Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sal_the_man

To The Bikers...

So...I've just been researching bikes in case I were to ever get one. I have a friend who has told me all the pros and cons; how close you are to death, how its more fun than driving a car...dont want to type it all out.

I made a list of bikes over the weekend that I'm interested in. Will go research in detail later but here it is:

Ducati Monster 696 - expensive but so beautiful

Honda CBR500

Kawasaki Ninja 650

Yamaha YFZ - R6

Yamaha FZ6R

Yamaha R1 - Found out it's a 1000cc, lol yeah...

Suzuki SFV 650

Suzuki GSXR 600

Made a biker friend last night, he told me my first bike should be a beater and that after awhile, when I've "mastered" riding, I'll want to get a pretty bike and get rid of the beater.

Also said I should get the bike w/o rents permission. This is what happened to 2 of my biker friends, their parents were staunchly against them getting motorcycles. When they showed up with it, their parents just flipped shiz for a day or two. Then they were cool with it. One's father later got his first bike himself 3 months later XD

Any general input?

Go for it (as long as you are legally permitted to where you live), also, how's the weather where you live?

Personally, I'd only use a motorbike as my daily means of transportation if I were in a hot/dry country, it rains nearly every day here, just doesn't work plus being able to ride any type of motorbike you want here is a lengthy and costly process; ain't nobody got time fo' dat

Go for it (as long as you are legally permitted to where you live), also, how's the weather where you live?

Personally, I'd only use a motorbike as my daily means of transportation if I were in a hot/dry country, it rains nearly every day here, just doesn't work plus being able to ride any type of motorbike you want here is a lengthy and costly process; ain't nobody got time fo' dat

I'm in DC, can't ride it in the winter since there is usually snow and it's frigid. Other than that, I'd have 3 seasons to ride a motorcycle. I don't think it's too bad in the rain, just have to be more cautious obviously

So...I've just been researching bikes in case I were to ever get one. I have a friend who has told me all the pros and cons; how close you are to death, how its more fun than driving a car...dont want to type it all out.

I made a list of bikes over the weekend that I'm interested in. Will go research in detail later but here it is:

Ducati Monster 696 - expensive but so beautiful

Honda CBR500

Kawasaki Ninja 650

Yamaha YFZ - R6

Yamaha FZ6R

Yamaha R1 - Found out it's a 1000cc, lol yeah...

Suzuki SFV 650

Suzuki GSXR 600

Made a biker friend last night, he told me my first bike should be a beater and that after awhile, when I've "mastered" riding, I'll want to get a pretty bike and get rid of the beater.

Also said I should get the bike w/o rents permission. This is what happened to 2 of my biker friends, their parents were staunchly against them getting motorcycles. When they showed up with it, their parents just flipped shiz for a day or two. Then they were cool with it. One's father later got his first bike himself 3 months later XD

Any general input?

If you've never ridden a bike before I would go for a 250 before moving onto any of these bikes.

Also, those bikes are very different. Its really going to come down to what you want it for. Out of all those the Ducati 696 is probably the most sensible. Its a really nice ride and its practical, and its really fun. Definitely wouldn't get the R6 or the R1 until your confident, because you will seriously injure yourself otherwise. But when you get confident, those bikes can be bags of fun. The FZ6R isn't a bad bike either, but it doesn't pack the same power the Ducati does.

If you've never ridden a bike before I would go for a 250 before moving onto any of these bikes.

Also, those bikes are very different. Its really going to come down to what you want it for. Out of all those the Ducati 696 is probably the most sensible. Its a really nice ride and its practical, and its really fun. Definitely wouldn't get the R6 or the R1 until your confident, because you will seriously injure yourself otherwise. But when you get confident, those bikes can be bags of fun. The FZ6R isn't a bad bike either, but it doesn't pack the same power the Ducati does.

250cc is ideal, but people I know that started out with it wanted to get rid of it as soon as they got the hang of riding a bike. Three or four friends have told me to start with a 500 since that will be more than enough for awhile. Funny, they also said NOT to get the Ducati because they're hella spensive to maintain and if I drop it I will cry. If everyone is telling me that I'll drop the bike, then I should get a "beater"

Edit: I would also buy a used bike

250cc is ideal, but people I know that started out with it wanted to get rid of it as soon as they got the hang of riding a bike. Three or four friends have told me to start with a 500 since that will be more than enough for awhile. Funny, they also said NOT to get the Ducati because they're hella spensive to maintain and if I drop it I will cry. If everyone is telling me that I'll drop the bike, then I should get a "beater"

Edit: I would also buy a used bike

Yeah thats true lol! One little scratch on the Ducati and you'll be crying for hours! Its expensive, but its an incredible bike. I would get that 696 over any of the other bikes in that list, even the R!. Yeah definitely get a 'beater' (never heard that phrase before :P). That's why I would recommend getting a 250cc, its true that you'll probably only have it a few months. But they're a lot easier to sell (over here at least anyway).

