Maniac Muslim Forums
cubster

What do you want out of a lecture/lecturer?

Wow! Good luck with it! Thats seriously scary. I wonder what the marking criteria are though? Like what do the markers take into consideration for the marks to have to be that way.

Its a really daft criteria. Its a basic right or wrong answer marking system. There is no opportunity or consideration for the reason of your answer. The method / argument doesn't count.

Taught my first class today. Of 4 students. Thought my voice wouldn't come out from being too nervous. But it did. Guess it just takes some getting used to. Had no idea what I was talking about half the time. Oh well, first day. I feel proud of myself though, because I was always afraid to talk in front of people, and I think this is a first step in overcoming that fear. ^_^

I cannot like this post enough, good to see Haku and Cubster actually plan and think about lectures and ways to involve students in their classes. Times have changed, like my signature says gaining Knowledge is easy and difficult at the same time. When i was in School/University(some of you were not even born back then) in India, we had to walk for Miles and then take a bus which ad 100+ students crammed in it with most of them standing an stepping on toes. not enough place to breath let alone stand, we still somehow managed to make it to classes on time, take notes of what's being taught. Worst of them was Labs/practicals involving Electronics and Electrical systems, we had frequent power cuts. We had a power cut before we could even start experimenting and this made us stay after hours miles away from Home with one bus every couple of hrs for 100+ hungry kids waiting to get back. In the hindsight we still love and miss those days. (Ignore my Engles/Grammar, I am no good at it) :)

I cannot like this post enough, good to see Haku and Cubster actually plan and think about lectures and ways to involve students in their classes. Times have changed, like my signature says gaining Knowledge is easy and difficult at the same time. When i was in School/University(some of you were not even born back then) in India, we had to%2

Okay something weird happened to my post :/

I said that that was hectic and a lot of us don't realise how easy we have it!

I'll respond soon inshaAllah. I think I got stuck marking tests and assignments and stuphph and forgot about this thread.

Sooo a million years later ...

Yeah degress are becoming pretty worthless here too, unless you get one from a red brick uni. Over here phd's have never really been worth a lot, unless your going to go into academia. It's considered overkill. Most employers will ask for a degree, some will ask for a masters but never phd's. In fact I have a friend who doesn't put his phd on his CV because it will actually hinder him from getting a job.

Wow! We get thrown straight in to the deep end, if you fail that's it, pack up and go home. Like I said earlier, even if you get a 2:1 you'll be kicked out of some courses. At phd level its a little more relaxed, depending on which college of the university your in. Once you've gotten through all that at the uni, you've basically proven your worth at phd level and the uni pretty much leaves you to it.

I seriously can't believe that you can get summa cum laudes with just 60%, that's outrageous! I'm really sorry to hear about your predicament, that really sucks, inshaAllah you'll get a really good grade. Which uni is it, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't really see the point to a PhD myself. I only decided to do it because I had a feeling that my supervisor was going to leave the uni soon and I wanted her to supervise me when I eventually did come back for a PhD. For an anthropologist a masters is enough. It means you can design and conduct research on your own. PhD is really just for academia and I was unsure which direction I wanted to go in. I will probably also not put my phd on my CV :ph34r: because it is over kill.

yeah, its really difficult to get excluded from my uni. I saw a student who is going to be doing honours with us this year and she failed our courses in undergrad SO many times but now she's going to be an honours student. This uni fails its students on so many levels.

No no, the student received a 60% for their hons year and somehow jumped up to 75% in masters. The supervisor is useless and she supervised that student in the hons year so its not a matter of getting a new and better supervisor (we know this because she cheats her way out of teaching and students who have been supervised by her have always complained abt how she does nothing for them) and the student is average at best. Only her students manage to make such huge jumps from hons to masters. But because of who they gave the dissertation to to mark, the mark ended up being 75%. Some of these lecturers get their friends or people who owe them favours to do the marking and then get the marks inflated.

I go to the University of KwaZulu Natal lol used to be the University of Natal but it merged with another institute into one huge institute and now its become crap.

Anyhoo, I have a full load this semester. I'm teaching 4 weeks of 3rd year and 1st year each. The notes are already made up for that and I'm not the coordinator so I don't have control over what happens there.

I am teaching the 2nd year module though and I am really excited about this one because it is my favourite course from all the undergrad courses on offer. Its the medical anthro module on culture health and illness. My supervisor used to teach this and since she left I'm the only one who has enough knowledge of the course to teach it since its my field. So I'm really psyched about it.

