Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sal_the_man

To The Bikers...

Yeah, I have to admit I hate motorcyclists and regular cyclists with a passion when I'm driving. Not that I deliberately try to mow them down BUT they way they just weave their way through traffic and snake through lanes gets me so bad. Also the way they just *appear* when you are turning corners or are in a tight tunnel.

Seems like motorcyclists not only have to watch out for their own experience handling their machine, but also contend with the fact most car drivers really hate them too lol.

Being knocked off your bike will leave you mangled in a way that a car (no matter how constricting) will protect you from. My brother grazed a car while on his bike and it took SO much of the flesh of his leg off- I nearly vomited when he showed me.

Aye.

TBH I've cracked my head and chin open sitting on sofas (two separate occasions, and don't ask me how). My thought is, when its written, its written.

Sorry to hear about your brother though.

LOL, while stationary? Haha!

Of course it's written, but we are to tie our camel aswell, there is a simple hadith which says "the Muslim is intelligent" I.e.: able to weigh the pros and cons of potential harm and benefit. Or as my dad charmingly says when I tell him everything is written, "then go throw yourself on the North Circular and come out alive then!"

i don't like how some bikers like to break speed limits. As they harder to see and more vulnerable it's not exactly a good idea.

You think its bad here, I learned to ride bikes in Pakistan...

I've had a few accidents but nothing serious so far alhumdulillah. To be completely honest I've had worse accidents/injuries in cars and just walking! Most of the time its not even the bikers fault, its people in cars who don't look for bikers!

I learned on a 75cc bike and almost blew it up :P Good times!

Bro I got experience driving/piloting pretty much any type of transport you can think of :P hahaha.

Nice! what mods have you got on it??? and which forums?

Lol 75cc, that's nothing. Thinking of that power makes me sad.

Let's see:

Headers, Y-Pipe, Cold Air Intake, Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Tokico HP Blue Struts, Wheel Spacers. I'm all performance. You still into cars? I had a friend who once had a 350Z but once he got his hands on a GSXR1000 he lost interest in his Z.

Edit: And yeah, if you can drive in Pakistan you can drive anywhere. After spending some time there, I realize how dumb drivers are in America. And Mr. Baldy - maxima.org and a school car club forum

i don't like how some bikers like to break speed limits. As they harder to see and more vulnerable it's not exactly a good idea.

Really? Wow dude I had no idea, mashallah I am learning so much!

You definitely should take the motorbike safety class. It will really help you. My brother started riding a few years ago and he was in an accident and the stuphph from that course really saved his ass.

And yeah, buy a second hand bike to start off with cos its easier to fix and to learn on. Also if you decide you don't want to keep riding then you haven't spent a small fortune on something you don't want. Practise a bit on your friend's bike to get the feel of it and see if you actually want one. My brother used to ride with his friend for a while before he decided to get his own. It's a great saving on petrol and wear and tear and you get everywhere faster.

I've ridden with my brother and I really love the feel of it. Something that really gets your adrenaline going on those machines. If I had/get the chance I would probably get one myself :P

Car drivers need to realise that they need to be more aware of their surroundings. Cyclists and bikers are hard to see but that doesn't make it an excuse to not see them. If you try a little bit harder then you will see them. I started driving after my brother got his bike but knowing someone with a bike made me more aware of riders on the road. When I turn or change lanes I stretch out to get to my blind spots better because I know I need to keep an eye out for a 2 wheeler. Usually you can hear a bike when its around you so its a signal to be aware of them. In some areas the lane 'belongs' to the rider and he is allowed to ride the lane line in traffic so it is perfectly fine for him to ride between the lanes to get out of traffic. A lot of drivers don't like this and can seriously injure a rider purely out of spite because they are stuck driving in a regular lane while he can pass straight through.

Basically drivers need to educate themselves about what is allowed for riders and remember it rather than get angry that they can't do that stuphph. In most accident cases its the drivers fault and not the rider. But that isn't to say that some riders don't do stupid things as well.

Also, get yourself kitted out properly with the correct protective gear. Its a schlep to have to wear the thick jacket and pants and the big boots but those things will help you when you're on the road.

Yeah, I have to admit I hate motorcyclists and regular cyclists with a passion when I'm driving. Not that I deliberately try to mow them down BUT they way they just weave their way through traffic and snake through lanes gets me so bad. Also the way they just *appear* when you are turning corners or are in a tight tunnel.

Seems like motorcyclists not only have to watch out for their own experience handling their machine, but also contend with the fact most car drivers really hate them too lol.

I don't like them weaving their way through traffic either, it's like cutting in line in a big queue.

Cyclists are by far the worst though, just hate them slowing me down

Really? Wow dude I had no idea, mashallah I am learning so much!

if you're learning to bike you'll probably make a habit.

don't be a douche.

Talked to the motorcycle club members at my school, the president's insurance for the year is $160! They also strongly recommended the MSF course since you practically get the license through them.

They also recommend the Ninja 500 or the SFV50. I like the design of the suzuki, but seems that wind resistance would be a pain to deal with

I wanna ride bikes too. How much is a motorbike anyway? Id rather drive that than pay £3k for insurance. Plus it uses less petrol.

I wanna ride bikes too. How much is a motorbike anyway? Id rather drive that than pay £3k for insurance. Plus it uses less petrol.

I'm not sure in pounds, but roughly 3-4K in the US for a nice 500 or 600cc bike. So convert that to pounds...1.5 to 2.5k pounds?

The slow mo gave me goosebumps. I've know about the Isle of Man, and these guys are effing insane, 180-200mph through turns!