Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FrankieFourArms

Planck Satellite

I don't get it. :S Can someone translate this into "Stupid girl who hates Physics" language? Why's the light only 380,000 yrs old if the Big Bang happened wayyy before that and this is Big Bang radiation? And how do you 'stretch' light?

I don't get it. :S Can someone translate this into "Stupid girl who hates Physics" language? Why's the light only 380,000 yrs old if the Big Bang happened wayyy before that and this is Big Bang radiation? And how do you 'stretch' light?

When the big bang happened there wasn't really much to see it was too hot for anything to happen. Electrons and Protons couldn't pair up until things became a bit cooler and when it did the electrons and protons combined/paired together. Light (photons) finally could travel freely since they were no longer being stopped by frequent scattering of free electrons. The cosmic microwave background radiation is the remnant/remains of the hot conditions created just after the big bang. Apparently the expansion of the universe is causing the wavelength of the light to be stretched

I THOUGHT HOT CONDITIONS WERE NECESSARY FOR THESE REACTIONS

SORRY FOR CAPS BUT I REALIZED MID MESSAGE AND I DONT WANT TO REWRITE

I THOUGHT HOT CONDITIONS WERE NECESSARY FOR THESE REACTIONS

SORRY FOR CAPS BUT I REALIZED MID MESSAGE AND I DONT WANT TO REWRITE

What reaction are you talking about?

@ lillypad about the light stretching

I think its the doppler effect. Basically if someone talks to you and you run away their sound waves try to reach you by stretching further. If you run towards them their sound waves kinda get squashed and compressed. I am not really sure why. Maybe frank can explain.

The universe is expanding so the earth and all that are moving away from the center of the universe. So light from that point (center of the universe) is stretching to reach us.

This is light is the CMB and the static on our TVVVVVVV, i think

EDIT: I noticed that when people explain stuff it goes over everyone elses head. It happened to me on my open day. Maybe it went over yours, dunno

What reaction are you talking about?

protons and neutrons bonding

EDIT: Oops you said electrons. Ok I see.

But why do you need to cool down for protons and electrons to pair up.

@Frankiephoney:

Thanks!! :)

When the big bang happened there wasn't really much to see it was too hot for anything to happen. Electrons and Protons couldn't pair up until things became a bit cooler and when it did the electrons and protons combined/paired together. Light (photons) finally could travel freely since they were no longer being stopped by frequent scattering of free electrons. The cosmic microwave background radiation is the remnant/remains of the hot conditions created just after the big bang. Apparently the expansion of the universe is causing the wavelength of the light to be stretched

Wow, I didn't know it could be "too hot" for stuff to happen. Is it cuz when it's really hot, everything is an amorphous blob? Or wait, that wouldn't make sense, even blobs are made up of atoms...

I see... cool XD

@ lillypad about the light stretching

I think its the doppler effect. Basically if someone talks to you and you run away their sound waves try to reach you by stretching further. If you run towards them their sound waves kinda get squashed and compressed. I am not really sure why. Maybe frank can explain.

The universe is expanding so the earth and all that are moving away from the center of the universe. So light from that point (center of the universe) is stretching to reach us.

This is light is the CMB and the static on our TVVVVVVV, i think

EDIT: I noticed that when people explain stuff it goes over everyone elses head. It happened to me on my open day. Maybe it went over yours, dunno

Thanks!!!

I know the Doppler Effect!!!! :D

I think the light and stuff doesn't MEAN to stretch, it just happens.. I think. I repress memories of Physics class :no:

Also @ the edit, LOL no thanks!! :D

Oh yea the last part I dont really understand but...

I mean from what I read its like the Cosmic BG Radiation had small temperature changes (across it?) and Planck detected these fluctuations (changes)

And from that it could map out what the universe looked like. I don't get it myself.

protons and neutrons bonding

EDIT: Oops you said electrons. Ok I see.

But why do you need to cool down for protons and electrons to pair up.

For transparent neutral gas to form. The light couldn't really travel freely

Not why you need to cool it down for the light to be free. I understand that (to a poor extent lol.)

Why can't protons and electrons pair up under very hot conditions.

@Frankiephoney:

Thanks!! :)

Wow, I didn't know it could be "too hot" for stuff to happen. Is it cuz when it's really hot, everything is an amorphous blob? Or wait, that wouldn't make sense, even blobs are made up of atoms...

I see... cool XD

Stuff did happen but in the case of photons it was too hot for them to be set free

ok so this is what i think

everything was moving around so fast and quickly the photons were kind of trapped and didnt have time to get out before another super fast electron blocked its path.

Not why you need to cool it down for the light to be free. I understand that (to a poor extent lol.)

Why can't protons and electrons pair up under very hot conditions.

I was referring to neutral atoms not forming in those hot conditions but I understand the question you are asking. You must be thinking that since hot conditions have a lot of energy it'll be easier for the particles to collide. Yes that's true but there was a time where the forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism and the strong and weak forces) had to assume their present properties too this is where my limit and understanding goes