Maniac Muslim Forums
Ishavemychesthair2

London Summer Olympics 2012

One thing that really takes the 'shine' off the Olympics for me (not that it had much in the first place :P) is that none of the Muslim athletes are fasting. They got a fatwa saying they can make it up another time (!) since the Olympics falling in Ramadan is 'unavoidable' for them.

I would NOT like to me the mufti who made up that ijtihad :/

It reminded me of the 96 Atlanta Olympics where two of the Christian runners didn't participate because it was on a Sunday (their 'day of rest') and so the run was moved. Imagine *if* all the Muslim athletes together petitioned the OIC for the timing of the Games on the basis that they could not participate during Ramadan. They would have little choice but to oblige considering how many Muslims there are performing.

My MIL also told me the Pakistani cricket team don't fast in Ramadan when they play away matches.

If there's not a clearer 'test' of where your priorities lie, I don't know what is.

I assumed they all fasted. :ph34r:

I was so annoyed on Thursday when everything was so packed, and us Londoners just wanted to get home but everything was so packed and herds and herds of people just barge you and shove their fat asses in the tubes and you're trapped. I made a concious effort to screwface every person who looked like they were here for the games. Then I got home, felt guilty and on Friday I was trying to compensate by smiling at everyone, whether their for the games or just going home. Plus, it was Friday - two days off.

I'm so glad the closing ceremony is on Sunday, honestly if I had the dough I would buy mitahi for all of London just to celebrate, minus Boris he ain't getting none. Ken can take his share.

One thing that really takes the 'shine' off the Olympics for me (not that it had much in the first place :P) is that none of the Muslim athletes are fasting. They got a fatwa saying they can make it up another time (!) since the Olympics falling in Ramadan is 'unavoidable' for them.

It reminded me of the 96 Atlanta Olympics where two of the Christian runners didn't participate because it was on a Sunday (their 'day of rest') and so the run was moved. Imagine *if* all the Muslim athletes together petitioned the OIC for the timing of the Games on the basis that they could not participate during Ramadan. They would have little choice but to oblige considering how many Muslims there are performing.

My MIL also told me the Pakistani cricket team don't fast in Ramadan when they play away matches.

If there's not a clearer 'test' of where your priorities lie, I don't know what is.

Atlanta is in Georgia. In the Bible Belt. Would that make a difference on how many ppl would show up if the Olympic Committee didn't accommodate for the Christians' religious views?

Why would you think the mufti "made up" the ijtihad?

I didn't mean "made up" as in fabricated it, I mean "made up" as in 'arrived to that conclusion'. Awkward phrasing!

Also Ramadan is a MASSIVE deal- it's pretty much the only thing that brings together the least 'practising', most 'practising' and completely non practising (and even ex Muslim) Muslims alike. Plus there are soo many Muslim countries and athletes, they had a strong hand to negotiate if they would have united on the decision to.

I know what you mean, its really bad they are missing all of Ramadan, but how can they fast and compete? These athletes need so much calories, its almost unreal! If they fasted, they'd all be fainting then whats the point? And who says they will be fit enough in four years to compete again? I'm not saying it should come above Ramadan, but sometimes things are once in a lifetime. At least they consulted a sheikh on the issue and didn't just do it without Islamic advice.

I meant more like, couldn't the games be moved a fortnight? That's literally all it would take to be clear of Ramadan this year..

But that's the thing man, ramadan is so important the only time you would give it up is when you physically cannot fast - apart from that why on earth would you give it up? Nothing in the world is worth giving up your fast for. Some of my cousins were told not to fast because they have cricket practice on Sundays and I was shaking my head in disbelief - how can you teach your kid this is okay?

Also Ramadan is a MASSIVE deal- it's pretty much the only thing that brings together the least 'practising', most 'practising' and completely non practising (and even ex Muslim) Muslims alike. Plus there are soo many Muslim countries and athletes, they had a strong hand to negotiate if they would have united on the decision to.

:lol:

I gotcha @ the mufti thing.

