Maniac Muslim Forums
Wet Socks

Leaving "Islam"

The last year or so I've been dealing with a lot of internal questions regarding Islam's role in people's lives

After much deliberation I've decided that this isn't what I've signed up for when I solemnly professed my submission to the one God and only the one God as well as my acceptance of his holy scripture revealed by Muhammad, two things that I still standby uncompromisingly today.

But in reality, I've taken up much more than that, I taken up a whole new set of political views, legal views, and customs that I never truly believed in. I am not one who is able to live a lie hoping that one day I might believe in it, such a thing would be dishonesty oneself and debase all those around you, but above all else it dehumanises you.

I am sick of the hypocrisy of justifying a political system I do not believe in to vainly make it compatible with the humanism I feel, sick of the picking and choosing of "rulings" because those I do not agree with are "extreme" ,yet those that evolve like man-made laws are "moderate" and "acceptable", I'm sick of fighting against the progression of humanity.

"Islam" is no different from the Catholic church, an outdated mode of government run by clergical workers, who act as executive, legislative, and judiciary through the means of a fallacious claim to the immutable word of God. It is tyrannical like no other government, it desires to command you in all things, however mundane. The delusional ones often out of genuinely zeal and piety seek a "revival" of this tyranny but unless humanity decides suddenly to give up all autonomy that will forever remain a delusion; however many martyrs are made.

Fortunately, few of us today genuinely believe in a society run by where theocrats dictate every area of your life, where the law dictates the severing of hands, where the slavery is no sin, where casual conversations between young boys and girls indicate perversion, we merely deal with the job of trying to convince ourselves Islam is something its not in cooperation with like minded priests who go out of their way to put a human face on raw cruelty. The fact that you still live in a society where you had the freedom to ever support such a system is a testament to this.

I am officially severing any ties I have with "moderate Islam" - a pathetic attempt to reconcile 21st century secular ethics that have little basis in Islam with the puritannical theocracy and system of jurisprudence that Islam is bare naked and unapologetic.

I continue to hold with absolute conviction that there is no God but the God of Abraham. Out of my fear of God, I can no longer follow ordinary men who claim his authority, however people may view/label me.

Wet Socks

Ameen @ Musa's dua.

Is there something specifically that's bothering you? May be we can help you? Everyone has doubts from time to time. Or maybe you will feel more comfortable discussing it with just the brothers?

May God guide you to the truth and what's best for you. Ameen.

Wet Socks, I don't understand. You believe in Allah And Muhammad (SWAT), but your giving up on being a Muslim? Your not going to pray any more? Can you please explain what you mean better. I am sorry, but I am just trying to get a grip on what you are saying. Wet Socks, people change and may Allah guide you back to him Insha Allah. I think you are young and just need some time to see that Islam is right.

May God facilitate your path towards Him.

ameen.

Are there moderate scholars you can talk to and discuss your misgivings with? In the west, there are quite a bit of people who can address concerns such as yours, and they may be open to engaging with you to deal with whatever is causing your contentions. Shoot them an email and find out what they have to say? Or call them?

