Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
///м53я

UAE: Land of no-tax and other questions

Yes fiver. I think it's easy to rag on the UAE, but I feel with the money they have a few of the things, like town planning, education, etc could be run a great deal better than it is. For example I'm always shocked at the roads, the tall tall sky scrapers and so on but no where to park! lol It's silly but it's just one example how in the eagerness to be the most impressive they forget the practicalities that give people a good life. Just generally, with the obscene wealth they have, I'm just shocked at how little the Gulf Arab countries have done with it.

No free press, major human rights violations, no good research, no new technologies... it's sad. IF I HAD THAT MUCH MONEY I COULD DO SO MUCH!!!!

Yes fiver. I think it's easy to rag on the UAE, but I feel with the money they have a few of the things, like town planning, education, etc could be run a great deal better than it is. For example I'm always shocked at the roads, the tall tall sky scrapers and so on but no where to park! lol It's silly but it's just one example how in the eagerness to be the most impressive they forget the practicalities that give people a good life. Just generally, with the obscene wealth they have, I'm just shocked at how little the Gulf Arab countries have done with it.

No free press, major human rights violations, no good research, no new technologies... it's sad. IF I HAD THAT MUCH MONEY I COULD DO SO MUCH!!!!

lol @ no free press. Many of the largest media outlets have offices in the UAE. Major human rights violations? Lets not start with the labor workers again. No good research or technologies? They are doing the best they can to make their people educated and offer them opportunities to shine. Its a work in progress, but they are getting there.

there is room for improvement, but currently UAE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other country I could think off. Safety, wealth, justice, etc.

What about free press like The News of the World which spew lies and ruin peoples lives. Sure there are good papers like the Gurdian but once you grant free press and someone starts lying, are you gonna take free press away, ban that paper? wouldn't people get angry?

The News of the World was shut down after stuff like phone hacking, but imagine if the government tried to shut down The Sun, people would probably get angry. And imagine if you somehow give birth to a media moghul in your country who is powerful enough to influence politics.

I think press has to be regulated to an extent.

lol @ no free press. Many of the largest media outlets have offices in the UAE. Major human rights violations? Lets not start with the labor workers again. No good research or technologies? They are doing the best they can to make their people educated and offer them opportunities to shine. Its a work in progress, but they are getting there.

there is room for improvement, but currently UAE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other country I could think off. Safety, wealth, justice, etc.

have you been to any other country though?

have you been to any other country though?

I have been to most arab countries, and I know how things are in the west. Name a country you know that you can walk at 3 am anywhere at and be completely safe?

UAE comes off like a country where materialism and capitalism have gone mad. I bet if they had more of a representative system, they would be less interested in building things just to show off their wealth, and the 20% of the country below the poverty line would have the chance to elect leaders who might pass economic reforms that would help them. Obviously this is just an outsider's view, and I don't think democracy is the be all and end all solution. The corruption in many American cities is quite criminal; the primary difference is that politicians don't just support new infrastructure to show off- they can only support certain causes when it is politically wise to do so.

please, I'd love to hear what you'd do with your political rights or how you even define them. Its not like the citizens over here have no voice or whatever you might be led to believe. Heck, ANYONE can complain straight on national radio about any issue, and theres always an official responding to the problem and fixing it out. Thats other than the random help the sheikhs give to people who ask them, or not even ask.

It's not what I've been lead to believe, it's what I've seen many many times with my own eyes, from their own media on my numerous visits and one short spell of residency when I was younger. I'm not saying they have absolutely no voice, but no real voice to challenge the status quo. I've never heard anyone ever criticise the royal family - ever. Maybe they don't want to, but the fact remains if they chose to they can be arrested and jailed. The formation of political parties is banned, and people don't often get to decide who they want running the processes that affect their lives. The press is tightly controlled, giving out the government line on pretty much everything, while trailer trash like Kim Kardashian is invited and given free stuff so they can say, see? we must be free! we allowed her in and everything!

My family live there and while it is much, much, better off than Saudi in terms of being welcoming to different people, that doesn't mean a lot more can't be done to strive for improvement.

and trust me, the law in most cases is with the poor. Try going to the justice system here now, and no matter who you're against, you ll get your rights. There was once upon a time corruption, but its been/being slaughtered.

Again, that's your experience that doesn't tally with my own or my families - I see it every time I visit and make the mistake of getting in the 'Indian line' at passport control. Again, no where near as bad as Saudi, but still the contempt, the rudeness, the yelling, it happens and happens often.

give me the outdated tribal system where people are happy any day over the crap political system nobody is ever satisfied with, with every few years a bunch of hobos get elected, steal as much wealth as they can to keep em good for the coming years, and a new candidate steps up later and the cycle continues.

So you want the people who steal your money to have a lineage? Aaaah, I see! Arab to the core, fiver! :P

lol all you like - but the fact remains that it is illegal to say anything that could be interpreted as an 'insult' to the royal family, the ban on plitical parties or suggesting political reform etc etc.. I've seen the local papers - they are mickey mouse affairs that take to the government spin on everything.

And don't say 'labour workers again' as if it's getting boring. The situation is better than other places but the horrific cases are endemic to the region and the first thing that will stop people from doing anything about the issue is treating it as if it's an unfounded issue when it is clearly not.

