Maniac Muslim Forums
Mufasa

Job interviews

Tips from those who've been there and done that?

My friend has been preparing like crazy and now it has me worried. I didn't apply to that many places and so I don't have that many shots.

So yup, just offer up some secrets to winning over the interviewer. Sure many of us can benefit from this since most of us are college-ish/just graduated, yup.

Look up the company on Glassdoor.com or elsewhere to get an idea of what questions they ask. If you know anyone who's already interviewed there (or search your friends for people who work(ed) there), ask them about it.

I like practicing by doing more interviews (as opposed to, or in addition to, reading a book and studying). This is especially true for technical interviews, where practice is very very useful.

I'd schedule interviews I'm less invested in first, as practice. The more you do, the less nervous you get.

I had a two month period where I had 2-4 interviews (phone or on site) every week... Good times. It gets addicting. Do you have specific questions?

Mufasa record yourself on webcam answering typical interview questions and then watch it and see if there's anything you need to improve, things like body language, eye contact, hand gestures, facial expressions etc. non-verbal communication is just as important imo

I could be talking absolute garbage but if I say it with confidence and have a nice smile on my face, I'll still make a good impression

Tips from those who've been there and done that?

My friend has been preparing like crazy and now it has me worried. I didn't apply to that many places and so I don't have that many shots.

So yup, just offer up some secrets to winning over the interviewer. Sure many of us can benefit from this since most of us are college-ish/just graduated, yup.

What Jaf said is important. An interview I did at the beginning of the year, had very little idea about the course and I basically bull♥♥♥♥ted my way through but it came down to confidence and smooth talking. Don't be over confident though to the point of arrogance. Make it seem like you know a lot but you are also wanting to learn more which 'you are sure' you will be able to do if you work for X company.

Prepare yourself by finding out what the job entails and how you will go about doing it. Because that is something that is always asked; 'how will you go about implementing xyz?', 'if you are faced with x challenge, how will you respond?'. Know what the organisation is about and what their aims are because they will also ask how you will fit in with their objectives on the whole.

What kind of positions are you applying for?

Thanks for the tips all! Cubster, they're all jobs in media. Well actually, they're paid internships so they just last like 3-6 months. Also rafiki, I dont actually have to wear a suit, do I? I assumrd dress button down shirt and suit panta are fine. Or polo and kakhis? What about for something that doesn't seem so formal. They dude was just like "why don't you come and meet the staff?". Its a small-medium size newspaper.

Thanks for the tips all! Cubster, they're all jobs in media. Well actually, they're paid internships so they just last like 3-6 months. Also rafiki, I dont actually have to wear a suit, do I? I assumrd dress button down shirt and suit panta are fine. Or polo and kakhis? What about for something that doesn't seem so formal. They dude was just like "why don't you come and meet the staff?". Its a small-medium size newspaper.

It's better to be over dressed than under dressed, you want to make a good impression. I personally would wear a suit but what you described sounds fine, as long as you look presentable

A tie is optional, but if you do choose to wear a suit I think it looks better with a tie, if you can find a matching pocket square that's a plus, you'll look really smart and clean

Also make sure you tie your tie right, full windsor knot looks the best imo and it doesn't come undone

EDIT: Oh yeah also really important, the fitting of your suit, has to fit you well, not too tight not too loose

evan-ng-suit.jpg

The left is too big, the right is better but his jacket is still a teeny bit too tight

Two%20Piece%20Suits.jpg

^ that's what you're aiming for

If you don't have a suit that fits you well then leave it, I wouldn't buy a whole new suit just for 1 interview

no plaid

unfortunately you have to wear suits. the idiotic society have deemed it mandatory. at least wear a jacket

Dress to impress! (it helps if you smell nice too, don't overdo it with the cologne though)

f25ae1f3e3270d96af9b2068aafd543f.jpg

Interesting! And quite true!

The scientifically reviewed bit:

According to research detailed in Richard Wiseman's book '59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot', the most important factor when giving an interview (even more so than work experience and qualifications) is likability. Likability depends as much on non work related conversation and showing interest in the interviewer more than just talking about work (ie building a rapport). Ask the interviewer about their role, what they do and who they are looking for. Show interest in the company too.

Second on the list is detailing your weaknesses early on, apparently this gives you an air of being an honest and open person (toast says: be diplomatic and intelligent with your weaknesses, you don't want to come across as pathetic). Don't do this with strengths though, as you come across arrogant.

If you make a major mistake, like spilling water on the table, or someone, don't make a huge deal out of it. Apologise, clear it up if appropriate, and pretend it didn't happen.

My Experience:

I usually wear a suit to an interview, but clothing is so culturally dependent - not just across geographies but also across industries. The key thing to remember is be appropriate. I think suits are more of an expectation in Europe and Finance, probably not a big deal in media, but do your research - scope out the office of the company you will be interviewing for and see what they usually wear. I think being a little more formal than the interviewers is acceptable, but being way more formal probably also sends the wrong signal. Though if you are wearing a suit and tie, all you have to do to deformalise yourself is remove the jacket and tie.

When I go to an interview I am just myself, and when they ask me to tell them a little bit about myself I explain some of my academic background and a bit about my work experience, but I also throw in things like 'I enjoy cooking and entertaining', which gets a sort of surprised though positive response.

Also make dua, and believe. Believe that God answered your prayer and believe in yourself.

Why should you listen to me? I haven't been rejected for a job after getting to the interview stage. Alhamdulillah.

That's all for now, gotta shoot.