This was the natural direction for the path that you followed. You are right, you cannot reconcile foolishness and irrationality with what is logical and rational. Insecurity ruins any person, and any person who holds irrational views will always be insecure because subconsciously they realize how indefensible their views really are. If you cannot desire for another person what you would desire for yourself, then you are a hypocrite, and this goes against the nature of our soul, which we understand to be based on truth. Therefore, such a person either becomes an extremist or abandons their positions all together. Both are arguably extreme acts nonetheless, and both potentially irrational depending on what ones motivation was and how truly well informed they were. But the journey does not end there. There is a notion among Islamic scholars regarding Islamic law, and it is that the law was created to serve humans, humans were not created to serve the law. If the law is not improving the quality of life for all people then it must be abandoned. That is the Islamic spirit, one that is regarded as blasphemous by the majority of Muslims. This is because the majority of Muslims are irrational and insecure, and do not understand their religion. But that goes for the majority of mankind. The greatest fitnah to humanity is literally ignorant people who raise their voices. What I mean by this is such people who speak and act out of turn unjustly, who seize power and influence and oppress others. By your posts I can see that you value logic and reason. Although I think you've used some of it incorrectly in your debates with Musa, I think it's commendable that you have undertaken the path to understanding and using it. Many of us have followed a similar path as your own. For this reason I would recommend that you remain Muslim, partly because it can provide a strength that is not normally found in the human will. However you should leave what you think you understand about religion and Islam. Study the works of Socrates, Parmenides, and many of the early Greek philosophers and their works in order to strengthen the powers of your mind. Some of their writings will also help you to understand the logic and rationality behind many Islamic rulings, such as the refraining from alcohol and premarital sexual experiences, undoubtedly two great factors that influence the course of peoples lives especially in our society. Study the writings of the inheritors of Greek philosophy, namely the Muslims such as Farabi and Ibn Sina and Al Ghazali. Even if you don't want to be Muslim, always keep an open mind and continue to study. Temper yourself so that you can distinguish between motivations that stem from your ego and motivations that stem for your spirit.

You have always been on of the MMers whose posts I have enjoyed Mr Wet Socks- I find them refreshing and different.....it's nice to have a unique perspective in an environment where it's all too easy to get caught up in group think. I also think it's admirable to be critical and self-reflective since this shows an honesty of your spirit- again, in a (religious) environment where norms and boundaries are usually rigorously policed.

With respect to your particular contentions, I don't think there's anything within what you wrote which warrants a leaving of Islam (and I understand you put 'Islam' in inverted commas for that reason)- if you are merely leaving a construction of Islam which has too many holes to be defensible any more.

There are few Muslims (and people in general) who actually contemplate on things like the political and legal systems derived from scripture- and I would hazard a(n educated!) guess that even those amongst the Muslims who do actively learn and inform themselves of this massive topic still have opinions which are evolving and complex. For that reason, I do not think you should be unduly harsh on yourself for not having what you have learnt 'click' with your perspective of reason and logic- there is literally so, so much out there to learn (not merely from a creedal perspective, but a social, historical and geo-political one) and I think you should leave yourself open to learning and investigating further.

Unfortunately, when it comes to religion- it is all too easy to caricature practices, religious leaders and ill-functioning systems of governance so I would not be too perturbed by the fact you find yourself drawing parallels between your conclusions about Islam and that of the Catholic church. Often that's all we know and hear of the Catholic church to begin with (rightly or wrongly) is the institutional hypocrisy, the unjust way of clergy being 'elected', the covered up sexual abuse (!) and the out of date and out of touch edicts which are passed (most famously the discouraging of using condoms in AIDS-stricken regions of Africa). Taking that, it's easy to identify aspects of this with Islamic practice.

Changing opinions and perspective is not a sign of weakness or being 'wrong', it reflects more a sincere character who is open for growth and whose opinions change as knowledge/experiences grow. It may not sound like much comfort to you now, but one thing I always reflect on when it comes to issues I don't understand is that there are people with much stronger intellects, broader knowledge and higher spirituality who have grappled with these issues and come to more than satisfactory conclusions. Sometimes you just need to drink from the knowledge those people have and benefit from their insight. I'm sure with the topics you do not feel convinced by, there are many out there you can get all your tensions and frustrations out with.

May Allah strengthen you and cause you to be firm on your journey to His pleasure. Ameen.

The first sentence is where I'm confused. Do you still believe that God revealed a book through the Prophet Muhammad?

In reply to "where the law dictates the severing of hands, where the slavery is no sin, where casual conversations between young boys and girls indicate perversion."

Allah tells us these things for our own benefit. I never saw any good come out of doing the opposite of what Allah tells us to do. (Although I myself go in the wrong direction, all the while knowing no good will come out of it. =/) In the end I end up suffering when I do wrong/what Allah tells us not to do or when I don't do what Allah tells me to do.

We either learn the easy way or the hard way.

Ameen, InshAllah you see the light May Allah guide you towards him. There is more to islam than just negative politics that the media associate with it....