Maniac Muslim Forums
Venomystic

How to write a CV?

So I need to write a CV in order to apply for a postgraduate program. I didn't even know a CV was required :/ I thought CVs were only required when applying for jobs. And I have no idea how to write a student CV. If anyone here has experience with this, can you please guide me? What should I write, how long should it be, what's the format and what things should I not include? A friend told me she made the mistake of putting her photo on her CV - I always thought it was okay, even recommended, to put your photo?

I think the last post by Catfish Bobby in the job thread is useful. Basically you brag about your accomplishments indirectly. Give examples of times when you've done something awesome. You also have to discuss why you would be an asset to the program. It's kind of like a personal statement.

Having said that, I wrote one of the worst CVs for a job last week. It was rushed and very short, lol. Ah well, better luck next time. <_<

Thank you! And I did try Googling it, but there were so many different ways and tips of writing a CV. I find it more helpful to ask real people who've actually done the task before.

You can delete this thread if it's redundant. I didn't search to see if there were already similar threads :blush:

Edit: But see, these are all CVs for people who are applying for jobs! I'm not applying for a job, I'm applying for admission to a university. And some of those templates have included the photo of the applicant while others haven't. How do I know which one is the right format to follow?

I think the last post by Catfish Bobby in the job thread is useful. Basically you brag about your accomplishments indirectly. Give examples of times when you've done something awesome. You also have to discuss why you would be an asset to the program. It's kind of like a personal statement.

Having said that, I wrote one of the worst CVs for a job last week. It was rushed and very short, lol. Ah well, better luck next time. <_<

Thank you! Which post are you talking about?

Lolololololololooopolololol... Very funny Ray Ray.

Here's a good (short) article I came across on linked in regarding cover letters:

'The traditional cover letter is dead'

In my many years of recruiting I hardly ever read cover letters. Why you ask? Well, most of cover letters are very predictable as they are typically a short-form of the resume, and dont add much value to the information already provided on the resume. While many job seekers spend hours preparing a dedicated cover letter, it is a fact that most of the time it goes unread, and moreover, not even uploaded in to employers database.

My suggestion is to use your cover letter as an opportunity to confirm your qualifications not by using a short bullet lines or generic statements but by giving several samples of your work accomplishments, your work success stories. They will serve as your testimony of having the attributes required by the job you are applying for.

Here is the punch line: each case should project a specific quality about you, without you actually saying it. In other words, instead of saying: Im a great leader, as candidates often state on their traditional cover letters, give a work-case which will position you as a great leader. Or, instead of saying: Im passionate about helping people, give an example where it shows how passionate you are. Provide a short illustration that leads the employer to the desired conclusion. The impression you will create about your candidacy, will be much more powerful, credible and memorable.

The structure of each case should be: situation-problem-solution-consequences. Offer two to three success stories. The personal details header should be the same as on resume. Have an opening introduction and a closing contact-me statements. It should not go beyond two pages, preferable one.

Have the courage to be unique and utilize this cover-letter opportunity to justify being a top candidate by proving why you are and not by saying that you are.

Thank you for taking the time, and if you have any comments/questions, please dont hesitate getting in touch, Elie