Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mo-

The Investments Thread

Ah so primarily options then. That book will only be useful for your intro to finance. I do not know much about computational finance in particular as when I analyse investments I take a more qualitative than quantitative approach. I advise you read the initial publication of Scholes theory and then back read into binomial trees. Derivatives will mostly be memorisation of what has more weights in financial products. You can create derivative on the dot if you really want to haha.

yep, mainly options.. k will read into it :) - yeah, the derivatives part is kind of the easiest part of the course..

yep, mainly options.. k will read into it :) - yeah, the derivatives part is kind of the easiest part of the course..

It would be great if after you finished the course you shared what you learn here on the forums :)

It would be great if after you finished the course you shared what you learn here on the forums :)

lol inshallah.. even though i have an interest in finances / investments and economics in general, i was never any good at understanding how it all worked.. what helped me understand how the economy worked today ( and what subsequently lead up to the crash ) was that documentary with matt damon.. inside job.. other than that, i have very limited knowledge :(

lol inshallah.. even though i have an interest in finances / investments and economics in general, i was never any good at understanding how it all worked.. what helped me understand how the economy worked today ( and what subsequently lead up to the crash ) was that documentary with matt damon.. inside job.. other than that, i have very limited knowledge :(

I have read that the documentary is quite misleading. Read Gregory Mankiws Principles of Economics and you will understand how economics works, and then read/watch Milton Friedman to understand the solution to fixing the economy, and add Islamic principles to make this economic theory practical :) . Finance is really just really a way to use money to make more money and is in essence the trade of using money properly.

How well does the simulation applies to real world? Has someone tried real-world stock market based on what they learned from the simulation.

How well does the simulation applies to real world? Has someone tried real-world stock market based on what they learned from the simulation.

The simulator reflects the real stock market. It uses the same prices, the same volumes traded, the same stocks, trading times and even provides simulation of brokerage fees and marginal accounts.

Account Value (USD): $102,260.30

Feel free to call me 'The Wallstreet Kid'

Mashallah spud, 2.26% return that fast is pretty great, what is your annual?

Annual Return: 222.87 %

Wow thats pretty good.

That is amazing mashallah. Check which stocks contribute the most to your portfolio and look at their history to make sure this isn't just a spike, and even if it is a spike learn how you did so, so that you can maintain it.

yea i was losing money, my lowest was 98,000, now its spiked. it probably wont stay up much longer

yea i was losing money, my lowest was 98,000, now its spiked. it probably wont stay up much longer

Could you screenshot your portfolio?

Ah your return fell back down, but at least it is pretty high. Ebay and Fannie Mae seem to be doing well for you :)