Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chill_Out

'frankenfish' moves closer to FDA approval for human consumption

This 2010 handout photo provided by AquaBounty Technologies shows two same-age salmon, a genetically modified salmon, rear, and a non-genetically modified salmon, foreground. Genetically engineered salmon created in Canada are getting closer to becoming the first transgenic animal to make it onto a menu, after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found the fish will have no significant environmental impact.THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, AquaBounty Technologies - Barrett & MacKay Photography

http://www.windsorstar.com/technology/Canadian+Frankenfish+moves+closer+approval+human+consumption/7776733/story.html

It seems semi gross, taking genes from animal sources (instead of plants, as other gmo products are), but at least its other fish eh?

Also, are eels halal, eel genes to be precise?

I've always wonderd if genetic modification is principally haram. Since its going beyond just manipulating cross breeding and going straight into transferring genes.

This 2010 handout photo provided by AquaBounty Technologies shows two same-age salmon, a genetically modified salmon, rear, and a non-genetically modified salmon, foreground. Genetically engineered salmon created in Canada are getting closer to becoming the first transgenic animal to make it onto a menu, after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found the fish will have no significant environmental impact.THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, AquaBounty Technologies - Barrett & MacKay Photography

http://www.windsorst...6733/story.html

It seems semi gross, taking genes from animal sources (instead of plants, as other gmo products are), but at least its other fish eh?

Also, are eels halal, eel genes to be precise?

I've always wonderd if genetic modification is principally haram. Since its going beyond just manipulating cross breeding and going straight into transferring genes.

i don't know about the gene thing, but eel is halal. it is a fish just like any other. only difference is it looks like a snake. but it's still a fish.

I agree with this part:

"Genetic modification is really sort of untested, and over and over again it seems to be unnecessary in order to either meet food needs or solve environmental problems," said Jay Ritchlin, western region director for the David Suzuki Foundation.

"I think that the risks involved in genetic modification for food — especially when you're using cross-species modification — are enough that it's not worth doing when they don't actually solve the problems we need to solve."

"I think that the risks involved in genetic modification for food — especially when you're using cross-species modification — are enough that it's not worth doing when they don't actually solve the problems we need to solve."

It won't help meet food needs. It won't help solve the problem of food shortages. What will help is for our greedy asses to stop consuming so much, and for there to be equitable food distribution. there is more than enough for everyone.

that's probably not the goal of the scientists who created this fish though.

It hopefully wont be allowed to get into the wild! Imagine the pacific wild salmon population mixed in with these fish.

I'm hopinf they will exclusively be farmed, and labelled as such.

Edit: i dunno, where I live, wild salmon populations have suffered a lot and this just could be an added threat. Its not because of fishing, because that has been curtailed, but spawning habitat destruction

Oxy, i asked a couple of people (hanafi) and they said eels were haram. But maybe they just said that because they think everything is haram.

It hopefully wont be allowed to get into the wild! Imagine the pacific wild salmon population mixed in with these fish.

Edit: i dunno, where I live, wild salmon populations have suffered a lot and this just could be an added threat. Its not because of fishing, because that has been curtailed, but spawning habitat destruction

Oxy, i asked a couple of people (hanafi) and they said eels were haram. But maybe they just said that because they think everything is haram.

:mellow: but they are literally just a type of fish. they're not even crustaceans or mollusks or anything.

if eels are predators then they will be classed as haram for hanafis

aren't eels considered fish in hanafi madhab?

probably. Im not sure though, i dont think they are predators anyway...

if they are fish, predatorialness doesn't matter. All fish are halal.

if they are fish, predatorialness doesn't matter. All fish are halal.

Predatory/carnivorous fish are haram for hanafi.

Yes you're right. They just don't "like" it so they just say its haram.

(But on a personal level i wouldnt eat them anyway due to high mercury levels)