Maniac Muslim Forums
white-rose

Satyamev Jayate - Victory In Truth show

People, you have to watch the episode. It's seriously positive and inspiring, mashaAllah.

So far they've shared stories about how people have managed to succeed inspite of their disabilities but what they faced when seeking education, travelling, etc.

Okay, it seems to be about honour killing.

what is the summary? Which demographics kill in india?

what is the summary? Which demographics kill in india?

I'm still not sure about whether it was about honor killings or not. Basically it was about those who get married for love and face problems from their families and societies. Some are on the run because they are afraid for their life. Two stories were about people actually getting killed. One couple was taken to court because the girl's family said she was kidnpped. The girl said she was with him out of her own free will. The court ordered police protection to accompany them till wherever they wanted to go but the police left them to a bus depot even though the girl's family was chasing them from court to the depot. Eventually they dragged them out, killed the girl, beat the guy, tied him to the car and dragged him for miles and finally killed him. The other, the girl's family sent the police to harass the guy and his family and even put him in jail for fake charges. In the end, the girl decided she'll go to her family's home for a few days so that the guy can be released from jail. During these days, the guy was getting death threats and one day they found the guy's body. The guy's family have still not seen their daughter-in-law.

Those were the extreme cases. In order cases, they spoke about the panchayat system which is a council formed in a village by the most elder people who decide and pass judgements in cases. One such panchayat ordered the couple be banned from the village forever. Another ordered that no one should assist the couple or their families with anything. Not transport, not sell food, not selling vases to keep their dead relative's ashes.

Is this actually produced by Star India? I can't take ANYTHING they produce or construct seriously.

It's produced by Aamir Khan. It's just hosted on the star networks. Actually it works out perfectly since it comes on star world with English subs. Maybe you should watch an episode and see how you feel about it.

I liked today's episode.(it's repeating on star plus now). It's unfortunate that mostly buildings in India don't even take into consideration about people with disabilities. And this includes residential, governmental, and institutional infrastructures.

Yep, on spousal abuse. Precap showed interviews with men who proudly claim to slap their wives. =/

New Episode about pesticides and the effect on us after consumption of such food.

They started by talking about a dr. doing a research on mother's breast milk containing shocking levels of pesticides.

There were pesticides being sprayed from helicopters over agricultural farms in Kerala (endosulphan) from 1978 to 2000 which led to multiple congenital defects, neurological problems, miscarriages, etc. When a dr. realized it was due to pesticides, he used a court order to stop government spraying of pesticides. Villagers themselves prefer to consume fruits and vegetables that are not grown through use of pesticides but for commercial selling, they use pesticides on their plants. The reason is that insects may cause a few to spoil and people refuse to buy their produce even though insecticides are poisonous if consumed.

Interesting point they mentioned that only 1% of the pesticide goes and falls on the insect destroying the crop and 99$ % falls on the crops, soil and over the environment.

Really upsetting bit where they examined the farmers in Punjab where only 2% land is used in agriculture and farming but 17 - 18% of pesticide use. There is a cancer hospital in a town of Bikaner and TRAIN FULL of cancer patients head to that hospital everyday. The extent is so great that the train is referred to as the Cancer Train. :(

Javed akhtar commenting on his own experience and next a speaker to talk about drunk diving.

Alhumdulillah Islam prohibited it. There's a hijabi in the audience. :P

It's this very stupid Bollywood culture where if you partner leaves you/insults you the best way out is to kill yourself. I remember when I was in college, this girls boyfriend slapped her so she went home and drank bleach, and then afterwards he apologized and made up with her - after she spent yonks in hospital and damaged her insides.

Bollywood is one of the biggest diseases of our times, on par with AIDs and cancer.

So I'm super late in responding to this, but I hope that's okay! I think giving Bollywood the main, or even a chunk of, the responsibility for suicide is a bit simplistic. I agree that perhaps Bollywood has an impact on other dramatic steps, such as eloping, or being a drama queen in general, but suicide is just so drastic. People who kill themselves aren't in the right frame of mind. They feel that they have nothing to lose and that life will never get any better. This is not a result of Bollywood but a result of their circumstances.

I've studied women's issues in India, and I think to assign culpability to Bollywood does a disservice to these women. These women often kill themselves because they don't have anywhere to turn to. Dowry demands are often accompanied by violence and abuse, not just from the husband, but the his parents and siblings as well. If she goes home, her parents will tell her to go back to her husband. If she goes to the police, they will do nothing. If she goes to her husband, she will be humiliated and hit on a daily basis. There are no shelters for her to run to, no resources for her to access, and if she decides to just wing it and run away, she will probably end up either having to go into prostitution because she has no choice, or being abducted/abused/sold into sex slavery.

When you have options like that, is it really all that surprising that you'd rather die? And do you really need Bollywood to push yourself over the edge?

In fact, I'd even go as far to say that wholesome Bollywood movies can even serve a beneficial purpose in that they provide people with some degree of escapism.

New episode on caste system in India. Really sad story at the beginning.