Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PlainCrazy

sawt safir bolboli please help!

K...

I think this thread is destined to die before its even begun but oh well, I'll take a chance!

Recently someone got me into this Arabic poem by a poet called asmaee, its called Sawt Safeer Bulbuli - and I would like to know more about it really, if anyone is interested at all (I know this is completely obscure and random but theres a glut of videos on YouTube about this poem and I can't find a single translation!

Now I'm not proficient in Arabic at all but I really got into the story:

Once upon a time (this is the gist of what I sort of understood from an Arabic story told on YouTube) the Caliph Abu Jafar al Mansur put some kind of restriction on the poets - and said they would only get paid if they came up with something majorly original. If a poet told him a poem he already knew then he would be stripped of his title... Anyway, the crafty caliph could memorize everything he heard (and this is what really confused me) apparently he had a memory like a computer and also owned a slave n slave girl who were the same

If you haven't already switched off by now, he issued a challenge to the poets that if he was given a poem he could not learn immediately then he would pay the poet the weight in gold what he wrote the poem on (excuse the terrible grammar)

So I'm really missing something here but anyway no poet manages to rise to the challenge except Asmaee, who disguises himself and sings the Sawt Safeer Bulbuli to him - which he fails to memorise... And then Asmaee ends up emptying the baytul maal because he gives him the poem carved on huge marble slabs carried by camels.

Apparently he gave it back once he took the unfair challenge off the poets ....

Anyway, the poem itself is kinda catchy and I really want to know everything anyone might know about it! It seems to be a big story in the Arab world - any clues? Rambling completely permitted.

K I think this might be the link...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=LCkK2Uc5y2Q&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLCkK2Uc5y2Q%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player&gl=GB

My cousin used to tell us this story a lot. So the following is just what I remember from him..

he issued a challenge to the poets that if he was given a poem he could not learn immediately then he would pay the poet the weight in gold what he wrote the poem on

No.. the challenge was for the poets to get Al Khalifa a poem that he has never heard of before.

..So if poets could find a poem that Al Khalifa had never heard of before, Al Khalifa would give them gold that equaled the weight of their poem. Because Al Khalifa memorized things the very first time he heard them, had a Jari (maid) that memorized anything he heard twice, and had a Jariah (maid) that memorized anything she heard thrice, no one could win this challenge. Whenever a poet would recite a poem, Al Khalifa would claim that he had heard of it before and would narrate it to him. He would say that even his Jari had heard of it before as well, and the Jari would narrate it (because he had memorized it while listening to the poet and Al Khalifa), and the same for the Jariah. He repeated this for countless poets. When Al Asma'e heard of Al Khalifa's challenge, he realized that Al Khalifa was up to something. So he wrote a poem (sawto safeer al bulbuli= "The Song of the Bulbul" (bird)) which had weird vocab and meanings that neither Al Khalifa, the Jari, nor the Jariah could memorize. So Al Khalifa asked him to bring the surface on which he wrote his poem, so Al Asma'e brought a huge marble slab that he inherited from his father. Only a group of strong men could carry it. When they measured its weight, Al Asma'e took all the gold that Al Khalifa owned. But when Al Khalifa found out that it was Al Asma'e (he was disguised), he asked him to return the money. Al Asma'e agreed on one condition, and that is, every poet would get a reward for his effort.

The End :D

That's the poem..

Ohh.... Coool! That makes loads more sense! So what does it actually mean? The actual poem? If you could be so kind as to oblige me dear simmi!

I have never looked up its interpretation before.. my only source was my cousin. I get its general idea of it and I see how the poet is shifting topics throughout the poem, but I need to look up a few bits of it. I'll edit this post and try to briefly write the meaning of the poem as soon as I get the chance to do so insha Allah =)

-----

I wrote the interpretation (based on what I understood) last week but I'm not pleased with my writing :( I'll message you my master piece :P

It will help you get a general idea about the poem insha Allah..