Maniac Muslim Forums

You should watch the Robert Redford one. It was really good. I remember watching it in high school and I loved it. I rarely love films made from books but it was good.

I don't think we should pay too much attention to reviews. A lot of people will compare it to the old version as well and won't like it. They're not making it to compare, I'm sure Lurhmann is trying to do something different. Tbh, I didn't like the trailers that much but I will go and see it to make my own judgement. It should be judged as a stand alone.

Completely agree with you there! It's a shame that because the novel is a classic, the film will constantly be scrutinised; always more criticised than acclaimed. But then again comparison is inevitable, and that's all there is to it :P

I'll hold off watching the Redford one after I've watched Lurhmann...just hoping that at least one of those versions is close to what I imagine the story will look like on screen.

Yeah I just watched it.

It was pretty depressing. The effects were great, DiCaprios acting was good.

I give it a 7/10.

Lol it reminded me a bit of when English people come to the UAE. Hahaha.

Lol it reminded me a bit of when English people come to the UAE. Hahaha.

How so? I'm intrigued :)

I can't wait to watch it now! Regardless of the mixed reviews, I'm really hoping it's worth my money

How so? I'm intrigued :)

I can't wait to watch it now! Regardless of the mixed reviews, I'm really hoping it's worth my money

When folks not from the UAE in general come to live here, if they try be a part of native society, are consistently blown away by the sheer excess. Nick Carraway's first impression of NY reminded me of that :P

I went to watch it this weekend and I wasn't that impressed tbh. If I had never read the book or watched the original then I think I would have thought it was great but I also would have not understood the story and got the wrong impression of the characters. Mulligan's Daisy is very likeable indeed. She is painted as a tragic heroine and not the shallow person she really was. And you don't even feel much anger towards Tom for his actions, because lets face it, he caused the whole bloody thing. Tom's personality wasn't brought out as well as it should have been. I remember reading the book and I hated both of them!

And all that hype about beyonce's version of back to black and you could barely hear it for the 2 seconds it was on. Florence and The machine I enjoyed cos you could actually hear it. And really, there was no reason to do a remix of B2B because Winehouse's original would have been perfect to be played at the end when Gatsby dies.