Maniac Muslim Forums
Ameena

Online TESL/TEFL

Does anybody know of any good online TESL/TEFL/ESOL/ESL courses? I'm looking for courses that are 100+ hours, and that don't charge a ridiculous amount of money. Being an unemployed and majorly broke graduate, $200NZD is the least I can afford, and about $600-800 is the most( i'd have to save for a few weeks to afford that; and/or beg the parents!).

I'm actually considering looking for teaching jobs in South Korea since i'm learning the language right now, and I've wanted to travel around Asia for a very long time and this would be the best first stop.

i watch korean dramas 'beane' means sorry and 'afzeyo' means greetings

Ameena, before you start a TEFL course, look for jobs in the country you want to work in and see whether most of them accept online courses. A friend of mine did an online TEFL course but all the places she applied/wanted to work, none of them accepted an online TEFL, and wanted either the Trinity TEFL or the CELTA, so just make sure you do the right course so you don't end up wasting your money.

Read through this, it might be help you: http://www.cactustefl.com/get_started/types_of_tefl.php

I don't actually know any decent online TEFL courses, but I was going to advise you to go for an accredited course so you a much better chance of getting a job inshaAllah.

All the best hun.

Does anybody know of any good online TESL/TEFL/ESOL/ESL courses? I'm looking for courses that are 100+ hours, and that don't charge a ridiculous amount of money. Being an unemployed and majorly broke graduate, $200NZD is the least I can afford, and about $600-800 is the most( i'd have to save for a few weeks to afford that; and/or beg the parents!).

I'm actually considering looking for teaching jobs in South Korea since i'm learning the language right now, and I've wanted to travel around Asia for a very long time and this would be the best first stop.

Check out i-to-i.com for cheaper online TEFL courses - they have a range of courses. And you can easily travel/get a teaching job with this qualification. It's obviously no Trinity or Celta but those are just fancy qualifications and aren't "better" than any other or online.

What I would advise you is, to consolidate your online training, if you have the time, get some practical experience i.e. volunteer somewhere.

I wish I had travelled but I think it's too late for me now :(

I get regular e-mails from Amazon about discounted TEFL Courses online. Give them a try.

I've been looking for exactly the same thing. Cheapest so far has been 250...

Ameena, before you start a TEFL course, look for jobs in the country you want to work in and see whether most of them accept online courses. A friend of mine did an online TEFL course but all the places she applied/wanted to work, none of them accepted an online TEFL, and wanted either the Trinity TEFL or the CELTA, so just make sure you do the right course so you don't end up wasting your money.

Read through this, it might be help you: http://www.cactustefl.com/get_started/types_of_tefl.php

I don't actually know any decent online TEFL courses, but I was going to advise you to go for an accredited course so you a much better chance of getting a job inshaAllah.

All the best hun.

Thanks for the link! All the places that I looked at didn't really specify whether or not they accepted online certificates, but inshaAllah I'll look into it so I don't spend more money than I need to.

Check out i-to-i.com for cheaper online TEFL courses - they have a range of courses. And you can easily travel/get a teaching job with this qualification. It's obviously no Trinity or Celta but those are just fancy qualifications and aren't "better" than any other or online.

What I would advise you is, to consolidate your online training, if you have the time, get some practical experience i.e. volunteer somewhere.

I wish I had travelled but I think it's too late for me now :(

Whoa, those are so expensive. I could only afford that if 1) I saved ever penny I get for the next 6 months, or 2) I beg le parents to pay for it. However, the parents are not budging because I've been cut off. Sad times!

I'm actually looking into the possibility of getting the $$ as part of my student loan, then maybe I'll go for a CELTA certificate.

I get regular e-mails from Amazon about discounted TEFL Courses online. Give them a try.

Cool, thanks.

I've been looking for exactly the same thing. Cheapest so far has been 250...

Th cheapest I've found so far is about 400-500 dollars which isn't too much out of my budget, but it would still require quite a lot of will power to save.

Ameena do you have groupon or living social or other couponing offer sites in NZ? If so, subscribe to them. I frequently see discounted TEFL courses on them, usually around 50-70% off. I was thinking about doing it before and going to khaleej but when I looked into the job market there, they usually require at least 1-2 teaching experience accompanied with the TEFL along with a bachelors degree. That was for the good jobs though that have housing allowance for you, spouse and kids, tax free income and annual flights home. I don't know about in Asia because I only looked into Qatar, Saudi and Bahrain.

Whoa, those are so expensive. I could only afford that if 1) I saved ever penny I get for the next 6 months, or 2) I beg le parents to pay for it. However, the parents are not budging because I've been cut off. Sad times!

I'm actually looking into the possibility of getting the $$ as part of my student loan, then maybe I'll go for a CELTA certificate.

Ah sorry didn't realise they have put their prices up! They weren't that much a few years ago.

Like a few others suggest - there are discounts available for online courses too so don't rule them out just yet...!

Ah sorry didn't realise they have put their prices up! They weren't that much a few years ago.

Like a few others suggest - there are discounts available for online courses too so don't rule them out just yet...!

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for any discounts that I may find. I have a friend who taught in Japan for 3 years so I've messaged her for advice on courses and such.

I didn't want to make a whole new thread so I'm just gonna post here....

I was wondering if it's better to take the IELTS or TOEFL? I'm going to be applying for postgrad, so I guess that requires IELTS? I was looking at different universities' requirements and most of them accept either test. But I was thinking IELTS might be more beneficial in the long run, for example if I have to travel to Europe/Australia etc. What would you guys recommend?

I didn't want to make a whole new thread so I'm just gonna post here....

I was wondering if it's better to take the IELTS or TOEFL? I'm going to be applying for postgrad, so I guess that requires IELTS? I was looking at different universities' requirements and most of them accept either test. But I was thinking IELTS might be more beneficial in the long run, for example if I have to travel to Europe/Australia etc. What would you guys recommend?

Where are you from?

Also TESL/TEFL is a different thing than IELTS and TOEFL.

Where are you from?

Also TESL/TEFL is a different thing than IELTS and TOEFL.

From Pakistan, but I haven't been born and bred there...

Yeah, I know, but they're all language proficiency tests, that's why I thought I'd just post my question here.

From Pakistan, but I haven't been born and bred there...

Yeah, I know, but they're all language proficiency tests, that's why I thought I'd just post my question here.

If you are applying from Pakistan, you are right about needing TOEFL or IELTS to get in to grad school. Also the thing about Europe and America is right as far as I know. What is your field?

TESL/TEFL is teaching English as a foreign language. That is suitable for teachers who are going to teach English to non english speakers. But if the university accepts TEFL/TESL as a qualification for English knowledge, fine I guess.