Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mo-

The Investments Thread

1 minute ago, superman said:

If, on average a £10 kettle is bought every 5 years wouldn't it be more lucrative to put those same resources into producing sweets instead.

How much does it cost to make a kettle?
What is the overhead?

Can the machinery used to make kettles also be used to make other utilities or can you rent the machinery?

How competitive is the kettle market?
Do you only make kettles or do you make multiple household utility devices like irons, washing machines, tumble dryers, vacuum cleaners, cookers, microwaves etc.? Would the same machinery be used to assemble these things? 

Could you outsource your manufacturing needs after finalizing your design? etc.

How much do you know about sweet making vs kettle making, the supply chains and how good is your product?
What are the regulations you have to adhere to? 
Are you able to effectively market your product to your target audience?

How much are you investing and how long do you expect the venture to last?

Forming a business plan is easy. Doing a feasibility assessment is the hard part of planning and most investors hire consultants to see if a product is worth launching in a market.

If I could use an analogy it would be:

Why bother learning to become a teacher when you can learn to become an engineer? The answer to this is obviously people have different skills, interests and expertise. Most businesses aren't self financed, usually they receive loans or investment from banks or funds. So why would an investor pick a certain thing to invest in that could be perceived as less profitable? Diversification, different levels of tolerance to risk and different conclusions.

I've gotten a 14% return on investments in the past year.  Good year so far.

21 minutes ago, Ishavemychesthair2 said:

Very good. You're beating the market by 2.5% on the dollar which is a considerable margin.

19 minutes ago, Mo- said:

Very good. You're beating the market by 2.5% on the dollar which is a considerable margin.

dumped all my money into two funds and so far so good.  i'm riding this wave until i have to put it back into government bonds.

Lmao the hardest thing with investing is finding the money to invest.

Hey mo - I dunno if I asked this but - I was told I should pay off my debts before investing. However my only debt is student loan and with the way that it's set up it's actually bad if I pay it off. So do you think it makes sense for me to invest anyway?

1 hour ago, Ishavemychesthair2 said:

it would be super impressive to maintain that average over a couple of decades

1 minute ago, superman said:

it would be super impressive to maintain that average over a couple of decades

I'm at 12% for the past 5 years.

21 hours ago, superman said:

Hey mo - I dunno if I asked this but - I was told I should pay off my debts before investing. However my only debt is student loan and with the way that it's set up it's actually bad if I pay it off. So do you think it makes sense for me to invest anyway?

depends on your situation. If you expect to be earning a lot then pay off the debt, if not then invest. 

1) Save some cash for an emergency - I would recommend a month's salary at least.

2) Pay off as much debt as you can.

3) Save to where you can survive 3-6 months if you get laid off work.

4) Invest anything you can for the long haul.

It's all balance - don't kill yourself scrapping to save but keep in mind it's best to start saving as early as possible.  I have my investments deducted from my paycheck directly so I can't even be tempted to spending the money so I base my spending on whatever's left from my pay check.  That way I don't feel nearly as guilty as when I spend on motorcycle fun stuff. 

15 minutes ago, Ishavemychesthair2 said:

1) Save some cash for an emergency - I would recommend a month's salary at least.

2) Pay off as much debt as you can.

3) Save to where you can survive 3-6 months if you get laid off work.

4) Invest anything you can for the long haul.

It's all balance - don't kill yourself scrapping to save but keep in mind it's best to start saving as early as possible.  I have my investments deducted from my paycheck directly so I can't even be tempted to spending the money so I base my spending on whatever's left from my pay check.  That way I don't feel nearly as guilty as when I spend on motorcycle fun stuff. 

is that what you guys call a 401k?

1 hour ago, superman said:

is that what you guys call a 401k?

Yes; or Roth IRA, retirement account, etc.  

On 8/10/2017 at 10:15 PM, superman said:

Likeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Lol

If I go in a business venture 48% to 52% with some other guy what's to stop him from diluting my shares to 10% while he retains 90% of the company.

7 hours ago, superman said:

If I go in a business venture 48% to 52% with some other guy what's to stop him from diluting my shares to 10% while he retains 90% of the company.

It would by definition dilute the other shareholders shares too. The only way to dilute share ownership is to issue new shares to new investors. You wouldn’t see any loss in value as the new cash from investment would either be held as an asset or pay off other liabilities, leaving your net equity position the same. The only change that would occur is both you and the other fellow would have less significant stakes in the company.