Maniac Muslim Forums
Ishavemychesthair2

London Summer Olympics 2012

^ lol yes a while ago..

aaaand I'm going to stop spamming this thread now because cherry will kill me; she has my home address -_-

I meant a different time altogether (i.e.: bringing it forward a couple of weeks- not that the actual games during the day be moved)

The Christian runners backing out was in the running- I don't know what distance, I'm sure there is much info online about it though..

That's good for them masha'Allah, I was more making reference to the fatwa passed allowing others to make up their fasts later ONLY because of the Olympics, not because of being travellers (which is a valid exemption that nobody would argue with)

That's really unfortunate :(

Travelling is an exemption- there's no discussion on that point. What isn't is delaying just for the Olympics.

It's pretty sad that you can't have a general discussion (i.e.: not naming athletes or countries etc) about the matter of people being excused from fasting for the Olympics without being accused of being judgemental. This is the way to gradually whittle down the boundaries of discussion until they are so PC and nicey-nicey that nobody dare voice any opinion or ask any question that may potentially upset others. If the issue was me saying 'Hey! Did you know the runner Abdus Salam from Somalia wasn't fasting even though he's not travelling- what a faasiq! What a loser! How disgusting!' then that's one thing, but bringing up the issue in a thread about the Olympics and making reference to what happened in previous Olympics with the OIC bowing to religious requirements is not people 'judging' others. It's not fair to try to gag people by pulling the 'judgement' card.

Ooooh thanks for clarifying, that makes more sense. So they'd have to push it 2-4 weeks back (can't remember when it started). That would have been a lot better. They certainly couldn't have changed it last minute for the Muslim athletes (i.e. this year), because so much planning goes into it. However, I wonder when they decided the dates and when exactly the Muslim countries petitioned them to change it. If they petitioned this year, it makes sense that they couldn't accommodate them, and it would have been very shortsighted on the Muslim countries' part not to realize that Ramadan would fall during the games sooner.

The example you brought up with the Christian athletes really isn't the same, then, though. It's one thing to delay one event from a Sunday to a Monday, and an altogether different undertaking to push the games back a few weeks. No way would this have happened unless someone raised a concern when they were actually deciding on the dates.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as censoring the discussion. Of course we should talk about this, but in a way that doesn't pass judgment on the athletes. I was just concerned because some posts said things like "it makes it clear where their priorities lie," and I thought that was crossing a line. Saying that people's priorities lie elsewhere is basically saying that they don't care about being a good Muslim, which I'm sure you would agree isn't right.

*insert comment about how now the Olympics are over that the Muslim Ummah can stop wasting their time watching it and instead worry about their fellow muslim brothers and sisters in Burma and Syria*

I didn't realise that if I watched the Olympics I was meant to cut myself off from the rest of the world and stop caring, praying and giving charity to people who need it. Meh.

Ooooh thanks for clarifying, that makes more sense. So they'd have to push it 2-4 weeks back (can't remember when it started). That would have been a lot better. They certainly couldn't have changed it last minute for the Muslim athletes (i.e. this year), because so much planning goes into it. However, I wonder when they decided the dates and when exactly the Muslim countries petitioned them to change it. If they petitioned this year, it makes sense that they couldn't accommodate them, and it would have been very shortsighted on the Muslim countries' part not to realize that Ramadan would fall during the games sooner.

The example you brought up with the Christian athletes really isn't the same, then, though. It's one thing to delay one event from a Sunday to a Monday, and an altogether different undertaking to push the games back a few weeks. No way would this have happened unless someone raised a concern when they were actually deciding on the dates.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as censoring the discussion. Of course we should talk about this, but in a way that doesn't pass judgment on the athletes. I was just concerned because some posts said things like "it makes it clear where their priorities lie," and I thought that was crossing a line. Saying that people's priorities lie elsewhere is basically saying that they don't care about being a good Muslim, which I'm sure you would agree isn't right.

It's possible to know even from two years ago or more round about when Ramadan would fall this year, so like you said not sure when they put their petition forward, but there's always guessing. Like next year we know Ramadan will start around mid-July. It goes in patterns, every month three times. Late, middle and early.

I am so so soo happy now that there are less people on the tubes. I actually get off at random stops just so I can smell the fresh air, look around, feel the raindrops on the benches and know that when I catch the next tube there will definitely be a seat - my favourite seat! I love that I can sit on my favourite seat.

Alhumdulilah so glad it's over.

:wub:

Five days to go until the Paralympics! #letthegamesbegin.

Exciting stuff! I am looking forward to watching the cycling track and swimming.

Anyone going to any games?

P.s who really cares if Muslim athletes were fasting or not, stop judging your not accountable for their actions remember.

Five days to go until the Paralympics! #letthegamesbegin.

Exciting stuff! I am looking forward to watching the cycling track and swimming.

Anyone going to any games?

P.s who really cares if Muslim athletes were fasting or not, stop judging your not accountable for their actions remember.

+ 1

I really like Ellie Simmonds, the girl with dwarfism, she's amazing mashallah. Not going to anything, but they seem to expect this will be just as packed as the olympics.

+ 1

:rolleyes:

Perhaps you two should do some comprehension exercises. Or maybe even basic reading.

So awesome. They were going to do some dawah training program in UAE but they never got in touch with me regarding it. :cry:

If the Olympics weren't in Ramadan, I would have watched more. I only saw a few races.

Also, cherry, I don't know if we were watching the same opening ceremony but to me it seemed quite sucky. Then again ESPN may have just skipped the whole Queen bit because I never saw any of it. The Chinese ceremony was spectacular though. I don't know how you can compare. Even a sporting event that India had (common wealth games) had a spectacular ceremony.

:rolleyes:

Perhaps you two should do some comprehension exercises. Or maybe even basic reading.

There's a lot you could do too.

So awesome. They were going to do some dawah training program in UAE but they never got in touch with me regarding it. :cry:

Oh gosh really? The Call of Duty ones?

The way they organised the logistics of these 500 is amazing....even if for no shahadas, just for Muslims to have an active presence there mashaAllah!

I don't really know what they were going to call it but it was supposed to be in June. They took my email and mobile number and nothing. :( And yeah, it was quite amazing how they went about it and that they managed to get conversions in such a short amount of time. InshaAllah those new Muslims have some place to fall back on for support.

I don't really know what they were going to call it but it was supposed to be in June. They took my email and mobile number and nothing. :( And yeah, it was quite amazing how they went about it and that they managed to get conversions in such a short amount of time. InshaAllah those new Muslims have some place to fall back on for support.

Aw man, I hope they come through on it soon insha'Allah- iERA just have so much going on I can imagine them being swamped. Hopefully they'll at least have an online seminar or something if not an actual course out there. You know, I'm still so surprised that places like the UAE depend on 'Western'-based da'wah orgs to hold courses and things like this, I really would have thought you guys would be full with the 'cream of the crop' people there as natives to deliver stuff like this!

And yeah, those new Muslims are kept in touch with- though I'm not sure how closely since many people came internationally for the Olympics so wouldn't be based near London where a lot of the support-base is.