Maniac Muslim Forums

The only Qawalli-ish bollywood song that I like is:

Lol seriously?I would have thought you'd have gone for the song from Dhadhkan (sp?). The song where she is getting married and leaving.

don't take my criticism too seriously, but...

I have listened to him singing and I hear him going out of tune. Not to mention his hoarse voice.

this is just the opinion of Ghulam Haider Khan which is in wikipedia which you cited. every fan says massive things about his idol. But is there any real reference you could produce. Again, I can hear too, and I hear NFK going off tune.

all this says is that NFK is commercially successful. Same could be said about Britney Spears that she have this many awards and worked with that many artists, etc etc etc. Commerical artists praising each other - not so impressive.

Funny thing is, when NFK works with western artists, his voice is equalized (you can compare the voices in videos). Could it because he can't hold a tune? Or maybe just because he have a hoarse voice?

Criticisms open up the floor to debate, inshaAllah. Of course I don't take it too seriously. Some valid points...

In terms of him going out of tune, you need to bear in mind that 1 - NFK had an incredibly powerful voice, and with the more powerful notes and quick and pitch changes the microphones weren't able to handle it. NFK also sang vibrato, which means he would rapidly change pitch. I suppose the 'hoarseness' of his voice is a subjective thing, and as such I don't think it can be included in this debate.

Ghulam Haider Khan was one of the greatest composers of Indian/asian music. So I think his opinion counts. I don't use wikipedia much lol, but here are a couple of articles from NPR and TIME http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123973589 and http://world.time.com/author/arynbaker/

Even though Ghulam Haider was a fan of Khans, you can't dispute that he had a 6 octave vocal range. The tangible proof is in his singing!

Well to be commercially successful you would need some level of skill! But whats more impressive is that he was a lot more successful in the west than a lot of his contemporaries, a cross-over like that doesn't 'just happen'.

If they had used autotune, I would agree with you that NFK couldn't hold a note, all an equaliser really does is to make sure that the pitch of singing doesn't go outside of a particular range to make sure that the recording sounds balanced.

Oh em gee, I couldn't get past the first 15 seconds of your first link. Do you honestly mean to tell me people listen to this voluntarily and outside of gulags and Punjabi torture dens!? *shudder* Baldy has sunken to new lows.

Oh em gee, I couldn't get past the first 15 seconds of your first link. Do you honestly mean to tell me people listen to this voluntarily and outside of gulags and Punjabi torture dens!? *shudder* Baldy has sunken to new lows.

Yeah, usually they listen to this tutti more than they listen to the Qur'an. And even when the Qur'an is played, it becomes mere entertainment.

To be fair, if Baldy loves listening to overweight, sweaty brown men squawking, then it'd be cheaper to pop down to Chubster's van on a Friday night after they've been at the strawberry laces and gobstoppers..

:/

Loads of ignorance floating about here - Qawali singers sing to a different scales, which sounds 'wrong' to Western trained ears but in their own context they are singing just fine. Every culture has it's own way of expressing musicality, and just because you don't know any better doesn't invalidate it as an art form.

For example: I quite like the sonorous sound of traditional Japanese music, but other people think it sounds like cats wailing:

I also like khaliji music, but that's because of where I grew up, my friends who grew up listening to bollywood hate the stuff, they think it sounds crude and no where near as sophisticated as bollywood

but I quite like that about it.

So yes. Don't rain on Mr Baldy's parade :no:

I like NFK, Mr B, but beyond that not really into Qawali - the only other one I know is that woman... you know the one I mean... that dresses like a guy. She's good. What else would you recommend?

:/

Loads of ignorance floating about here - Qawali singers sing to a different scales, which sounds 'wrong' to Western trained ears but in their own context they are singing just fine. Every culture has it's own way of expressing musicality, and just because you don't know any better doesn't invalidate it as an art form.

For example: I quite like the sonorous sound of traditional Japanese music, but other people think it sounds like cats wailing:

I also like khaliji music, but that's because of where I grew up, my friends who grew up listening to bollywood hate the stuff, they think it sounds crude and no where near as sophisticated as bollywood

but I quite like that about it.

So yes. Don't rain on Mr Baldy's parade :no:

I like NFK, Mr B, but beyond that not really into Qawali - the only other one I know is that woman... you know the one I mean... that dresses like a guy. She's good. What else would you recommend?

Someone who understand cultural nuance! What a refreshing sight!

I also enjoy khaliji and traditional japanese music!

You must be talking about Abida Parveen?

Sabri brothers are good as well, I especially like Saveray Saveray by them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWtLQCto9a8

Let me know what you think :)

I once went to a Qawali night with my mother and her friends when I was 19. The part I liked best was the Punjabi food. Masha Allah. Now I know why they are so jolly and fat.

"Beevi Meri... aur thoda (10-20 pieces) dhokla lo na..."

To be honest, it was too long. Two hours, and I got up for "a brief walk" every fifteen minutes. I did not know Hindi/Urdu/Punjabi at the time, so it was quite boring. Ironically, it was a bunch of non-Muslims who set up and organized the thing. The Qawali singers alone were Muslim. So like, there were one hundred people there, and five of us were Muslim. Yeah, so the non-Muslims were raving about the melody and the inner deep meanings of the Qawalis and how profound they were and stuff.

I understand the languages now, and finally understand like 2% of the prose now. Quite nice things, indeed. Especially analogies to people being birds and how they're caged, and long for freedom. That freedom is with Allah, and once He enlightens our hearts we feel like flying... etc etc etc.

Someone who understand cultural nuance! What a refreshing sight!

I also enjoy khaliji and traditional japanese music!

You must be talking about Abida Parveen?

Sabri brothers are good as well, I especially like Saveray Saveray by them: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BWtLQCto9a8

Let me know what you think :)

Yup, Abida Parveen. The link was really good too - really like it. And I haven't heard this in over a decade but it is Ali's most famous song and I'd forgotten how awesome it is!

Yeah and that's about my knowledge of Qawwali done :D

Lol @ fat and jolly. The One - when I was younger I remember wondering why he sold tobacco too... anyone know the brand I mean? And definitely knowing the language would help, otherwise two hours is way too long. And it's funny you mention non-Muslims organising it, the biggest advocate of Qawali I knew at university was an english guy who was studying music - he loved it. But may be it's when you've studied music you can tune in to the nuances of different musical traditions.