impairs its functioning (e.g. get your foot crushed, you'd want to know because when a predatory comes along you need to be able to run from it with two working feet). I can't think how it would serve any purpose in a plant, a plant can't defend itself or run away.

Plants have other defense mechanisms like thorns, poisonous fruits, etc. And yes, they do not feel pain in the same way in which we experience pain but I still find it cruel to damage them.

True, but those are all passive defense mechanisms that are not affected by pain (e.g. thorns don't migrate to the site of a painful stimulus etc).

I agree with you that it seems cruel to damage plants, but to me it says more about the person doing the damaging than of the plant itself!

plants have evolved to have parts of it to be eaten, so they can procreate. there is no parellel between devouring plants and animals.

Gagh? More like GAG.

I read lobsters don't have strong pain receptors so they can't actually feel it when you put them in a pan of boiling water.

Haraam, that is so awful. The snake, fine, he killed and gutted it efficiently, it was only moving due to involuntary reflex. But the fish - that was messed up, why would you scale, score and deep fry a living thing? That is just cruel. There's disagreement over whether fish feel pain or not, but I think the weight of evidence supports the fact that they do. And a deep fried fish is a deep fried fish, whether it's mouth or gills move or not, so you can't really argue that it's essential to the flavour of the dish.

Are we allowed to eat living animals? Before killing them? Or do fish not count?

what about grasshoppers.