Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Summer.Haze

Personal Statement

Hola everyone,

I need tips on writing a personal statement for a grad school application (Masters of Science in Education or Masters of Psych or Masters of Social Work). Now I know the general outline of personal statements is something along the lines of: it includes a personal story (adversity, overcoming it, etc.), it doesn't matter how it begins but it has to end with how you will be an asset to the college. They basically want to know; why should I pick you over the gazillion other applicants?

Nowwwwwwwww with the personal story, I wouldn't want to go as far back as childhood, and I didn't really go through much adversity in my college years, so.....what am I supposed to write about? Also, I have no idea how I'm supposed to 'prove' to them that I'd be an asset to the college, lol. I applied last year to one grad program and got rejected. I think that personal statement was so lame. I spoke about having a somewhat difficult childhood and how my mother inspires me. *facepalm* I mean she does but they're probably like what does that have anything to with anything.

Any help is muchhhhhhh appreciated. :flower:

Don't worry too much about the cliche ideas such as over coming adversities and such. Suppose you are meeting with the department head and going to have a small chat. What would you say to her if you want to convince him to enroll you? That's your personal statement.

Things like your undying desire to learn in the grad school, and your unwavering determination to complete the program may help, but the most important factor in getting you enrolled would be your recommendation letters. Just try to convey you are very determined to complete the program and you have the mental fortitude to go through the program without dropping out. Give few examples. Everyone writes about their childhood and it's getting old.

Ok, thanks. I had a pretty good recommendation from a colleague of mine, but I suppose my lack of experience in the related field played more of a role. So they want someone who is determined to complete the program. Where do I draw examples from? The only things I can think of most recently is getting 90s on two papers I wrote for two different upper level Psych courses. My cumalative GPA in college wasn't so great though. All I can think of saying is that now that I'm older, I'm more serious about my education (and considering I'd be paying a good amount for it :ph34r: ).

^ there is only so much you can do before you actually start writing. Usually PS's take several drafts before its completed (5-6?). And you get more ideas and understand what you need to include and how you need to say it as you write. So start writing, and you probably can answer your own questions best. Other MMers are "probably" better at editing it. Also it would be extremely valuable to get advice of some one who has already graduated from the similar program that you are looking to get into. At least talk to other grad students in similar programs.

I can help if you want! I got into one MSW program and got waitlisted for another!

Not the best record but better than none lol

That's awesome! Thanks, I will send a lame rough draft once I write it up.

I can help if you want! I got into one MSW program and got waitlisted for another!

Not the best record but better than none lol

Oxy can you message me your email address? I have a draft ready. Thanks!