Maniac Muslim Forums
Haku

Shampoo - "No Poo"

did you use baking soda every day?

The idea behind no-poo is not to replace shampoo with baking soda or some other chemical. Idea is to let the hair/scalp do its own thing, and use some thing like baking soda only once in a while if needed.

well with me it's always needed because my head is oilier than john travolta's in Grease.

I shampoo my hair once a week mostly, but very occasionally, twice a week. Thinking of giving this no-poo thing a go, but a week or two with no shampoo sounds a bit of a nightmare. :\

I've been no poo for years. Baking soda and cold vinegar rinse ftw.

Does it actually keep your hair properly clean? I get quite greasy hair.

Does it actually keep your hair properly clean? I get quite greasy hair.

It took a couple weeks to get used to it, but yeah. Incredibly clean. I use the baking soda and vinegar about once a week. Every other time I just use hot water then rinse in cold. It doesn't get greasy at all, in fact I often use a small amount of coconut oil on it to encourage strong follicles and a healthy scalp. I didn't read the whole thread and I don't want to repeat stuff that was probably already but greasy or dry hair is caused by commercial shampoos and conditioners and your scalp gets confused and either over or underproduces your natural, healthy oils. Once you get a good alkaline/acid balance, (couple weeks max) your scalp gets used to doing its job and you'll find yourself with lovely, manageable, independent of chemicals locks.

It took a couple weeks to get used to it, but yeah. Incredibly clean. I use the baking soda and vinegar about once a week. Every other time I just use hot water then rinse in cold. It doesn't get greasy at all, in fact I often use a small amount of coconut oil on it to encourage strong follicles and a healthy scalp. I didn't read the whole thread and I don't want to repeat stuff that was probably already but greasy or dry hair is caused by commercial shampoos and conditioners and your scalp gets confused and either over or underproduces your natural, healthy oils. Once you get a good alkaline/acid balance, (couple weeks max) your scalp gets used to doing its job and you'll find yourself with lovely, manageable, independent of chemicals locks.

Wow, sounds great. Do you make a solution of the baking soda and vinegar?

I've been no poo for years. Baking soda and cold vinegar rinse ftw.

Why did you decide to go no poo?

Wow, sounds great. Do you make a solution of the baking soda and vinegar?

Yeah, like 1/2 and 1/2 baking soda and water (like a paste) and a couple tablespoons of vinegar to a bottle of cold water.

Why did you decide to go no poo?

Some crunchy hippy lady posted about it on another forum I used to be on when I was pregnant for my daughter and I was like that's cool. Around the same time I started hearing all this stuff about phthalates and got freaked out, so yeah.

I'm trying organic royal jelly shampoo. I don't think I can live without shampooing my hair, so I suppose this is a good alternative.

horse shampoo is still going great for me!

As in shampoo for horses, or it's just called horse shampoo? Curious.

and I wonder, does using only water really, actually, clean the hair...?

aaand are people actually washing their hair with baking powder? :unsure: The stuff you put into baking goods to make them rise? Interesting..

I've been using silicon/sulphate/colorant/paraben-free shampoo for a good few years now. A great alternative if you don't want harsh chemicals on your hair/scalp.