Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mo-

The Investments Thread

Ok so I invested roughly 70k and my portfolio is worth 100k. Good right?

Excellent! We were given 10,000$ in my class and I made a loss over the course of a month :lol:

Apple and Google were expensive but always did well, I noticed. :hmm:

google and apple are like 10 times more expensive than anything else

bas kismat ki baat hai

Not really... I just made bad choices. I only invested in companies I had heard of (apple, google, wal mart, etc), and by the time I realised that I ought to be investing in stable industries, e.g. the copper industry, I only had a week or so of my project left XD

It's awfully fun. If I didn't have exams coming up I'd sign back up on Investopedia. :D

edit: Yaya said: "It is just a matter of luck"

google and apple are like 10 times more expensive than anything else

Some of the risque guys in my class just bought apple stocks. Their entire portfolio was Apple. It was like, "Wow, okay.." but they ended up doing really well cuz they made a big profit on the fewer # of stocks they had. At the same time, I think the point was to diversify and decrease risk that way, which they ignored.

yea it worked short term but greed can lead to downfall. if those stocks crashed or declined from their original value they would be screwed

Can you put the headings? I don't know what all these numbers are referring to...

Also you have common/household industries. Try looking into stocks within like the lumber industry or something random like that. Some companies really dominate in those sorts of areas b/c they've been established for so long in a technology-heavy area. Kinda like Coca Cola, except making a bottle of Coke isn't that hard (their domination is a lot about branding)

lily can u explain the account number n stuff

how much money have i made. i think its 35k profit?

lily can u explain the account number n stuff

how much money have i made. i think its 35k profit?

Since you haven't sold anything yet, technically you haven't made any money. i.e. if all your stocks came crashing down in the next 5 min, you would be ruined. But you've made the sum of all the numbers in the last column (total gain/loss) today. I dunno if this is your first day but I'm pretty sure Investopedia updates it to show your total gain/loss for however many days you've been playing. edit: wait no I'm confusing myself :S :S I don't remember anymore ahhh! oh ya sorry that column means how much you've made today... Man don't ask me, I don't know what I'm talking about :/ Mo can tell you.

What do you mean the account # and stuff?

Also check out options, they're pretty cool.