Maniac Muslim Forums
SamikinSkywalker

Voice of a Muslimah - Original Acapellas by SamikinSkywalker

That sounds like great advice, I will take it to heart. Have you listened to Yusuf Islam, Sami Yusuf, and others like that? What do you think about their work? And I guess music is about being creative and making the old into the new. I will work on that then. ^_^

I don't like Sami Yusuf much, and I don't really like Yusuf Islam's nasheeds much. Some of them are good, but he did that whole childrens thing which was kind of weird. Sometimes nasheed artists come off as too goody good boys, if that makes sense. No one likes the overly smiley overly lovey dove type. Also their lyrics can be incredibly corny. I like Yusuf Islam's recent cds though. Some of those lyrics are good examples of what Islamic songs can be like. They're not all explicitly Islamic, but they hint at religious ideas.

^ All the nasheeds I've heard so far sounds like jingles. There is no depth. And that aweful nasal whiney voice!

most english nasheeds are lame.

like even if they are arabic and english, and they sing the EXACT SAME THING in both languages, the arabic always sounds good and the english sounds soft. to me.

I think songs in English are expected to be less direct. Don't you think that's the difference when the lyrics are in Arabic vs. English? English songs don't straight up say what the lyricist is trying to get at. It's not like reading a book. They kind of beat around the bush, and people are meant to draw their own conclusions. That differs in some genres, like folk or rap, where story-telling is the main idea.