Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
4thwall

Personal Happiness

So it's my finals week and I'm just taking a break from math. So I'm gonna ramble a little and write a little stream of conscious that I hope someone will enjoy. Every once in a while I pop in here and lurk. In my life I've gone through different religions, had different friends, and different political beliefs. Does that make my ideas superior to anyone else's? Maybe or maybe not.

Regardless, I think my thoughts on this may be helpful. I think happiness is a state that is in our own heads. What I mean, is other people aren't going to grant you happiness necessarily. Happiness is what you make it. Right now, I am very bored but very content with the way the things are going in my life. My ATTITUDE towards my life makes me happy and not just the things I am doing.

If you are happy, I am sure you can confirm for me: There are people who deal with more suffering then you, more work, more poverty that are happier or just as happy as you. There are people who are richer and have easier lives who aren't. I think this is why, I always found asceticism in Islam so interesting and asceticism across the board. I am not suggesting we should all go live in caves and eat grass. I don't think that having less will make a person happy, but I do think people can be happy with less or with more.

I am in the same mind with you on this.

As you said, there are people who live with more problems and suffering and poverty than you do, yet they are happier or just as happy as you are.

One of the reasons for that is because they don't judge themselves excessively based on external things ... like how they look, what clothes they wear, how many cars they have, how rich or poor they are, what educational degree they have, how many friends they have, what job they are doing, what other people think or say about them ... and so on and so forth. Rather, they are content with whatever that they have, whether they live in a castle or live in a hut.

Islam also teaches that even if all these materialistic things were deprived from us, we should still be happy - or conversely - we should be thankful to our Creator, for everything that we have already. Happiness and gratitude should always be present in our hearts and minds, although it is natural to fall into depression and sadness every now and then, but eventually, we should come out of such feelings when we start to remember the uncountable blessings that Allah has bestowed upon us.

And Allah said in the Quran: "So remember Me; I will remember you. And be grateful to Me and do not deny Me." (Surah 2:142)

Also, as narrated in a hadith, the Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said:

“How amazing is the affair of the believer. Verily there is good for him in everything and that is for no one except the believer. If any good comes to him, he expresses gratitude to Allah and that is good for him, and if any hardship comes to him, he endures it patiently and that is (also) good for him.” (Sahih Muslim)

This reminded me of a beautiful hadith by Imam Al Hussain (as);

"If calamities of time bite you, do not seek the refuge of the creatures. Do not ask anybody except God the Distributor of the sustenance. If you live for a long time and wander in this world from the West to the East, you will not find anybody who is able to give you happiness or remove your unhappiness".

edit: Best of luck with your finals.

It sounds like common sense, but it is something I've recently learned- that you can't make people happy. I've struggled with this, because I've found it frustrating sometimes talking to people who are unhappy no matter what they have or go through. Whether they're in a state of ease or hardship or comfort or sadness or if a miracle happens and their duas come true, or something doesn't work out- nothing will get them out of that state of unhappiness. There's always something to be unhappy or angry or frustrated about and there's always someone to blame, including God. And the ironic thing is, their mindset is the only thing that's holding them back from being happy.

I think happiness usually correlates more with how you look at and understand yourself than with anything else. It's usually something subjective. But I also don't think understanding your place in the order of things will help you become more happy. And I have friends who are dirt poor, have lived through wars, and have had their family members and friends killed, and yet still, some of what makes them saddest is a girl not liking them back, getting a bad grade or something else so similarly mundane and meaningless.

For someone who breaks his finger, it doesn't matter that someone else has broken his ribs, that finger's still going to hurt like hell.

The only way, I think, to be happy is to learn to love yourself some. Happiness can be found in any circumstance -- in wealth or in asceticism -- but it's all a matter of mind. Certain situations might make happiness more doable (statistically, this is someone making over a certain level of income, with close relationships, a comfortable upbringing, and so on).

I watched The Pursuit of Happyness yesterday and it made me so happy :')

There is actually one place on earth where everyone will surely find happiness. Where is it?

Answer:

In a dictionary.

This person.

Edit: I actually laughed

I really suggest you guys watch this.

Brilliant and practical and hilarious.

Such a charismatic speaker, I really enjoyed his talk!!! But he didn't say anything Islam doesn't already teach us...if only we study our own religion in depth!

Such a charismatic speaker, I really enjoyed his talk!!! But he didn't say anything Islam doesn't already teach us...if only we study our own religion in depth!

Yeah I know. I was watching it thinking, hey I already knew that! Haha.

Sometimes it's good to have a reminder from an outside source.