Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M-C

An Open Letter to Bad Tippers

Nah as in what's the amount you're supposed to give, and when do you give it? Is it at restaurants or places where you sit down and eat? At hairdressers? I remember reading a post where Musa tipped the lady who did his laundary, so I just wanted to know all the different times/places where people are supposed to do this.

I think its customary here to give 5 or 10 dirham bills as tips for any service that isn't bad. Typically tips are given to those working in service industries that aren't at a desk, such as housekeepers, hairdressers, waiters, launderers, car cleaners, pump workers, gardeners, delivery-people, taxi drivers, handymen and babysitters. Typically these are low-skill labour jobs that in most cases do not require much training in comparison with other service jobs such as a doctor, lawyer, banker, teacher, etc., who tend to require a degree and other qualifications in order to practice their profession effectively.

I think its customary here to give 5 or 10 dirham bills as tips for any service that isn't bad. Typically tips are given to those working in service industries that aren't at a desk, such as housekeepers, hairdressers, waiters, launderers, car cleaners, pump workers, gardeners, delivery-people, taxi drivers, handymen and babysitters. Typically these are low-skill labour jobs that in most cases do not require much training in comparison with other service jobs such as a doctor, lawyer, banker, teacher, etc., who tend to require a degree and other qualifications in order to practice their profession effectively.

Now I get it, I guess i've not really known much about this cuz I've never really used any of those services.

Sometimes I feel like I like under a rock cuz most things are news to me. Thank you for explaining this.

Perfume samples are not impressive when you're minted. My POOR (literally) Russian cousin in Belarus sent me 15 designer perfumes in the post after being offered them at a discounted rate (note: he still paid from his own pocket) after doing an internship at a perfumery. That's the kind of generosity that touches. Also when a Allah says to purify ourselves by giving from what we love- and giving from a standard we would expect for ourselves- giving samples seems skanky!

Dang, 15 designer perfumes sounds like a buttload of money, even at a discounted price. That is extremely generous, mashAllah. But it almost physically hurts me to think of the cost of that :/

Also does that mean you're part Russian, or did I misunderstand something?

Yeah, it kills me too to think the dough he parted with- especially considering I only wear them on the days I know I'm not leaving the house since I don't wanna have it on outside. His dad is my uncle, mum is Russian and they settled in Belarus so he was born and raised there, Mr Alexander Alexandrov! He's quite a militant athiest so this delivery came as a nice reassurance that he didn't hate me after a few heated religion-centric debates!

So to stay on topic, I think postmen deserve to get tipped too- they work damn hard in offering horrid weather conditions lugging heavy packages around.

I'm not sure how it works elsewhere, but in the US, restaurants do not pay minimum wage. Most waiters and waitresses are making maybe $2 to $3 an hour from their employer, so if you don't tip, it is kind of a jerk move unless they deserved it.

How come they don't pay min wage? Isn't it against law?

How come they don't pay min wage? Isn't it against law?

There's a different minimum wage for services where tips are expected and basically unwritten requirements and it varies by state.

This article says because of the influence of the restaurant lobby, I don't know though. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/02/minimum-wage-restaurant-workers_n_1515916.html

Nah as in what's the amount you're supposed to give, and when do you give it? Is it at restaurants or places where you sit down and eat? At hairdressers? I remember reading a post where Musa tipped the lady who did his laundary, so I just wanted to know all the different times/places where people are supposed to do this.

I think you tip most low-wage workers where there's a more one-on-one interaction. Like they're a part of a company or industry but they're the one doing work for you. So hair-cutter, taxi driver, valet parker (if you're fancy), dry cleaner, waiter, repairman, bag carriers at hotels, delivery man etc.. All of those things, you're basically dealing with one person. Some are more unclear than others though, so I don't think there's a standard policy for all and you just have to go with what you think and hope you're not a jerk if you decide against tipping.

For me I've seen most (relative) generosity amongst the wealthy and the poor. The middle income that I know have been the stingiest. By far the most easy going with with their wealth relatively to me have been those on opposite sides of the spectrum, the extremely wealthy and the extremely poor.

