Maniac Muslim Forums
Spider

Psychiatry Exposed

Then you can just enlighten me with the sources that I ignored.

And then I'm going to see how scientifically backed up they are. And I'll see whether or not the profound benefits outweigh the risk of ... suicide.

Good luck with that.

I don't think I can enlighten you because your mind is already made up.

Or we could ask a medical doctor. People who are actually qualified on the matter.

I hate to say this (actually I love it), but medical doctors are worst group for asking about science behind medicine.

Or we could ask a medical doctor. People who are actually qualified on the matter.

But you might not get sound advice if the doctor happens to be a drug pusher. That's why it's better to do research for yourself.

Just because a doctor said that a drug is good for you doesn't mean that it is actually good for you.

I don't think I can enlighten you because your mind is already made up.

Not really. I don't think I would resist changing my perception if you could actually provide some strong and credible sources which disprove the claims in my OP.

Plus, I think you're just trying to evade now by saying that. But I already thought so.

I think the better alternative is to do some research before you take the drugs, especially when it comes treating mental illnesses because there's a good chance that are that taking the pills will mess up you even more. Just be very cautious, and don't put too much trust in people like doctors and psychiatrists. I'm not saying don't take drugs at all, but if you do, then at least be well-informed about the possible side effects that it may have on you. That way you'll be able to make better decisions.

I agree about keeping informed. But with the bolded, this is not always possible. Nobody can simply read and then go, "X drug will work better and more safely than what I'm currently taking" because the difference in people's responses to a certain drug is complicated on a biological level. What you might be reading isn't always going to apply, or apply in the same way that it might for someone else. There's also the factor of the mindsets of depressed people. When someone is depressed and suicidal, the cons of what they're being shown as the solution tends to get overshadowed by the fact that they want to feel normal or better if possible. So telling people who cannot help themselves, and who are desperate for help because their life hangs in the balance to not trust the advice they're given is easier said than done.

^ That's a good point. It's easier said than done, but again there's no apparent harm either in letting people know the potential hazards of the various psychiatric drugs that are out there. And yeah, people respond to medications differently.

There’s a group of people for whom antidepressants in general work awfully well, but there’s also a group for whom they don’t work well and they can become either violent or suicidal. The problem again comes back to the role of the doctor. If doctors can’t see that drugs may be good and may be bad, that they can be useful and problematic — if they aren’t experts and can’t handle a bit of complexity — they’re going to go out of business.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/28/mind-reading-psychiatrist-dr-david-healy-defines-pharmageddon/

And if suicide is one of the common side effects of antidepressants, then that's a serious matter, without a doubt.

I don't see any benefits that counter such a dangerous risk.

I agree that people Le ate over diagnosed and over drugged and that a lot of drugs cause horrible side effects but I don't think the whole field is bull♥♥♥♥. Tell that to someone who has paranoid schizophrenia or other serious mental health issues.

I don't think the Quran can cure that.

Well, for those kind of severe mental problems, getting treated with medications may not necessarily be a bad decision. But again, you have to be very careful about it. Psychiatric drugs have been proven to cause extremely unhealthy side affects, time after time, which left patients worse than they were before. So the issue is much more complicated than "the doctor told me to take the drug and therefore I'm gonna do it!" It's not that simple ... mental illnesses are very difficult to diagnose let alone treat effectively.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/health/a-dry-pipeline-for-psychiatric-drugs.html?_r=1&

I don't think its as clean cut at psychiatry being bull♥♥♥♥ or no. I think there are definitely instances when it is all about medicating and getting patients hooked on pills and not actually treating the problem and just making money of the patient but I also know that there are cases where psychiatry can be used properly and to the benefit of the patient. I know of cases, personally, where the person has been medicated for decades by their psychiatrist but have had no improvement mentally and rather have been getting worse but they are now hooked on the prescription drugs to the point that one person was behaving like a full on addict and when her family cut off her supply she found other ways to get her fixes. I also know of people who have successfully used psychiatrists but have also made informed decisions about their situations and were always in control and so they have improved from whatever problems they have encountered. What also helped was that they balanced the pills with therapy and got more a holistic treatment rather than reliance on medication.

I gotta agree with cubster,its not always black and white ..personally I have been told of irresponsible doctors who have failed to taper their patients off meds properly leading to the side effects mentioned..then I think 1 in 5 people in the uk visit their doctors for mental health,its an epidemic. Docs aren't qualified properly to deal with it, they themselves admit that the field of psychiatry is well not very credible and just don't take mental health patients seriously enough..as a community we should take responsibility too ,look to preventing mental health by having sound knowledge of islam so not automatically blaming the person to be possessed,not putting ridiculous demands based on culture on young adults,understanding drug addiction,not labelling a person as crazy and spreading it like wildfire etc etc..alhamdulilah the muslim youth services are now paving the way with self help services so that a doctor can be an aid and not the only desperate last resort

I agree with both of you (cubster and Olivejar).

Just to clarify myself, I wasn't saying that all drugs are bad, nor that the entire field of psychiatry is bull♥♥♥♥. My criticisms were more about how psychiatry is being practiced in the US specifically. It might be different in other places. But here in America there is too much incentive for psychiatrists to prescribe drugs as compared to counselling people on how to change their habits, their lifestyle, teaching them coping mechanisms, and other practical ways of dealing with their problems. Psychiatry should take a more balanced and holistic treatment rather than having such a heavy reliance on medications.

As I've said already, I don't deny that there are good psychiatrists and good psychiatric programs out there, but on the whole psychiatry is getting more and more overeclipsed by the pharmaceutical industry which as a result is causing psychiatrists to feel more nonchalant in just throwing some pills at their patients. Research on the current system of psychiatry has shown that it has an unrelenting ability to exploit people by selling drugs to them, although it can help them also.

And here is a shocking lecture on the mislabelling and over-diagnosis of mental disorders by Allen J. Frances, the chair of the DSM-5 task force. He talks about how millions of people have been overdiagnosed as a result of the unnecessary medicalization of normal behaviors, and how the DSM has been, and will continue to be, a vital instrument behind such an alarming rate of diagnostic inflation.

Frances is also the author of "Saving Normal: An Insider's Revolt Against Out-of-Control Psychiatric Diagnosis, DSM-5, Big Pharma, and the Medicalization of Ordinary Life."

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Normal-Out-Control-Medicalization/dp/0062229257