Maniac Muslim Forums
cubster

What do you want out of a lecture/lecturer?

Also, supervision is not the point or focus of this thread.

You can create a thread about that if you want.

The point is that the supervisor can't make it a 'smooth journey' regardless of what the circumstances are, that is not their job. Research and a research degree, is not easy nor is it smooth. They can help and assist, and a great supervisor will help you by pointing out problems that need to be addressed and assisting with personal issues (if you have that kind of relationship), but, as you said in your earlier post "so it's making sure it's a smooth journey more than anything." that, they cannot do.

Smooth journey is not up to the lecturer and they are both the same here. Not sure what your lecturers are over there.

What I mean by smooth journey is what my lecturer does, he helps people with their "game plan." But that doesn't mean that it will be smooth, it never is. That's what I'm saying that I can't have a game plan because it's not going to be "easy."

That's my point. I have my own threads elsewhere than MM.

Actually in our Unis they do both. They lecture and supervise while doing research + marking.

That prioritising and things happen that we don't really see coming so it's making sure it's a smooth journey more than anything.

Smooth journey is not up to the lecturer and they are both the same here. Not sure what your lecturers are over there.

What I mean by smooth journey is what my lecturer does, he helps people with their "game plan." But that doesn't mean that it will be smooth, it never is. That's what I'm saying that I can't have a game plan because it's not going to be "easy."

That's my point. I have my own threads elsewhere than MM.

That is your earlier post. Perhaps you need to write in a way that explains what you mean, because what you are saying now comes across very differently to what you said earlier.

And again, just one more time, an academic occupies the role of both the lecturer and supervisor, but these are not the same thing. The same person performs those two roles, but again, not the same thing. If a person is supervising like they would lecture, then they are most likely not doing it right.

Also, why can't you have a game plan? That is what your research proposal is. If you have some sort of idea of what you are going to look at and how you are going to go about doing it, then you can also look for possible problems. So smooth or not, you can still prepare for certain things and this also helps you when something unexpected comes up. If your problems are of a personal nature you can also factor that into the research and how it will affect it. Having a plan of action for your research is important else how do you even begin it.

But anyways, this is going absolutely nowhere for obvious reasons. So I end my procrastination side track here.

My friend just told me that my lecturer who is also my supervisor and the head of the course, made him write his own reference!

It's the first time I've heard of anyone doing that, so my friend just wrote him his own reference and my lecturer will check it.

That's so weird I'm laughing. 

2 hours ago, Jiyabreeze2 said:

My friend just told me that my lecturer who is also my supervisor and the head of the course, made him write his own reference!

It's the first time I've heard of anyone doing that, so my friend just wrote him his own reference and my lecturer will check it.

Pretty standard practice it lets the person in reference who is more likely to know more about the position they've applied for to put in qualities and perceptions of themselves that are most desirable for the role. 

49 minutes ago, Mo- said:

Pretty standard practice it lets the person in reference who is more likely to know more about the position they've applied for to put in qualities and perceptions of themselves that are most desirable for the role. 

Isn't that for a personal statement or in a cover letter? If it was something that we could write ourselves then there would be no need for it. All in my days of having tutors, they've never once asked me to write my own reference, even if they haven't seen me for over 5 years.

4 hours ago, Jiyabreeze2 said:

Isn't that for a personal statement or in a cover letter? If it was something that we could write ourselves then there would be no need for it. All in my days of having tutors, they've never once asked me to write my own reference, even if they haven't seen me for over 5 years.

Yeah but a reference legitimises what you say. 

10 minutes ago, Mo- said:

Yeah but a reference legitimises what you say. 

lol, it's still strange! how many lecturers or teachers have told you to write your own reference vs them giving their own?

22 hours ago, Jiyabreeze2 said:

This is pretty much the norm. I had to do it for two lecturers who I asked to ref me for my current position. They both know me really well but I think one reason is that they don't have enough time to sit and plan out and write a reference. If you want to give someone a good reference it's not a 5-minute thing. I've been doing them for a few students and they can be time-consuming if you know the student and think that they are eligible for the post or whatever it is they are applying for.

I don't agree with it though.

So I had evaluations done for some of the courses I taught and one part of the answers were funny. There were a couple of students who wrote that I need to encourage class participation and ask them questions. The irony is that I did this in every single lecture, and not just asking if they understood what I was saying but asking them questions on the subject that we were discussing and asking thoughts and opinions on the topics and having conversations rather than a one-way flow of information. I had said to them from the outset that I encourage class participation and with one section in particular it was quite student driven as we were talking about traditional practices amongst the Nguni peoples (most of the class falls under this grouping). I assume that the people who wrote this (it was only about 2 or 3 from an evaluation of about 180) were either asleep in class or did not attend and didn't even know who they were writing an evaluation for.

I have to say though, it was really nice to lecture students who actually try and do the work. The 2nd year course that I ran, I worked predominantly without lecture slides and notes and ran it more as seminar discussions. I would tell students what to read and then we would discuss the articles and wider social and political debates and it was quite a lot of fun. Not a single student even complained that there were no notes. It was really refreshing.

11 hours ago, cubster said:

So I had evaluations done for some of the courses I taught and one part of the answers were funny. There were a couple of students who wrote that I need to encourage class participation and ask them questions. The irony is that I did this in every single lecture, and not just asking if they understood what I was saying but asking them questions on the subject that we were discussing and asking thoughts and opinions on the topics and having conversations rather than a one-way flow of information. I had said to them from the outset that I encourage class participation and with one section in particular it was quite student driven as we were talking about traditional practices amongst the Nguni peoples (most of the class falls under this grouping). I assume that the people who wrote this (it was only about 2 or 3 from an evaluation of about 180) were either asleep in class or did not attend and didn't even know who they were writing an evaluation for.

I have to say though, it was really nice to lecture students who actually try and do the work. The 2nd year course that I ran, I worked predominantly without lecture slides and notes and ran it more as seminar discussions. I would tell students what to read and then we would discuss the articles and wider social and political debates and it was quite a lot of fun. Not a single student even complained that there were no notes. It was really refreshing.

well yes but you live carefree and living the uni life so its not nine to five and carefree and uni life so poo lololol

1 hour ago, Haku said:

well yes but you live carefree and living the uni life so its not nine to five and carefree and uni life so poo lololol

Troll Czar where art thou?