Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cherry*tomato

Wimbledon 2014

tumblr_n8awo2fS8X1qlsl2to1_1280.jpg

In the context of time, this becomes painful to witness.

People tend to forget that Federer is 32 years old. His time is running out, but here he is still in the top 3 of the world, still getting to finals, still being able to push those who came up past his time to their utmost limits, no matter who it is. After two years of injuries and early exits, and people questioning his place in the current landscape as an aging great, there he is. Those break-backs against a prime Djokovic, his unbelievable comeback in the 4th set despite being just two points from losing, nobody could anticipate that he can still do that. Being at this level is unheard of for people his age in tennis. As much as we say, "He's won so many, it's time for others", let's not overlook Federer while he's still on that court. Soon, something special will disappear.

That said, a well-deserved win for Djokovic. He is on top of his game.

You're right, it's just difficult to give a crap because he's such an arrogant so and so.

I think with Fed it tends to be a mixture because he can be very humble and self-deprecating. When he lost today, he said, "I'm surprised I even made it to 5 [sets]" and went on to talk about how Djokovic brought his A-game. He's a highly competitive sportsman who isn't fakely diplomatic like a lot of players. With Federer you get all three sides: confidence, arrogance, and humility, and he can play the hero or the villain. Muhammad Ali had this and it made him very human. To be the greatest you have to have some degree of self worth to carry you through and be a force on all sides. I think people tend to mistake Fed's competitive baiting for something deep and personal when it really isn't. He psyches people out and they fall for it. It's a part of the game, and he backs up what he says with his talent and achievements.

If Fed did this with nothing to back it up then that would bother me, but he barks and bites. Most of all, he's honest with what he thinks about people and doesn't care about what they think of him. Even if he's wrong, being difficult, and is flawed with how he might handle something, he speaks his mind. If we didn't have a bit of friction and everyone was pretending to like everyone else, this wouldn't feel like much of a competition. Sometimes you need a bit of that, and Fed brings it to spice things up.

Maybe, still don't like the bloke. I'm happy he didn't win. It doesn't matter how old he is, it's more about talent and sportsmanship.