Maniac Muslim Forums
Mo-

Friend zone

Sorry Ive not been posting much guys. Been quite busy with a lot of things in real life. I do lurk most days though. Anyway, WTH made a post that made me think of making this thread.

Do you believe in the friendzone? Does it exist only for men or can women be placed there too? Have you ever been in the friendzone? Can you escape?

Personally I don't think I have been in it since I was 14 when I liked a girl at school and she didn't like me back. And I probably used this phenomenon as an explanation for why my extreme teenage adoration for this girl was being ignored. And I think that the friendzone is a place you put yourself in.

I also believe I have put girls in a similar situation called the "sis-zone" where I call them sis in texts or tell them they are like my sister, intentionally after I find out they have a thing for me. It helps me to maintain a healthy friendship or student relationship with them, and to my experience has helped them get over me. That and not reciprocating their advances.

I have had many friends complain about being in the friendzone, but usually it is them wanting girls who already had men in their lives, who of course in the biased view of said friends are inferior candidates to themselves.

WTH said in her posts it's something douchebags made up, and Mufasa said it was something attributed to lonely quiet fellows. In my experience, the douchebags I know don't believe women and men can be friends, and that any time spent with a woman that isn't into them is a waste of time. So I think my experience is more in line with Mufasas in that regards.

I would love for more of the ladies on MM to put forward their views because amongst my fellow men, most of the time I have found similar views regarding this so called phenomenon on average (I do find extreme cases).

Also from older brothers with more experience in life would be good to hear your views.

It's only a friend zone if you were wanting something more in the first place. You could also call it the bail out zone.

I'll post more after I leave work.

Because they hope that one day they'll be able to dig themselves out of it!

I think digging yourself out of the friend zone is like becoming more attractive to someone after they've downed large amounts of alcohol.

It's a lose/lose scenario trying to dig out of it. Although it provides a good amount of lolz for those watching. A lot of guys, for one reason or another, feel as if they are restricted to the girls they can pursue. So when they find someone that they think might work they go all in. usually that's your early 20s.

But dude, once you're out in the real world, away from home and your normal influences and become your own person you find out the whole world is a playground and you can do whatever the f you want. Standing on your own two feet is the best liberation (for peace of mind, overall health) ever. That's for guys and girls.

Sorry Mo, I wish I could advise but honestly, never been there. I like women. Women like me. I've never pursued though so I don't know what that rejection means... But there isn't anything wrong with being friends, it's even nicer when it turns into something more.

I think digging yourself out of the friend zone is like becoming more attractive to someone after they've downed large amounts of alcohol.

Its been done before though. One I know of is the guy and girl were friends for a long time and she was dating someone and eventually she broke up with the dude and somehow had an eye opener and realised the guy who was one of her closest friends was someone she fancied and they took it from there, got married and have a kid now.

And then you can also end up falling for someone who isn't your type only after you've gotten to know them as a friend and you become attracted to them through the friendship. (If that makes any sense)

I just realized my post sounds very arrogant. I didn't/don't pursue because I'm all that and a bag of chips, I don't because I'm a goofball who remains clueless in the face of potential mates...

I'd say you are a bag of ruffles chips at least. If not delicious Doritos.

I'm not sure what exactly we are discussing here. Does the friend-zone exist? Yes it does, I've used it a few times myself, most girls I know did. I've used it's on guys who try to flirt with me, which I don't appreciate, so I emphasize the word 'brother' when in fact I wanna slap them. But they're usually nice guys, so they take the hint.

Did people friend zone me before? I don't think so. I have 4 to 6 guy friends as it is, why would I ruin a good thing and agonize myself by developing a crush on them? Also, what if it develops into non-Halal stuff? I'd rather crush on dead authors, much more emotionally gratifying B) But I did witness another phenomenon, guy colleagues and acquaintances are super nice when they're single, and dismissive or even down right rude when they're in a relationship. I've even developed a method for discovering a guy's marital status based on 1. Eye contact 2. attentiveness in listening to me 3. whether they say goodbye. It hasn't failed yet. Some guys are such lovely creatures -_-