Maniac Muslim Forums
Spider

Psychiatry Exposed

These days, many people in America who have mental health issues go to psychiatrists to complain about their problems. But after they go there, every little problem they have gets labelled and turned into a mental disorder. And then people start to panic about it more, which worsens their conditions. Even someone who has experienced a moderate level of stress and/or depression may get written off as having an "illness" in his brain that needs to be treated with psychotropic drugging.

Psychiatrists oftentimes tell their patients something along the lines of "What you have is basically a chemical imbalance in your brain that's causing you to feel the way you feel. But the good news is that there is a pill that can fix that, and you should take it," without conducting any kind of lab or physical tests on the patients to prove that there really is a "chemical imbalance" in the brain. Therefore it is not unreasonable to conclude that modern psychiatry, shamefully, lacks scientific validity. And this is something that even psychiatrists admitted.

“Despite more than two hundred years of intensive research, no commonly diagnosed psychiatric disorders have proven to be either genetic or biological in origin, including schizophrenia, major depression, manic-depressive disorder, the various anxiety disorders, and childhood disorders such as attention-deficit hyperactivity. At present there are no known biochemical imbalances in the brain of typical psychiatric patients - until they are given psychiatric drugs.” - Peter Breggin, Psychiatrist

Even more laughable is the fact that many of the antidepressants doesn't actually make you better. Instead they simply numb down your attention and your emotions and oftentimes will lead to extremely dangerous side effects, including suicidal thoughts. So the question is (and it's rhetorical), why should any person who has a sound reasoning capacity, and is aware of these facts, ever take such a risk in an attempt to cure himself?

The ghastly evidence:

It doesn't require much investigation to realize that the whole psychiatry industry today is rather a nicely packaged fraud, a deception, making people think that taking these drugs will "help" them, even though it actually hurts them more. They've been able to convince just enough people to take drugs like this, with duplicitous commercials and selective suppression of facts, which as a result of they're amassing billions of dollars every year. And that's pretty much the number one motivation behind selling these psychiatric drugs - i.e. money. It doesn't matter if the drugs are dangerous to health as long as people are gullible enough and the Pharma-funded psychiatry industry is chiseling out pots of money out of them.

The Corrupt Alliance of the Psychiatric-Pharmaceutical Industry

The Psychiatrist Whistleblower Big Pharma Can’t Shut Up

I must add the following point also. I don't deny that there are good psychiatric programs out there that are indeed helpful to some extent (the ones which take a more humanistic approach, such as talk therapy and counseling). But, on a larger scale, psychiatry seems be more destructive than helpful, especially when drugs are involved. And, unfortunately, with the rise of pharmaceutical and insurance industries, the practice of psychiatry has considerably shifted from talk therapy to drug therapy.

Here are two documentaries that provide more exposure of some of the slimy, double-dealing tactics of psychiatry and how it has pulled people into its tangled web of lies while acting under the guise of being the most ardent savior of mental health:

Making a Killing: The Untold Story of Psychotropic Drugging

The DSM: Psychiatry's Deadliest Scam

After learning about the ironically damaging effects of modern psychiatry, I started to appreciate the beauty and wisdom of a certain verse in the Quran, in which Yaqub, the father of Prophet Yusuf (peace be upon him) said, “I only complain of my suffering and my grief to Allah, and I know from Allah that which you do not know.” (Surah 12:86). This implies that complaining to Allah about our grief and suffering is what will give us the greatest amount of satisfaction.

Apparently, many people do the opposite by going to sources other than Allah in order to ease their psychological pains, i.e. for their anxiety, depression, trauma, and so on. They think that having talks with a psychiatrist and popping pills are the best known remedies for the healing of troubled psyches. But as I've shown here, studies have convincingly demonstrated that this kind of thinking is flawed, and a rather ignorant one at that.

No problemo.

But do let me know which comments you disagree with and why.

spider: are you claiming

- psychiatry in general is bogus/not helpful or

- the prevalence of prescribing antidepressants is bogus?

spider: are you claiming

- psychiatry in general is bogus/not helpful or

- the prevalence of prescribing antidepressants is bogus?

Both, pretty much.

I'm claiming that the practice of psychiatry these days hasn't actually made people mentally better off, nor has the prescribing of psychiatric drugs. On the contrary, studies have shown that psychiatry and psychiatric medications have done more harm than good.

And this:

I don't deny that there are good psychiatric programs out there that are indeed helpful to some extent (the ones which take a more humanistic approach, such as talk therapy and counseling). But, on a larger scale, psychiatry seems be more destructive than helpful, especially when drugs are involved.

So what about all the links and studies that I posted above? You think that those were all made up or something? If you think so, then prove it. Plus, as I expected, you didn't even refute a single thing in the OP yet.

You simply ignored everything that I wrote and then suggest that I need psychiatric help - lol.

Spidey - I haven't read the link you've posted, don't think I'll have the time to tbh. What do you think is a better alternative than drugs etc for people with mental health problems?

Spidey - I haven't read the link you've posted, don't think I'll have the time to tbh. What do you think is a better alternative than drugs etc for people with mental health problems?

I think the better alternative is to do some research before you take the drugs, especially when it comes treating mental illnesses because there's a good chance that are that taking the pills will mess you up even more. Just be very cautious, and don't put too much trust in people like doctors and psychiatrists. I'm not saying don't take drugs at all, but if you do, then at least be well-informed about the possible side effects that it may have on you. That way you'll be able to make better decisions.

Also, try to take advice from the Quran because that is the greatest medicine for our hearts and minds, no matter how many problems we have. Drugs are going to be nowhere near as effective as that.

Health in Islam: Quran is a Healing

No problemo.

But do let me know which comments you disagree with and why.

I will. This thread is actually fortuitous as it's a subject- psychiatry/ psychology and its relationship with Islam, that has intrigued me. Any constraints on reference?

No, no restraints. Use any reference you want.

Da internet is yors. :P

So what about all the links and studies that I posted above? You think that those were all made up or something? If you think so, then prove it. Plus, as I expected, you didn't even refute a single thing in the OP yet.

You simply ignored everything that I wrote and then suggest that I need psychiatric help - lol.

patience grasshopper. or rather, spider. All in good time.

Anyways as with other conspiracy theories, what you have done is to select sources which agrees with your view, and ignore sources which disagrees with your view. Instead of trying to refute the sources you give, I'll simply post some examples where psychiatric drugs and methods helped people in a profound way.

For the record I do think there is over prescribing of psychiatric drugs going on, and that can have a negative side effects. But I wouldn't disregard entire practice of psychiatry.

Anyways as with other conspiracy theories, what you have done is to select sources which agrees with your view, and ignore sources which disagrees with your view.

Then you can just enlighten me with the sources that I ignored.

Instead of trying to refute the sources you give, I'll simply post some examples where psychiatric drugs and methods helped people in a profound way.

And then I'm going to see how scientifically backed up they are. And I'll see whether or not the profound benefits outweigh the risk of ... suicide.

Good luck with that.

I agree that people Le ate over diagnosed and over drugged and that a lot of drugs cause horrible side effects but I don't think the whole field is bull♥♥♥♥. Tell that to someone who has paranoid schizophrenia or other serious mental health issues.

I don't think the Quran can cure that.