Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mo-

Transgender people in sports

With an increasingly more liberal stance on transgendered people in a lot of the world, do you guys think it is fair for them to perform in sports for the opposite gender? People who used to be men in women's strength competitions and people who used to be women being horse jockeys in male competitions?

There are cases like this:

"Iranian women footballers to undergo gender tests"

And also the case of Renee Richards who as Richard Raskind never went beyond the second round of professional tennis tournaments as a 19-26 year old (often part of a tennis players prime), but as Renee Richards was a Grand Slam finalist at age 43 (most players retire in their late 30s).

What do you guys think? Will we see a boxer conquer 7 weight classes in both male and female boxing?

Personally I don't think transgendered people should be allowed to compete in professional sports as they obviously have an unfair advantage, however the IOC and NAAC both disagree with me, given certain conditions are met. If transgendered people are allowed to compete, then in principle shouldn't gender boundaries in sports be demolished?

First of all, it's not just a competitive advantage. It might also be a competitive disadvantage, if what you're saying is true (i.e. female --> male). However, there are certain requirements for playing in sports as a transgender person. Like to be in the Olympics, I've heard you need several years of hormone therapy. So it's not just changing your sexual organ but also your body's chemicals. Also, rather than just making generalized claims that could- if untrue- merely be discriminatory, why not provide some evidence? Are transgender people leading in women's sports? (in places where guidelines of hormone treatment are in place and all)

First of all, it's not just a competitive advantage. It might also be a competitive disadvantage, if what you're saying is true (i.e. female --> male). However, there are certain requirements for playing in sports as a transgender person. Like to be in the Olympics, I've heard you need several years of hormone therapy. So it's not just changing your sexual organ but also your body's chemicals. Also, rather than just making generalized claims that could- if untrue- merely be discriminatory, why not provide some evidence? Are transgender people leading in women's sports? (in places where guidelines of hormone treatment are in place and all)

It isn't a disadvantage, as if someone was a female becoming a male in a sport that required significant male traits they would probably never reach the professional level.

for the Olympics its only two years. For women's tennis in the States it was ruled that they can't discriminate transgendered people in the case of Renee Richards.

I didn't make any claims I asked for discussion and thoughts on the matter. In the case of the Iranian women's football team (Iran currently carries out more sex change operations than any other country in the world except for Thailand, as it is allowed by fatwas from both Iran's Supreme Ayatollah's to date), 4 players were investigated by FIFA due to the fact they were still in the process of sexual reassignment. Isn't the core argument for transgenderism that a person is actually of the other gender? If this is the case then should transwomen and transmen not be accepted by sports authorities as belonging to their respective transgender for competitive reasons?

The only case I know of a transgender leading in a sport is Renee Richards, but I am no expert. AFAIK with regards to gender verification, the athletes being tested gender isn't disclosed to the public for privacy reasons.

What do you guys think? Will we see a boxer conquer 7 weight classes in both male and female boxing?

Are you saying Takamaru is transgender!?

So I looked into it and apparently they have stopped the testing process due to them being unreliable... But still, there must be some process in place. I just don't know what it is.

The issue about unfair advantage is present though, and it's an ongoing issue. However, when the lines between male and female is naturally blurred, who's to say what the athlete is. In a way, all the elite athletes are freaks (and I mean it in a nice way). We just don't care about advantages due to other abnormalities, such as some marathon runner born with larger heart or something.

Are you saying Takamaru is transgender!?

So I looked into it and apparently they have stopped the testing process due to them being unreliable... But still, there must be some process in place. I just don't know what it is.

The issue about unfair advantage is present though, and it's an ongoing issue. However, when the lines between male and female is naturally blurred, who's to say what the athlete is. In a way, all the elite athletes are freaks (and I mean it in a nice way). We just don't care about advantages due to other abnormalities, such as some marathon runner born with larger heart or something.

Haha wow you're an Ippo fan too!

He's just copying Sugar Ray Robinson.

With regards to the test process, aren't they just checking the chromosomes that define gender? Seeing if someone is XX or XY?

With regards to gender being blurred, their are some people who's chromosomes don't fit into the binary male-female status quo (IIRC they have XXY), but typically they have more tendencies towards one or the other gender. But what I am referring to generally is someone who is biologically a male, i.e. XY, having their physical appearance modified so they have the traits of an XX, or declaring themselves as an XX and participating in XX sports without a requirement to be checked (such as the case of Renee Richards).