Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chantstradford

72virgins

Salam brothers and sisters,

I have a question about the hadith because i haven't gotten far into reading them. Everytime im approach by someone and i tell them my religion they ask about 72virgins i always reply its lost in translation and its actually 72 dat palm fruit am i right? Help please thanks

I went to an interfaith dialogue last year, and this question was asked.

The imam answered, that in Jannah, Allah will give us whatever we want. ALL our desires will be fulfilled. For ex: We desire houses, so in Jannah, we will get huge mansions, and they will be way better than our imagination can reach. Our desire for cars, maybe we will all have flying horses or wings of our own. Or something even better. We desire food, so we will get the best kinds of food..and so on. Since men desire women, that too will be fulfilled.

And also the number 70 is special in Islam. It basically means A LOT. Our mind can not grasp large numbers. So whenever the prophet (sas) wanted to say a large number, he said 70. We don't know what this number actually means, but lets just say, we will be happy in Jannah.

To my knowledge the 72 virgins "promise" is fake and an innovation. There is no evidence that this exists. It's even covered in this video by a non-muslim

I don't know if the number is real (i've heard its not) but the idea of virgins is mainstream.

To my knowledge the 72 virgins "promise" is fake and an innovation. There is no evidence that this exists. It's even covered in this video by a non-muslim

yeah go to a non muslim to learn about islam. brilliant!

It's like coming on here and learning about it no?

people here should link to good sources.

people here should link to good sources.

I'm confident that an imam will give you the same answer. My point was that even non-muslims acknowledge it's fake.

Edit: Everything stated in that video is pretty solid, if you, are anyone else, bothers to entirely watch a linked video

I'm confident that an imam will give you the same answer. My point was that even non-muslims acknowledge it's fake.

Not really. Any real scholar will say its not fake.

Edit: Everything stated in that video is pretty solid, if you, are anyone else, bothers to entirely watch a linked video

While the video is pretty good intro to Islam, it is simply an 10 min long light intro, and not every thing it says is solid. He says the thing about 72 virgins is not mentioned in Quran, which is half truth. "72" might not be mentioned but virgins, or more specifically, hoor-al-ayn are mentioned in Quran.

But before starting to debate about the virgins we need to understand the question. Virgins here refers to hoor-al-ayn, mentioned in Quran e.g., 56.22-23, 52.20. Hoor al ayn is anglicized as 'houri', and nowadays it is translated as "virgins". Then there are two issues.

1. Are hoor-al-ayn legit in Islam

2. Usage of the concept of hoors by Islamophobes to attack Islam.

As for the first issue, it is easy to demonstrate that indeed, hoor-al-ayn legitimately exists in Islam, because they are explicitly mentioned in Quran and hadith. Quran reference is given above. A hadith reference from sahih Bukhari here, and many more can be found. Hoor/houri/"virgins" mentioned here are not human women. Read up good sources, or even search MM for more info.

As for the second issue, roots of contention goes back to medieval times. The issue about sexuality in Christianity and Islam are almost opposite. Christians (at least classically) view sex as evil (it's a necessary evil), and it has been inconceivable to them that sex can exist in paradise, because every thing in paradise is pure. Muslims of course, have no problem with sex (within marriage, etc) and muslims don't see sex as being inherently evil. Thus sexual pleasure in paradise is not an issue. But from Christians point of view, mention of sexuality in paradise should be a reason for embarrassment for Muslims, and even a reason to see Islam as being a corrupted version of Christian faith.

This historic contention has been extrapolated to our times, and now it is expressed in a different way. Namely, they use it to say that women in Islam are being subjugated by men, even in paradise. Islamophobes also try to say that suicide bombers are motivated by 72 virgins, and hence they claim that Islam is a lowly religion (people die and kill for sex in Islam). This point of Islamophobes is wrong in many aspects. First of all, suicide bombing is not allowed in Islam. And those who do blowup themselves aren't really motivated by 72 virgins - see research. The argument of the Islamophobes is flimsy, and I don't see what's the issue is, or why there is any need for apology.

Very interesting, I'll read more into it then. I've always believed it's fake and people told me the same but never looked into it.

Thanks for that man

I want a kitten! but I hear they poop everywhere.

This topic seemed kind of dodgy at first, lol.

You'd poop everywhere too if you didn't have a place to poop in. Give a kitteh a place to poop and they'll only poop there. Or just give them easy access to the great big outside litter box.