Maniac Muslim Forums
Venomystic

MacBook/iPad/tablet?

I have a laptop, but I need to buy something smaller and more portable...I was thinking of buying an iPad/tablet (is there any difference between the two?) but I also need to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc and I don't think these software can be installed on a tablet, can they? So my friend suggested I should get a MacBook. But can I get all the MS applications on a MacBook? Doesn't it have something else called iWork? :unsure: I am really confused. If you guys can explain all this to me in simple terms and suggest what I should buy, I would really appreciate it! :)

^I don't know about that. I'd like to know what you guys think of the things you have personally used :)

You can get MS Office onto a MacBook. But tbh the iPad is just overpriced and not worth it. You can get a cheaper tablet that will do the same thing, in some cases more. What do you want it for?

Did I read correctly, the Surface Pro 3 is $799??? :fear:

yes, MS is digging it's grave.

I have a laptop, but I need to buy something smaller and more portable...I was thinking of buying an iPad/tablet (is there any difference between the two?) but I also need to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc and I don't think these software can be installed on a tablet, can they? So my friend suggested I should get a MacBook. But can I get all the MS applications on a MacBook? Doesn't it have something else called iWork? :unsure: I am really confused. If you guys can explain all this to me in simple terms and suggest what I should buy, I would really appreciate it! :)

A MacBook is a laptop, so it isn't necessarily smaller or more portable than your current laptop. You can buy Office for Mac which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint. You might consider the MacBook Air which is a light, thin laptop. An iPad is one brand of tablet. There are others, such as the Surface if you like Microsoft.

If you get an Android tablet, there is a Microsoft Office app. I don't know anything about the iPad but it must have similar apps. Surface is a Microsoft product so it'll obviously have the apps you want and they'll probably work better on there than on an iPad or Android.

You can get MS Office onto a MacBook. But tbh the iPad is just overpriced and not worth it. You can get a cheaper tablet that will do the same thing, in some cases more. What do you want it for?

I need it for university....I'll be writing a thesis and I'll be in my lab and on my feet for most of the day, so I don't want to have to carry around anything that's heavy...carrying a laptop for a long time (even 1 hour) gives me pain in my shoulder :(

I need it for university....I'll be writing a thesis and I'll be in my lab and on my feet for most of the day, so I don't want to have to carry around anything that's heavy...carrying a laptop for a long time (even 1 hour) gives me pain in my shoulder :(

Do you really want to type your thesis on a tablet? The Macbook Air and 13 inch MacBook Pro are not too heavy. The 15 gets annoying to carry all day.

Do you really want to type your thesis on a tablet? The Macbook Air and 13 inch MacBook Pro are not too heavy. The 15 gets annoying to carry all day.

I don't know what I want, that's why I made this thread :P And yeah I do have doubts about the tablet coz I don't think it has a program that can help me write documents, like MS Word. But if I take the MacBook Air, is it really lighter than the conventional laptop? (I currently have Dell.)

compare the weight of the laptop you have now with the specs of the macbook air then you'll know.

I wouldn't recommend typing a dissertation on a tablet, unless its for small things, like making notes and stuphph. But full on dissertation stuphph should take place on a laptop or PC. Just from an ergonomics point of view. You don't wanna be hunched over a little tablet all the time, its better to be hunched over a PC.

I want to buy the samsung galaxy tab 3 10.1

Any good? Or is there something better around the same price?