Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sundayschool

Question Thread

When should children begin fasting? I know the general rule of thumb is when they hit puberty, but I feel like that isn't the full story. Some kids hit puberty at age 7, and others at age 15. I personally feel that someone at 15 should be fasting whether or not they've hit puberty. It's about mental development, too, isn't it, not just sexual maturity?

I was having this discussion with my mom because I found it ridiculous that she was excusing a 15 year old from fasting because he hasn't really hit puberty yet...whereas some really little kids have to start very early just because they hit puberty young!

I'm pretty sure that a Muslim becomes accountable at 15, even if he has not hit puberty. Allahu alim, can anyone confirm this? I'm 90 percent sure 'my Shaykh' told me this, but I can't look it up now since I'm on a phone.

Yup, just confirmed it.

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=3&ID=1554&CATE=389

Also note: "Note that it is obligatory on parents to command their children to perform religious duties once they complete 7 lunar years, and they are sinful if they delay doing this until the children reach puberty."

I always thought you had to start fasting when you were 7 :o Thats what we were told growing up. I started fasting around that time but not full fasts. Just did for as long as I could manage to get used to it kind of thing.

I have a question:

If a person has asthma and severe allergies, does it break his fast if he takes his medicine (without drinking water) to suppress the bothersome symptoms?