What I plan on doing this year is one essay test, one MCQ and one essay submission. The exam will be an MCQ and essays. Class and exam weighting are 50-50 so they have a better chance at passing. I am going to put notes online but not complete notes, more like a skeletal structure so they still have to come to class and take detailed notes and listen. Its a smaller class so I'll be able to make it more interactive and its also a really interesting course because we learn about how disease and illness are perceived in different cultures.

So, Research Methods course is actually down to 4 weeks because we have so many public holidays. I am going to bring this up at the next strat plan meeting, that this course needs at least a 6 week minimum time frame.

Not sure how the students are taking to it, introduction is quite boring but I have been telling them about my own experiences as well to try and give a more real feel to the lecture notes.

For the tutorials that I have planned, I have them constructing their own interviews (semi-structured) and they will come to class and interview each other. I will also have them doing observation on campus and participation where possible. I have them putting together a journal over the next few weeks where they will put in all the interviews they have constructed (they do schedules for all types so that they can learn difference, they will be creating surveys and questionnaires as well), their informed consent docs, write down their own thoughts, feelings and experiences (in the hopes that they will get a sense of reflection and reflexivity) and ethical considerations. I am not sure how this will work, since it is the first time I am doing it like this but I am hoping that it will make it more interesting and allow for more engagement with the course as opposed to simply reading and spewing out the textbook.

I've read bits n bats of this thread. I'll keep this simple

I expect my lecturer to "foresee" important things that I may not know about, for eg. how to submit an ethical approval.

Mine is kind of more into trying to get a "game plan" and I sort of reply like "I don't have a game plan."

That to me isn't important, what is important is getting to the point about what needs to be done & checking.

He could've saved me from waiting had he been checking whether my form was sent. Now I have to tell him that this is what I assumed would happen, as it's my first time doing this and his 10th or whatever.

I've read bits n bats of this thread. I'll keep this simple

I expect my lecturer to "foresee" important things that I may not know about, for eg. how to submit an ethical approval.

Mine is kind of more into trying to get a "game plan" and I sort of reply like "I don't have a game plan."

That to me isn't important, what is important is getting to the point about what needs to be done & checking.

He could've saved me from waiting had he been checking whether my form was sent. Now I have to tell him that this is what I assumed would happen, as it's my first time doing this and his 10th or whatever.

Are you talking about a supervisor/ advisor?

That role is definitely different to lecturing, in my experience from being on the student end and being one the other side of academia as a lecturer and supervisor. Wouldn't you say that having a 'game plan' would be similar if not the same as making a list of things that need to be done and checking them off?

Are you talking about a supervisor/ advisor?

That role is definitely different to lecturing, in my experience from being on the student end and being one the other side of academia as a lecturer and supervisor. Wouldn't you say that having a 'game plan' would be similar if not the same as making a list of things that need to be done and checking them off?

Actually in our Unis they do both. They lecture and supervise while doing research + marking.

That prioritising and things happen that we don't really see coming so it's making sure it's a smooth journey more than anything.

An academic does both, but the roles are different. Hence you have the role of a lecturer and a supervisor. You cannot supervise the way you lecture and vice versa.

If you think research is a smooth journey, you need to take those rose tinted glasses off. Your supervisor can only advise you and guide you but they can't make everything easy for you.

An academic does both, but the roles are different. Hence you have the role of a lecturer and a supervisor. You cannot supervise the way you lecture and vice versa.

If you think research is a smooth journey, you need to take those rose tinted glasses off. Your supervisor can only advise you and guide you but they can't make everything easy for you.

True. They try to encourage me to take mitigating circumstances because of the situation my father was in. I didn't take that at all, and yet he kept sending emails instead of help, it was take time off so really he was trying to make it easier for me. But I refused to take that.

I can assure you that I am not seeing the world in rose tinted glasses, lol. Nor do I take the easy route.

The point is that the supervisor can't make it a 'smooth journey' regardless of what the circumstances are, that is not their job. Research and a research degree, is not easy nor is it smooth. They can help and assist, and a great supervisor will help you by pointing out problems that need to be addressed and assisting with personal issues (if you have that kind of relationship), but, as you said in your earlier post "so it's making sure it's a smooth journey more than anything." that, they cannot do.