Maniac Muslim Forums

Based on Fitzergald's great American classic, the Great Gatsby, Baz Luhrmann's (The director of Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet) rendition of the film is set for release this May after its premiere at Cannes in both 3D and regular screening.

It's set to star DiCaprio as the title character, Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan, Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway and Joel Edgerton as Tom Buchanan. The soundtrack was overseen by Jay-Z and has taken two years to prepare, with original music and covers from a broad range of musicians and genres.

I'm really excited for this movie, because it is linking the old and the new in a time of excess reflecting that of 1920s America, both artistically and thematically. It fuses a lot of contemporary stuff with things from the Jazz age, and the filmmakers even went to include Fitzergalds favourite tailors the Brook Brothers. They are also following Fitzergalds theme of relating things to his audience at the time, which is something I feel many filmmakers neglect today when they retell stories.

Then you have the pure awesome effects that are included in the film, which just add another layer to the excess and the whole idea of dreams and hope. From the trailer I can tell DiCaprio's depiction of Gatsby pays homage to the acting of Robert Redford in the 1974 rendition (which had its screenplay written by Francis Ford Copolla, how epic!), but yeah his acting looks like its going to be great for the role. I think they made Daisy a more likeable character in this rendition, and the trailers were certainly made to appeal to audiences who have not read the book by putting some intrigue around Gatsby's character, which is no doubt going to introduce this story to a new audience which I think is pretty wonderful.

Anyhow here is the trailer, which features snippets of two original songs by Lana del Rey and Florence Welsh, plus a cover of Amy Winehouse by Andre 3000 and Beyonce.

And the other two trailers do not feature songs off the soundtrack, but are still pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXAB2A8iHLE

Once the movies out I will post a review on it, as you can tell i'm very excited and I hope this film delivers!

Ah, so this is where the Amy Winehouse cover is from. I heard on the radio but didn't catch the movie name. Why couldn't they just leave it alone. Beyonce and Andre3000 doing Winehouse :no: Sorry, she had a beautiful voice and I don't Beyonce is worth jack if you ask me.

I am really looking forward to this movie. I love Baz Lurhmann movies and he very usually gets it right. They've got a great cast and I am sure that he would have done it justice considering a lot of people loved the first movie. I remember seeing that movie when I was in Standard 6. Absolutely loved it! I will hate Daisy no matter what -_- Stupid stupid girl <_<

It's such a shame this wont release here till months after the US release :(

I don't know how long I will have to wait in the UAE, I mean what if it doesn't come out at all here :cry:

Ah, so this is where the Amy Winehouse cover is from. I heard on the radio but didn't catch the movie name. Why couldn't they just leave it alone. Beyonce and Andre3000 doing Winehouse :no: Sorry, she had a beautiful voice and I don't Beyonce is worth jack if you ask me.

I am really looking forward to this movie. I love Baz Lurhmann movies and he very usually gets it right. They've got a great cast and I am sure that he would have done it justice considering a lot of people loved the first movie. I remember seeing that movie when I was in Standard 6. Absolutely loved it! I will hate Daisy no matter what -_- Stupid stupid girl <_<

You probably heard one of those radio trailers cos the song isn't out yet lol.

Hey hey, Beyonce has a pretty good voice too ya know.

Yeah, he picked the actors and actresses based on their suitability to the role in our time. He didn't pick DiCaprio cos he is a big name, he picked DiCaprio cos DiCaprio is the best to play Gatsby, etc. :D

I have a feeling Ms. Mulligan will make us love, then hate Daisy. Hahaha.

I don't know how long I will have to wait in the UAE, I mean what if it doesn't come out at all here :cry:

You probably heard one of those radio trailers cos the song isn't out yet lol.

Hey hey, Beyonce has a pretty good voice too ya know.

Yeah, he picked the actors and actresses based on their suitability to the role in our time. He didn't pick DiCaprio cos he is a big name, he picked DiCaprio cos DiCaprio is the best to play Gatsby, etc. :D

I have a feeling Ms. Mulligan will make us love, then hate Daisy. Hahaha.

Naw, it wasn't a trailer. The radio jockeys were talking about it but we missed the part where they said what movie it was from.

Beyonce's voice is okay, but not Amy Winehouse okay. I'm so not a Beyonce fan lol can you tell :lol:

DiCaprio is a very good actor. I can't believe he's never won an Oscar or something. I've watched him ever since he did Gilbert Grape and thought he was amazing. He's just gotten himself really typecast recently so its nice to see him take on a different role. I think he'd make a really good Gatsby.

There aren't many good movies out this year so I'm really looking forward to it.

Naw, it wasn't a trailer. The radio jockeys were talking about it but we missed the part where they said what movie it was from.

Beyonce's voice is okay, but not Amy Winehouse okay. I'm so not a Beyonce fan lol can you tell :lol:

DiCaprio is a very good actor. I can't believe he's never won an Oscar or something. I've watched him ever since he did Gilbert Grape and thought he was amazing. He's just gotten himself really typecast recently so its nice to see him take on a different role. I think he'd make a really good Gatsby.

There aren't many good movies out this year so I'm really looking forward to it.

DiCaprio certainly has big shoes to fill. Robert Redford was excellent as Gatsby.

And Mo, I don't think anyone can love Daisy, not even if she is played by Mulligan.

Haha, Pacino's Oscar was also delayed. Tells you alot about the academy huh :P

DiCaprio certainly has big shoes to fill. Robert Redford was excellent as Gatsby.

And Mo, I don't think anyone can love Daisy, not even if she is played by Mulligan.

I guess not but Mulligan makes her look adorable in the trailer.

So the soundtrack was released and I heard all of it. Not too bad! Jay-Z did pretty good :)

"Einstein, My mind, This MC move white squares with my relatives." - off the track, $100 Bill by Jay-Z. And Lana del Rey and Florence + The Machines songs were fantastic also.

I heard the Beyonce and Andre3000 version of back to black and it doesn't sound bad, better than I expected really but to be honest, with the type of movie theme they should have stuck to Amy Winehouse because her voice is so decadent that it would have been the perfect song/sound for the movie. Love the Florence and the Machine song, then again I love her sound all the time.

^ Amy's voice wouldn't have suited the beat they made for the film though, and unfortunatley due to her death the couldn't have he remake it.

I am so excited for this movie! The Great Gatsby is one of my favourite novels and though I am a bit reluctant to see a cinematic adaptation (I haven't watched the other film, though I did study it a bit..and by study I mean it was mentioned in a lecture) I don't think I'll be disappointed with this one!

(Refusing to watch any trailers or listen to te sound track..just hoping to be blown away when I actually watch it) :)

It's getting pretty bad reviews, which is disappointing. It seems like one of those novels that there will never be a really excellent film adaptation of.

I am so excited for this movie! The Great Gatsby is one of my favourite novels and though I am a bit reluctant to see a cinematic adaptation (I haven't watched the other film, though I did study it a bit..and by study I mean it was mentioned in a lecture) I don't think I'll be disappointed with this one!

(Refusing to watch any trailers or listen to te sound track..just hoping to be blown away when I actually watch it) :)

You should watch the Robert Redford one. It was really good. I remember watching it in high school and I loved it. I rarely love films made from books but it was good.

I don't think we should pay too much attention to reviews. A lot of people will compare it to the old version as well and won't like it. They're not making it to compare, I'm sure Lurhmann is trying to do something different. Tbh, I didn't like the trailers that much but I will go and see it to make my own judgement. It should be judged as a stand alone.