Anyways, I don't really care for the Olympics, but re: the Pakistani cricketers, I'm pretty sure it would thinking along the lines of providing for one's family, since they could get kicked out of the squad. Honestly, some of the cricketers come from poor households and I think judging them on whether or not they fast just isn't right.

Although to be fair, many cricketers did fast, but it affected their Test cricket game.

Then we should be careful and choose the right kinda jobs that don't affect the basic faraids.

Fasts don't end til well into the evening/night, and many of the events have to be held in the daylight. I'm just asking to clarify your post - when could they move the events to, then?

Do you remember what sports the athletes in '96 were competing in? I didn't know that such a thing had happened, and I'd love to know more.

Also, there are a bunch of Muslims fasting - Mohamed-Khaled Belabbas, Noor al-Malki, and there was definitely someone from Britain, if I remember correctly.

Oh, and apparently the Islamic Human Rights Commission and other countries like Turkey and Morocco had lobbied for a schedule change, but the Olympic Committee refused to do it.

Also, one of the fatwas issued about the fasting didn't say that it was OK for the athletes to postpone their fasts because they were playing in the Olympics, it was that they could delay them since they were travelling, which has clear Islamic basis.

I just think we should steer clear of judging people. It's unfortunate that the games had to fall during Ramadan, but no one's Iman is perfect, and you can never really know what other people are going through.

Fasts don't end til well into the evening/night, and many of the events have to be held in the daylight. I'm just asking to clarify your post - when could they move the events to, then?

I meant a different time altogether (i.e.: bringing it forward a couple of weeks- not that the actual games during the day be moved)

Do you remember what sports the athletes in '96 were competing in? I didn't know that such a thing had happened, and I'd love to know more.

The Christian runners backing out was in the running- I don't know what distance, I'm sure there is much info online about it though..

Also, there are a bunch of Muslims fasting - Mohamed-Khaled Belabbas, Noor al-Malki, and there was definitely someone from Britain, if I remember correctly.

That's good for them masha'Allah, I was more making reference to the fatwa passed allowing others to make up their fasts later ONLY because of the Olympics, not because of being travellers (which is a valid exemption that nobody would argue with)

Oh, and apparently the Islamic Human Rights Commission and other countries like Turkey and Morocco had lobbied for a schedule change, but the Olympic Committee refused to do it.

That's really unfortunate :(

Also, one of the fatwas issued about the fasting didn't say that it was OK for the athletes to postpone their fasts because they were playing in the Olympics, it was that they could delay them since they were travelling, which has clear Islamic basis.

Travelling is an exemption- there's no discussion on that point. What isn't is delaying just for the Olympics.

I just think we should steer clear of judging people. It's unfortunate that the games had to fall during Ramadan, but no one's Iman is perfect, and you can never really know what other people are going through.

It's pretty sad that you can't have a general discussion (i.e.: not naming athletes or countries etc) about the matter of people being excused from fasting for the Olympics without being accused of being judgemental. This is the way to gradually whittle down the boundaries of discussion until they are so PC and nicey-nicey that nobody dare voice any opinion or ask any question that may potentially upset others. If the issue was me saying 'Hey! Did you know the runner Abdus Salam from Somalia wasn't fasting even though he's not travelling- what a faasiq! What a loser! How disgusting!' then that's one thing, but bringing up the issue in a thread about the Olympics and making reference to what happened in previous Olympics with the OIC bowing to religious requirements is not people 'judging' others. It's not fair to try to gag people by pulling the 'judgement' card.

tumblr_m8ejndlA5M1rnmfk9o1_250.giftumblr_m8ejndlA5M1rnmfk9o2_250.giftumblr_m8ejndlA5M1rnmfk9o3_250.giftumblr_m8ejndlA5M1rnmfk9o4_250.gif

This guy was fantastic.

Oooh my gosh, in the 'Greatest Olympic Moments' show, there showed one the Olympics in the 80s where the bar was set too low than the official height measurements and every single gymnast would fall, buckle and injure themselves on it. People were so confused why everything was such a disaster until they decided to check and called in a guy to measure (WITH A TAPE MEASURE!) how high it was off the floor and they found it 5cm shorter than the guidelines. It was so nuts...4 years training for somebody to set up the equipment wrong!