Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Muslim Forever

Noah and the Age of the Prophets

Salamualaikum,

This is going to be a long question/rant type of question but I hope I don't inundate you with a big burden (pun intended, you will understand later on).

My question is about the age of the Prophets that came before Muhammad (s.a.w). I was reading about Islam when I came across this:

List Of Prophets Names with Their Ages The Age of Prophet Adam Alaihi Salaam is:

Nine Hundred and thirty (930) years

The Prophet Noah-Nooh Alaihi Salaam is also called Prophet Nuh and his Age is:

Nine-hundred and fifty (950) years

The Age of Prophet Shoaib Alaihi Salaam is:

Eight-hundred and eighty-two (882) years

The Age of Prophet Saleh - Saaleh Alaihi Salaam is:

Five-hundred and eighty-six (586) years

The Age of Prophet Idris - Idrees Alaihi Salaam is:

Three-hundred and fifty-six (356) years

The Age of Prophet Hud Alaihi Salaam is:

Two-hundred and sixy-five (265) years

The Age of Prophet prophet Zakariya Alaihi Salaam is:

Two-hundred and seven (207) years

The Age of Prophet ibrahim Alaihi Salaam is:

One-hundred and ninety-five (195) years

The Prophet Sulaiman-sulaimaan Alaihi Salaam is also called Prophet solomon and his Age is:

One-hundred and fifty (150) years

The Age of Prophet Ayyub - Ayyoob Alaihi Salaam is:

One-hundred and forty-six (146) years

The Age of Prophet Ya'qub - Ya'qoob Alaihi Salaam is:

One-hundred and thirty-nine (139) years

The Prophet Ishmael - Ismaael Alaihi Salaam is also called Prophet Ismail and his Age is:

One-hundred and thirty-seven (137) years

The Prophet Musa - Moosa Alaihi Salaam is also called Prophet Moses and his Age is:

One-hundred and twenty-five (125) years

The Age of Prophet Ya'qub - Ya'qoob Alaihi Salaam is:

One-hundred and thirty-nine (139) years

The Age of Prophet Ishaq - Ishaaq Alaihi Salaam is:

One-hundred and twenty (120) years

The Age of Prophet Harun - Haaroon Alaihi Salaam is:

One-hundred and nineteen (119) years

The Age of Prophet Yusuf Alaihi Salaam is:

One-hundred and ten (110) years

The Age of Prophet Yahya Alaihi Salaam is:

Ninety-five (95) years

The Age of Last Prophet Muhammad Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam is:

Sixty-three (63) years

source: Book of Tareekh al Islam

My question is how reliable are these ages and what's the source of them?

Now I understand that in the Qu'ran, there is mention of Noah's age as 950. I'm willing to believe that Noah by himself lived 950 years but it's hard for me to reconcile that everyone in those days lived that long.

Quran 29:14: Quote:

YUSUFALI: We (once) sent Noah to his people, and he tarried among them a thousand years less fifty: but the Deluge overwhelmed them while they (persisted in) sin.

Now my question is, how do we reconcile this with modern science and the Islam that I believe in if I firmly believe evolution to be true in the way that Yasir Qadhi believes Allah (swt) inserted Adam (a.s) into the earth with the Domino theory? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SFvsYCai1E) I've had no success searching for past answers on reddit. People have told me to take the verses metaphorically or to say that Nuh (a.s) lived for 950 years but not to believe that others lived that long and this was a blessing on Nuh (a.s). I'm fine with the latter, it's just I don't understand how his family comes into play here and if they lived that long.

Please someone help me insh'allah. (If you want, you can pm me for more information.)

P.S. I don't want ahmadiyya conclusions please.

Based on hadith, I believe people back then lived longer, and over time age span (and stature) of humans decreased.

Yeah but how do you reconcile this with the fact that there is little to no archaeological and evolutionary basis for this? I understand the story of Adam(A.S) being 60 cubits tall but as many have referred to me, this could of been while he was still in Jannah and then his stature changed when Allah(swt) put him on the Earth and this was a lesson that those who inherit paradise will grow to be that tall like Adam (a.s).

I asked this same question on Reddit and they told me this: "You could consider this a miracle, of course nothing is inconceivable for God. Note that just Noah lives to be such an age, nowhere does it say that everyone else was capable of doing so. As an important prophet, it would be of importance for them to live a long period.

Some others considered that 950 years does not mean actual years, the famous poet Abul Alaa Ma'arri (a critic of Islam) states in one of his poems that in the ancient era it was a habit of the people to state the year and refer to months. Because of this statement some historians are of the opinion that the period of Nuh's propagation was 80 years and his age could not have been more than 150 years."

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/islam/comments/2cwdjt/question_about_islam_for_you_guys/

I just wanted to have a dialogue about his because I realize that the other ages could all be speculation but Noah's age is mention in the Qu'ran.

Yeah but how do you reconcile this with the fact that there is little to no archaeological and evolutionary basis for this?

that's a problem. there is no conclusive way to resolve the question for now.

however, if you stop thinking about early humans to be homo-sapiens, there may be some way out.

I might of found a way to reconcile this but it's inconclusive right now. I will get back to you on this.

I remember getting this as a fwd txt msg, I was just annoyed about getting another long txt msg..I don't see how any of it could be impossible as said it was necessary for the message to be spread over years, dr bilal Philips mentioned Adam as age in a lecture but never when in to the hows, as for the other prophets iv not heard specific calculations of ages set out like this. Id be interested to know the source

Based on hadith, I believe people back then lived longer, and over time age span (and stature) of humans decreased.

I know it's from mythology, but do you think the Greeks might have been onto something? They did talk about people who were of enormous size, like giants, and how the generations that came before them and the primordial forces were even larger.

I know it's from mythology, but do you think the Greeks might have been onto something? They did talk about people who were of enormous size, like giants, and how the generations that came before them and the primordial forces were even larger.

it's not just the Greeks, but every ancient civilizations have stories about giants roaming in the old time. So much so that, even scientific folks feel the need to explain the widespread concept of giants (by referring to Gigantopithecus and/or Aliens). It would make sense that these civilizations were talking about giants of the past, either through socially retained memory of the past, or through revelations they received.

topicsfromquran.com/2018/04/16/age-of-prophet-noah-a-s/

The above link to post reviews verses of Quran regarding age of Prophet Noah A.S