Again, this is not to rag on them for no reason, I do think they are doing much better than a lot of their neighbours, but it's better not to pretend everything is ideal either.

And I have to stand by with what I said about no good research or technologies - the Gulf is particularly good at buying technologies for sure, but doesn't really stand out in terms of innovation. And as for the wealth - bro, the way Dubai is in love with and courts capitalists and the super wealthy means the country was at a financial standstill for the recession. People were parking their cars at the airport and flying out of there, defaulting on their loans, mortgages and everything. Alhamdulilah you were so protected from it you didn't notice but a lot of jobs and lives were ruined because of the way Dubai handles its financial dealings.

It's not what I've been lead to believe, it's what I've seen many many times with my own eyes, from their own media on my numerous visits and one short spell of residency when I was younger. I'm not saying they have absolutely no voice, but no real voice to challenge the status quo. I've never heard anyone ever criticise the royal family - ever. Maybe they don't want to, but the fact remains if they chose to they can be arrested and jailed. The formation of political parties is banned, and people don't often get to decide who they want running the processes that affect their lives. The press is tightly controlled, giving out the government line on pretty much everything, while trailer trash like Kim Kardashian is invited and given free stuff so they can say, see? we must be free! we allowed her in and everything!

My family live there and while it is much, much, better off than Saudi in terms of being welcoming to different people, that doesn't mean a lot more can't be done to strive for improvement.

Again, that's your experience that doesn't tally with my own or my families - I see it every time I visit and make the mistake of getting in the 'Indian line' at passport control. Again, no where near as bad as Saudi, but still the contempt, the rudeness, the yelling, it happens and happens often.

So you want the people who steal your money to have a lineage? Aaaah, I see! Arab to the core, fiver! :P

First paragraph, not allowing politcal parties is the best thing since sliced bread. Why? Because this way, you stay on everyone's good side. Look at lebanon, one of the first if not the first arab country to have democracy. Its a mess. Nobody cares anymore about what good is being done, but about what sector they belong to and how they went the same old people back on the chairs. Its disgusting. Lebanon is currently the most expensive arab country to live in, and with the least income amongst arab countries. Electricity keeps getting cut on people, every neighborehood follows a certain political party which means you can easily get in trouble, and so on. Also look no further than the hilarious american democracy. Democrates vs Republicans. Same crap, different toilet.

Since you love voting so much, there is voting here :) Its just on the top tier.

and that indian line at passport control is certain individuals of course

:lol:, nah, as long as they are doing good and improving the situation, they can have a lineage :P

UAE comes off like a country where materialism and capitalism have gone mad. I bet if they had more of a representative system, they would be less interested in building things just to show off their wealth, and the 20% of the country below the poverty line would have the chance to elect leaders who might pass economic reforms that would help them. Obviously this is just an outsider's view, and I don't think democracy is the be all and end all solution. The corruption in many American cities is quite criminal; the primary difference is that politicians don't just support new infrastructure to show off- they can only support certain causes when it is politically wise to do so.

and likewise, but they also have the money to show off, so why not?

and those 20% you speak of are foreign workers who earn more here than they do back home and have a job that can support their family. Nobody kidnapped them here. Unless you want the whole country to be full of rich people. Then good luck getting anything that requires tough labor done.

if you are claiming people in the west don't know how things are in the UAE,

how can you turn around and say you know how things are in the west?

the difference is, western media throws sh*t at us and so you end up having clueless people like on this thread for example, who think they know what goes on. It doesn't go the other way around.

lol all you like - but the fact remains that it is illegal to say anything that could be interpreted as an 'insult' to the royal family, the ban on plitical parties or suggesting political reform etc etc.. I've seen the local papers - they are mickey mouse affairs that take to the government spin on everything.

And don't say 'labour workers again' as if it's getting boring. The situation is better than other places but the horrific cases are endemic to the region and the first thing that will stop people from doing anything about the issue is treating it as if it's an unfounded issue when it is clearly not.

Again, this is not to rag on them for no reason, I do think they are doing much better than a lot of their neighbours, but it's better not to pretend everything is ideal either.

And I have to stand by with what I said about no good research or technologies - the Gulf is particularly good at buying technologies for sure, but doesn't really stand out in terms of innovation. And as for the wealth - bro, the way Dubai is in love with and courts capitalists and the super wealthy means the country was at a financial standstill for the recession. People were parking their cars at the airport and flying out of there, defaulting on their loans, mortgages and everything. Alhamdulilah you were so protected from it you didn't notice but a lot of jobs and lives were ruined because of the way Dubai handles its financial dealings.

foreign workers who earn more here than they do back home and have a job that can support their family. Nobody kidnapped them here. They can leave whenever they want or complain to authorities. Unless you want the whole country to be full of rich people. Then good luck getting anything that requires tough labor getting done.

As I said, they are trying to build the base here where their own citizens can get innovative. Its still a work in progress but it will eventually pay out.

and about the dubai situation, its people who were living way above their heads that got in trouble.

and that problem would be?

Anything

You can't bribe your way out of stuff, it's just not right, or pay people to keep their mouths shut, it just sounds corrupt to me

I'm not talking about the UAE or anything here fiver so don't get defensive :P

I'm talking generally