Maniac Muslim Forums
Haku

Fiqh of Facebook

Facebook is seen as quite controversial today by some Muslims who see it as a platform for fitnah and as a result warn others not to use Facebook. There is some misconception surrounding this because Facebook is a communication tool which can be used in a good way or a bad way. This lecture (dars) inshā'Allāh will help address some of these misconceptions, present some of the good and bad aspects of Facebook and also present some guidance with regards to how Facebook can be used to add value to a person's time online or at least avoid the dangers of online communication.

read rest http://muslimmatters.org/2012/11/09/fiqh-of-facebook-the-manners-etiquettes-of-social-media-interaction/

One particular feature, 'poking' the use of which is only to alert someone else that they have been 'poked' could be interpreted as if someone is being physically 'nudged' or 'eyed-up' – this frequently takes place between members of the opposite sex.

lol.

^ lol oh yeah? that'll help. Explain the difference between walking on the pavement vs. walking in the cycling lane?

^ lol oh yeah? that'll help. Explain the difference between walking on the pavement vs. walking in the cycling lane?

Crossing the road when you see the opposite gender walking towards you?

Why so much negativity? There are lot of muslims on FB doing stupid and wrong things. It could be a good reminder to them.

I think it is a valid topic to have a reminder about. It is certainly easier to be inappropriate online than face to face.

I didn't actually read the post, but I think discussing its fiqh is a bit deep for the assumed audience (and perhaps unnecessary on the whole, since I would assume it would just be the same as the fiqh of real world interactions and having a good character - not that I actually know what that is).

Most of the time people know when they are doing something wrong. A reminder would probably be more pertinent. It easier to let anger or passion overcome you online, than in face to face interactions, as you don't really see a risk of any meaningful repercussion.

It all comes down to your intentions. If youre there for impure reasons and you know it, then articles like this probably wont be helpful since you already know what youre doing is wrong. Reminders are always good, but you dont want to nag someone out of something because that never works.

Why so much negativity? There are lot of muslims on FB doing stupid and wrong things. It could be a good reminder to them.

Because clearly all of these lessons are not working if it remains necessary for scholars to address the rules of every little cultural innovation. The values, the rules, and the limits are there, but obviously people are not actually absorbing them, or else they wouldn't need to be told guidelines like robots.

It's kind of like learning a language. At first, you have to be told the context in which you can use each word, and the rules by which you use those words. If you actually speak the language though, a word in a particular context just sounds right or it just doesn't, and the rules just come naturally. Eventually, a learner gets to that stage too. If, however, every rule constantly needs to be reaffirmed with each new word, and a student cannot apply the basic rules that apply to all other similar words, then the students clearly are not taking in what their learning. They're just repeating.

So maybe we should just re-think how Islam is spoken about and taught in general. Teaching folks to dot their i's and cross their t's, however, is not going to accomplish that. It's just creating robots who don't understand the rules, cannot absorb the rules, but can just spit them out and abide by them, when that very particular issue has already been addressed by someone else.

...just sayin.

No doubt it's important to address the issue of online communication, but these articles do so in a very silly way and without actually addressing the main problem. With all of the bullying that's been taking place, especially over online relationships, it's so important to discuss safety, who you should trust, proper interaction, etc. People are not poking others on FB for fun (is that even a thing? because all these articles keep talking about the fitnah of poking when I don't actually think it happens all that often), they are doing it because they are lonely and it is easy to find people online, trust them, and have some sort of relationship. I am especially concerned for those that are younger, because they often are the most vulnerable, and it is very easy to be fooled by an older predator who you think is trustworthy but is just trying to take advantage of you.

Why not address the roots of this? Why do so many teenagers feel lonely? Why are fathers so often absent/aloof that young girls feel compelled to seek out validation from other men? That's the real discussion to be having.

Because clearly all of these lessons are not working if it remains necessary for scholars to address the rules of every little cultural innovation. The values, the rules, and the limits are there, but obviously people are not actually absorbing them, or else they wouldn't need to be told guidelines like robots.

then what do you think about prophetic advise on little things, such as, knock upto 3 times on the door, if no answer turn back. Advise on cleaning after toilet, etc etc etc. Scholars are just extrapolating those prophetic advise to FB.

then what do you think about prophetic advise on little things, such as, knock upto 3 times on the door, if no answer turn back. Advise on cleaning after toilet, etc etc etc. Scholars are just extrapolating those prophetic advise to FB.

It'd be like if I asked if the three knocks applies to a door made of different material.

There is plenty of fiqh out there about gender interaction. I don't think a scholar needs to tell us whether "poking" is haram, when most of the audience is probably more familiar with "poking" and facebook in general than the scholar himself.