Maniac Muslim Forums
Hala

Bilal movie

Yeaaah. I have no idea who this actor is, but what a cool name, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. Such a strong name. I would like to be called Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje if I knew how to pronounce the name -_-

I love him!

He's from Islington and went to the same university as me!

I will chill with him at the next alumni gathering and pass on your admiration B)

^He's not quoted the Quran or Hadith once to support his view. This is just his opinion, based on the fact that he lives in a country where there are no cinemas, theatre, or any arts scene of any kind that is not heavily controlled and censored. Was he really going to say anything else? This position is hardly 'official'.

^He's not quoted the Quran or Hadith once to support his view. This is just his opinion, based on the fact that he lives in a country where there are no cinemas, theatre, or any arts scene of any kind that is not heavily controlled and censored. Was he really going to say anything else? This position is hardly 'official'.

dear respected sister in Islam. This Alim has studied Islam for years. Have you studied Islam for years upon years and feel competent to criticize our beloved ulema? I don't want to hurt your feelings but what you have done here is to show arrogance and ignorance. You must have drunk whiskies and gone to shameless cinema with plebs. In fact you must be a pleb your self! ha! PLEB!!

respectfully,

Maybe he derived the ruling using ijma and qiyas? Even if you don't agree with him, don't you agree that making pictures/portraits is not allowed in Islam?

No I don't there are other opinions out there and I take from them. Will search them out later if you like but on my phone atm

I think in this case if we can apply ijma and qiyaas, it is very much the ijmaa of one type of scholar all with similar training and outlook on life. And the alternative? Cartoons are a major source of entertainment for kids (and me...) take away those about our own heritage and history what are you left with? one specific view on life which is being rolled out across the world as 'normal'.

If we can't compete we will lose out.

No I don't there are other opinions out there and I take from them. Will search them out later if you like but on my phone atm

I think in this case if we can apply ijma and qiyaas, it is very much the ijmaa of one type of scholar all with similar training and outlook on life. And the alternative? Cartoons are a major source of entertainment for kids (and me...) take away those about our own heritage and history what are you left with? one specific view on life which is being rolled out across the world as 'normal'.

If we can't compete we will lose out.

There is more than one opinion about drawing pictures/portraits? Please do share.

If that is the case, then why were Muslims so angered over the recent cartoons about our Prophet (peace be upon him)? If they weren't disrespectful cartoons, would Muslims have allowed it? I don't think so.

I'm not talking about cartoons like Duck Tales or Loony Tunes or Tom&Jerry. But cartoons depicting religious figures is wrong, in my opinion.

Edit: The reason I think it's wrong is all the ahadith which prohibit making pictures. For example, the hadith - I'm paraphrasing here- that says that angels do not enter houses with pictures in them, and that whoever makes a picture will have to put life into it on the day of judgement (and of course he will never be able to do it).

Edit 2: I can't find the video now, but I heard Nouman Ali Khan say in one of his recent lectures regarding the movie 'Noah' that it was 'messed up' to depict prophets and for Muslims to watch these movies, because then we get this mental image of that prophet, which is not even accurate. So then every time we think of that prophet, we get this cartoon/movie image which is not really them. As an example, he mentioned 'Prince of Egypt' and how everytime we think of Musa (peace be upon him), we will be imagining him as the Musa shown in that movie. I watched Prince of Egypt when I was a little girl, and I totally agree with NAK. Although I am mature/sensible enough to know that that is not the real Musa (peace be upon him), I do have to fight my subconscious in bringing up that image of him.

Regardless of whether we agree on the permissibility of this issue or not, I just don't think it is a smart move and I will avoid these movies and probably not allow my children to watch them either.

two or three years ago, an Arabic network made a wonderful TV show about Omar Ibn Al-Khattab (RA), and before that there was an Iranian production about the prophet Yusuf (PBUH), it was good too. Al Qardawi was one of the first people to say that it's ok to portray the Sahaba (but not the prophets or the wives of prophet Muhammad PBUH and some sahaba). The show, Omar, was produced after getting several scholars to approve of it, including AlQardawi, Abudllah Bin Bayye. The producers even formed a committee of scholars to review the script to ensure that the portrayal is as accurate as can be. The committee also included big names such as AlQardawi and Salman Al-Odeh. If you look through the Fatwas on Islamweb, a respectable website, regarding whether its Haram or Halal, they'll say it's Haram to portray the sahaba and the prophets. But what's really interesting for me is that the fatwas provided say it's Haram because they're worried that they won't be portrayed accurately, or that there might be harmful mistakes. So yes, there is a divide in opinions.

Also, while I generally understand that most Ulama agree that the depiction of prophet Muhammad is Haram (and I trust their opinions, of course). I still find this article interesting: Reclaiming the prophet Muhammad.

"Unlike in Sunni-Salafi spheres, in which recent responses to the Danish and Charlie Hebdo cartoons have largely comprised a flurry of obdurate injunctions, the response in Iran has been markedly different. Indeed, rather than shying away from or banning images of the Prophet, Iranian leaders, artists and filmmakers have harnessed the creative arts to recover and restore the image of Muhammad in the public domain.

Such images serve as powerful reminders that there is no universally accepted ban on the figural arts in Islam and that traditions of prophetic representation still continue to flourish in Iran today. Above all, they highlight the fact that in Islamic lands there exist two diametrically opposed reactions to defamatory European cartoons: While some actors engage in censorship and suppression, others actively seek the promulgation of the Prophet Muhammad by reasserting the positive power of picture-making."

http://www.newsweek.com/reclaiming-prophet-muhammad-iran-303526

Thank you for sharing that Hala, but I still think that if the Prophet (Peace be upon him) would have approved of picture-making, he would have had his picture made first of all and allowed the sahaba to do it as well, but he did not. Yes, there may be a 'positive power of picture-making', but there is a positive side to everything and that does not make it permissible. For example, we all know that drinking alcohol has its benefits, but it is still not allowed.