I think with the middle class it's more than likely they are very principle orientated and have ingrained beliefs in thrift, cost consciousness and obtaining what they see as their rights. I don't think your friend was upset on the fact it was 5p but on a matter of principle as Musa said.

I think this is mostly true. I think it's more than just being principle oriented though, the middle class is afraid (and actually rightfully so) of losing their precariously held wealth, so even something as small as leaving a good tip might seem extravagant to them. Although some very rich people are just stingy. From the wealthiest client (gigantic house for just him and his partner, luxury car, designer clothes, constant travelling, etc etc), I got 50 dollars as an x-mas tip, which was the amount most of the middle class clients gave. I got two 100 dollar tips, one from an engineer and psychiatrist couple, the other from a journalist and osteopath couple (who have FOUR cats). Those two clients have a lot of disposable income; I'm there at each every two weeks and they always have new stuff and tags and receipts everywhere.

I get what you guys are saying but I think it's probably relying too much on generalizations. There are other factors that affect people's financial ways than just how much they actually have. *deleted my deeper analysis to save you all*

*snip*

Also, speaking of being principled stingy, I feel compelled to share one of the most frustrating moments of my life. I've probably already told a few people this because I was so mad and I felt so betrayed. I don't remember all the exact details anymore (like the exact prices, so I'm making up numbers, but I think they're right).

So I had this nightly routine to basically take a late walk each night and stop by a bubble tea place. They have those cards where you get a stamp each time you buy and then when you fill up the card you get a free bubble tea. In order to get a stamp, you had to buy something that was $3 or more, so even though what I wanted most was 2.75 I always bought something that was more than $3 just to get my stamp. It took me a long time to fill up the card because I kept losing it and having to start over. So I went to this place every night for more than a month before filling up a card, and it was always the same person there. I talked with her and I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS. Then I finally filled up my card, and I was so excited! Alas, I could collect my prize. So I go there and get the usual $3 thing, and they tell me my free item has to be under $2.50!!! I thought we were friends so I tried to be nice and smiley. "Ahhh but maybe this time there can be an exception?" She -- my best friend -- said no. That really annoyed me, because it doesn't make any fricken sense that you have to buy something over $3 each time and then can only get something that's less than $2.50! So I got something that was $2.50 and then she asked if I wanted whipped cream. I said yes, and she said it would be 50 cents! 50 cents for whipped cream, after I had been there consistently every night for more than a month! Jeez, when I worked at a pet store I would give people free stuff all the time for no reason.

I haven't gone back since. I feel so betrayed. If you made it this far, I have mad respect for you because this is even more boring and insignificant than most of my other stories.

I get what you guys are saying but I think it's probably relying too much on generalizations. There are other factors that affect people's financial ways than just how much they actually have. *deleted my deeper analysis to save you all*

*snip*

Noooo why did you delete the deeper analysis??

*snip*

LOL @ bubble tea betrayal. How old were you when this happened? 14?

LOL @ bubble tea betrayal. How old were you when this happened? 14?

LOL this was 2 months ago. It was a joke though lol. I mean the thing really happened, but I don't really care. I do think the policy is dumb though. Like it did kill any interest I have in filling up another card. So their sales tactic FAILED. What do you think about that mo?

LOL this was 2 months ago. It was a joke though lol. I mean the thing really happened, but I don't really care. I do think the policy is dumb though. Like it did kill any interest I have in filling up another card. So their sales tactic FAILED. What do you think about that mo?

companies with better reward schemes keep business, companies with poor and misleading reward schemes lose the trust of their clients and customers.

also interesting is the concept of entitlement that clients and customers get if additional services are given continuously. should these services be taken away it often results in the loss of some customers.

I often tip if I have had good service, but someone demanding it would give me every reason to not tip. I don't work in a food environment but I have been (generously) tipped on a few occasions and it's really nice. But I would never expect someone to tip me even if I gave great service, because the reason I work full time is to earn money. If you feel like you're having to live off tips, then maybe consider getting another job more suitable for you so that you don't have to rely on People's tips who are already paying for what they are there for.

It's a nice gesture, but that's all it should be. A good will gesture for your service and nothing more.