Mr. Baldy - What bike do you have?

Nothing at the moment. But I've ridden pretty much everything in your list except the Suzukis. I think for my next bike I want to get either a Harley Panhead (purely because I've never ridden one before and they sound fun) or a Triumph Thruxton SE, because it looks gorgeous! Also, that might be a good bike for you. Its about 800 CC from what I remember and a lot of fun.

Also, dude, whats up with the 130 in your sig???

My sister is a nurse and the stories she has of the state of the A&E patients in motorcycle collisions make your stomach turn. In her hospital, 70% of RTA fatalities are from motorbikes. They really are death traps and I was sooo grateful when my husband had his stolen. Now he's a father, he doesn't want to replace it of his own accord!

Just something to think about!

Yeah thats true lol! One little scratch on the Ducati and you'll be crying for hours! Its expensive, but its an incredible bike. I would get that 696 over any of the other bikes in that list, even the R!. Yeah definitely get a 'beater' (never heard that phrase before :P). That's why I would recommend getting a 250cc, its true that you'll probably only have it a few months. But they're a lot easier to sell (over here at least anyway).

I might as well get a 500cc bike though since there is no point in buying a bike I know I will sell shortly after the purchase. Ducati would be better in the long run

Nothing at the moment. But I've ridden pretty much everything in your list except the Suzukis. I think for my next bike I want to get either a Harley Panhead (purely because I've never ridden one before and they sound fun) or a Triumph Thruxton SE, because it looks gorgeous! Also, that might be a good bike for you. Its about 800 CC from what I remember and a lot of fun.

Also, dude, whats up with the 130 in your sig???

Oh word, sounds like you have a lot of experience. People have recommended me to take the Motorcycle Safety Class above all, because those who don't are highly susceptible of being in an accident. I like the retro look on the triumph! But I'd prefer to get a sportbike, not a supersports though. lol a squid riding an 800cc bike, that can't end well

Sir, it's the I-30...lolz Im on some car forums and its a sig of mine. Thought I might as well put it on here. Looks stock, but it's modded ;)

This should be called motorbikers or something.

Bikers yo

My sister is a nurse and the stories she has of the state of the A&E patients in motorcycle collisions make your stomach turn. In her hospital, 70% of RTA fatalities are from motorbikes. They really are death traps and I was sooo grateful when my husband had his stolen. Now he's a father, he doesn't want to replace it of his own accord!

Lol I like it how you said "death traps" when bike riders name "cagers" people who drive cars.

Yes there is a great chance of injury or death on a motorcycle but I'm a pretty responsible driver. Besides the experience is something you can never get driving in a car (apparently)

i don't know a motorcyclist who didn't got in to an accident.

Same, but oh well. Yolo.

You think its bad here, I learned to ride bikes in Pakistan...

I've had a few accidents but nothing serious so far alhumdulillah. To be completely honest I've had worse accidents/injuries in cars and just walking! Most of the time its not even the bikers fault, its people in cars who don't look for bikers!

I might as well get a 500cc bike though since there is no point in buying a bike I know I will sell shortly after the purchase. Ducati would be better in the long run

Oh word, sounds like you have a lot of experience. People have recommended me to take the Motorcycle Safety Class above all, because those who don't are highly susceptible of being in an accident. I like the retro look on the triumph! But I'd prefer to get a sportbike, not a supersports though. lol a squid riding an 800cc bike, that can't end well

Sir, it's the I-30...lolz Im on some car forums and its a sig of mine. Thought I might as well put it on here. Looks stock, but it's modded ;)

Fair dos. Yeah definitely get the safety training, especially if it rains/snows where you live. The Ducati is incredible to ride around town, if you got the money get one. But yeah, definitely buy a used one for your first! Yeah I love the look of that triumph, and its bags full of fun. I like the supersports bikes, but there just not that practical for around the town, and I've had more fun driving on the motorway on the Ducati tbh. Oh and it definitley won't end well! lol! I learned on a 75cc bike and almost blew it up :P Good times!

Bro I got experience driving/piloting pretty much any type of transport you can think of :P hahaha.

Nice! what mods have you got on it??? and which forums?