Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M-C

An Open Letter to Bad Tippers

Look what I found

So, is there really a problem?

Are you kidding? someone should not be making 7.25 an hour anyway. That's a minimum wage but it's not a livable wage. Check this list out: http://livingwage.mit.edu/. It shows you averages of what is required for living. If everyone stopped tipping and so everyone was being paid 7.25, half of the restaurant industry would quit.

I did the math for a city like New York. If you work making minimum wage for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, you would be able to afford a very small studio apartment (whole thing is one room) about 40-50 minutes from Manhattan with about 160 dollar excess. Oh wait, then you can't even afford the monthly subway card to be able to get to work.

I think its up to you to decide who you tip and how. In SA tipping has become some kind of crazy culture. Everybody gets tipped, from the unnecessary 'car guards', to petrol attendants and shop packers ...

But this would most likely due to wanting to keep these people on your side, right? Or next time, your car won't be so safe afterall.... yeah?

Look what I found

So, is there really a problem?

They are still dependant on tips for that 11.82 an hour. You shouldn't take minimum wage as an indicator of the lowest liveable wage someone can be paid. Minimum wage law in itself is dodgy anyway but let's not bother getting into that.

They are still dependant on tips for that 11.82 an hour. You shouldn't take minimum wage as an indicator of the lowest liveable wage someone can be paid. Minimum wage law in itself is dodgy anyway but let's not bother getting into that.

then we are back to asking about tipping McD workers and other service workers.

Are you kidding? someone should not be making 7.25 an hour anyway. That's a minimum wage but it's not a livable wage. Check this list out: http://livingwage.mit.edu/. It shows you averages of what is required for living.

No contest here, but now waiters shouldn't be distinguished from other service workers and McD workers.

If everyone stopped tipping and so everyone was being paid 7.25, half of the restaurant industry would quit.

excellent idea. such a wasteful industry.

In the US, federal minimum wage for waiters is 2.13 an hour. Obviously that's not enough to live on. Tips are not considered nice gestures here, they're simply a part of what is expected in the cost. A generous tip might be a nice gesture, but 15-20% is just standard.

Not sure about UK. But I don't see how it's disputable here.

$2.13 ????? What??? When??? How??? Minimum wage in NYC is currently $8.

$2.13 ????? What??? When??? How??? Minimum wage in NYC is currently $8.

Restaurants are dif cuz tipping is assumed

Restaurants are dif cuz tipping is assumed

stop saying that now. We already established the minimum wage is not 2.13.

But this would most likely due to wanting to keep these people on your side, right? Or next time, your car won't be so safe afterall.... yeah?

No. Its cos people feel bad for them. Cars are safe or not safe regardless of whether there are 'guards' there. They are mostly parking guides. They don't even know which car belongs to who. The only thing they're good for is to stop other cars when you're backing out the parking and even then they can be a hindrance and annoyance. But people feel bad for them and give them loose change when they have it. You'd have to be a regular person for them to actually know which car belongs to you and by regular I mean go to that place every day. I have only ever had two car guards who would recognise which was my car or my moms. The first was the guy at the mall where I worked, he knew my mum and myself and he would recognise our car, even when she came with my brother's car he would take note of it. And then another mall that I went to almost everyday the guy there new me and my car. But as I said, this doesn't happen too often. I do test them a lot by letting them take my shopping my cart and seeing whether they know where to go or whether they wait for me to lead and always they have no idea where I parked my car. And they don't do anything to stop cars being broken into or stolen. They don't even notice when something like that happens.

I have really strong opinions about tipping. I know that it was mentioned that in the US, servers are paid only $2-$3/hr and depend on tips to make a living. IMO people in the US who don't tip are practically stealing because it's assumed that they will tip. I agree with most of what was said in the OP. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out. Exceptions are obviously made for ♥♥♥♥ty service but no one should ever walk into a restaurant expecting to not tip the staff. 18% is minimum, 22% is average, 25%+ is for exceptional service.