Maniac Muslim Forums
lady_murasaki_sa

Take a word, leave a word

Solipsistic (adj) from the noun solipsism, the philosophical idea that only one's own mind and existence is verifiable. From the Latin solus: alone and ipse: self.

Example: The perception of reality is ultimately an incommunicable, solipsistic endeavour.

Solipsistic. A good word.

“Alexithymia”

— (n.) The inability to verbalize your emotions or lack of emotional response. Difficulty in experiencing, expressing, and describing emotion. A failure to express feelings either verbally or non-verbally, especially when talking about issues that would normally require an emotional response. Poor modulation of feelings, significantly reduced intensity in emotional expression.

Fan-bloody-tastic thread!

My favourite word of late:

obsequious:

Obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree:
‘they were served by obsequious waiters

Origin: Late 15th century (not depreciatory in sense in early use): from Latin obsequiosus, from obsequium 'compliance', from obsequi 'follow, comply with'.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/obsequious

Inchoate (adj):

Just begun and so not fully formed or developed; rudimentary

eg. A still inchoate democracy

or

While I have started making notes for my anatomy revision, they are still fairly inchoate as I have about several hundred more pages to write

Portmanteau (noun): 1: a large suitcase

2: a word or morpheme whose form and meaning are derived from a blending of two or more distinct forms (as smog from smoke and fog)

Sentence: 1: Each officer was allowed to carry a carpet-bag or small portmanteau.

2: Portmanteau film projects tend to be traps for second-rate work, but this collection is an exception to the dismal rule.