Maniac Muslim Forums
Mufasa

Iftaris of the world, Unite!

yesterday's iftar-

yogurt with lentil balls.

chickpeas + brown chickpeas

dates

some rice thing that my neighbour made, dont know the english name for it. (kichri in urdu)

suhoor-

lentils

chickpeas + brown chickpeas

I'm surprised by how many of you have chickpeas. My iftaars also consider of chickpeas, a date, water, maybe watermelon or juice. There's very little this year. Previous years we also had bhajiyas.

We usually have dates, juice, smoothie or milkshakes, fruit and sometimes an oily snack like samosas/pakoras/kebabs etc.

OMG I thought fruit was the norm for the whole world to eat at iftaar?

My mum n sisters ALWAYS have tea but I tend not to.

Then Maghrib.

Then we have our meal of roti or rice with lentils or curry. Or something else that someone has decided to make.

We usually have dates, juice, smoothie or milkshakes, fruit and sometimes an oily snack like samosas/pakoras/kebabs etc.

OMG I thought fruit was the norm for the whole world to eat at iftaar?

My mum n sisters ALWAYS have tea but I tend not to.

Then Maghrib.

Then we have our meal of roti or rice with lentils or curry. Or something else that someone has decided to make.

we have fruit.

proper desified fruit chaat with chaat masala and mango puree xD

Um...

Saturday, I had dates, water, grapes, plums, then a single roti (flatbread) with lentils, and then aloo chaat.

Yesterday, dates, water, strawberries, peaches. About five small pakoras with ketchup and then aloo chaat again!

i know we get hungry when fasting, but this is actively deliberately obsessing about food. kinda not the spirit, no?

It depends how you are looking at it. Like I got friends on FB who can't even look at a picture of food or see someone else eating, which is just ridiculous, where is their self control? I can talk about food anytime, doesn't mean I'm obsessive over it. What about the other threads we have about food that have recipes? The nutella thread? Coffee? We must be obsessive by nature, since we discuss food all year round!

We must be obsessive by nature, since we discuss food all year round!

of course we are!

Ramadan happens to be that special time of the year when we keep nafs in check, but then again, if you think talking about food is ok, you can ignore my opinion.

Though unfortunately I don't get to fast this year, I still turn up to the dinner table hungrier than all the fast-ers. Aside from sheer greed, is there an explanation for this?

So today masha'Allah we had Pizza Express dough balls with garlic butter (from Tesco!), chilli con carne, flatbread, salad, this Afghan cucumber and yoghurt mix thing very similar to the Greek Tzatziki) and homemade lemonade. What a blessing food is!

Then afterwards I had the MOST DELICIOUS Madjool date with a huge mug of green tea and some bizarre (but yum) sweet-chilli flavoured shelled pistachios.

One of the benefits of having a 9pm iftar is that you can pretty much go the entire day doing other non-food related activity and only get to cooking in the last hour or so- so you still have a whole day to work and then think of iftar prep.

of course we are!

Ramadan happens to be that special time of the year when we keep nafs in check, but then again, if you think talking about food is ok, you can ignore my opinion.

see. i thought we were just talking about what we eat. i had whole wheat noodles with sauteed onions and beets and garlic. and sunny d. most of us are not talking about food per se during the fast, just sharing what we ate/ but that is just my opinion and that can be ignored even better.

see. i thought we were just talking about what we eat. i had whole wheat noodles with sauteed onions and beets and garlic. and sunny d. most of us are not talking about food per se during the fast, just sharing what we ate/ but that is just my opinion and that can be ignored even better.

i have no idea why you guys are talking about what you eat. I also don't know when you talk about it. It's up to you to decide what you do and why. but if i was fasting, I would try to detach my self from desire for food.

i have no idea why you guys are talking about what you eat.

Why do we have a Currently Eating thread? Why do we talk about what we are, wore, read, watched, listened to, etc. Who knows.

i have no idea why you guys are talking about what you eat. I also don't know when you talk about it. It's up to you to decide what you do and why. but if i was fasting, I would try to detach my self from desire for food.

while fasting yes. but this time is also for increasing community bonds and for being/showing gratiftude to Allah(swt) for his bounty. sharing meals is a part of that and sharing with words is how we do here, no?