Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sal_the_man

Buying one: car or motorcycle

Straight copy and paste from my reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/2z3st7/buying_one_car_or_motorcycle/

Hey guys, name is Sal and I'd like r/motorcycle's opinion on my dilemma with buying only a car or motorcycle

Background: I'm a 21-year old graduating college student and am planning to go for another degree this Fall or in the Spring of 16'. I live in MD and currently commute 100 miles a day on the 270/495 interstate.

I'm also an avid car enthusiast. Used to own a 96 Infiniti I30 and a 91 Toyota MR2. Ownership of both lead me to do a couple Auto-X events and a track day. Not afraid to turn my own wrench as well. Have sold both and currently use the family's 2001 E320 with 201K miles.

Reasons for buying: I want to try different experiences. A motorcycle offers far more performance per dollar than any of the cars I would buy in my 5-6K budget. Not only that, I found myself having more fun on a motorcycle than in a car. I'd definitely look to daily this, but would also track the bike since I live very close to the Summit Point Track in WV.

Reasons not to buy: Well I live in MD, so it's cold, windy, and snowy for half of the year. I can use the family car for when I wouldn't want to ride, but personally I want to use whatever I buy as much as I can. Even in the blizzards, the I30 and MR2 were usable vehicles. MR2 actually did pretty well. There's also the 100 mile commute, but I haven't ridden enough to tell if it's easier or worse than city commuting.

Bikes being considered: Well two friends of mine have been generous to let me ride their Ducati Monster 695 and Suzuki DR650. Only rode them in parking lots or around the neighborhood and hit 40MPH top. But after those stints, I felt that 600CC bikes are too scary for me. I've matured since high school and know that I can easily kill myself with that power. So I'm looking at 250/300CC motorcycles to start out on. Will be test riding one soon to see if I'm comfortable with them.

Thoughts to consider: I'm under my parents insurance but all automobile ventures I've paid by myself. Most of my money has come from well-paying summer internships/jobs, but since I'm graduating I'm looking to hold down a part-time job while pursuing further studies.

Ideally it would be nice to have my own car and a motorcycle at the same time. I know the rents would be fine with having my own car and doing more trackdays. However, with a motorcycle they would always remain uneasy - which is completely understandable.

Borrowing the E320 is ok but I truly enjoyed having a car of my own. Something I persistently worked for and used daily. Riding a motorcycle offers an experience that can't be found in any car I've driven. However, it doesn't seem that it can be cherished everyday due to MD weather and my commute. I anticipate that people in this sub-reddit can provide further insight.

Thanks!

For all practical purposes I'd say a car. You can have both once you become more financially stable. Do well in school, work hard, and you can enjoy the luxury of having both. Less worries in some way. You're only 21 so I'd say you have plenty of time to eventually get a decent bike, no rush.

I'm 26 and haven't even gotten my driver's license yet. Sad times, I know. :P

Can you live on campus? Hard to decide between the two but given the variables you're dealing with (commute, east coast weather, etc) I would go for a car you're comfortable with working on. Motorcycles will always be there but while you're in school I'd get something that will let you carry your stuff and not have to worry about the many "what ifs" while you concentrate on studying/working.

If you lived on campus then I would look into motorcycles but only if you don't have to worry about a daily commute and can get class/work no matter what the weather.

Have you taken a motorcycle safety course? with a budget of 5-6k I would recommend 2k for the bike, 1.5k for gear, and the rest for maintenance, an "oops" fund.

For all practical purposes I'd say a car. You can have both once you become more financially stable. Do well in school, work hard, and you can enjoy the luxury of having both. Less worries in some way. You're only 21 so I'd say you have plenty of time to eventually get a decent bike, no rush.

I'm 26 and haven't even gotten my driver's license yet. Sad times, I know. :P

Don't sweat it Summer, I only got my license at 26 :P There is hope for you still :P

Another idea (and this is my age showing): do you need a car/bike or want at this point? If you can save that 6k and invest it a high risk investment you can play a chance to making a lot of money.

Also, and speaking from experience, once you're on your own two feet you'll need a lot of throw down cash for deposits for rent or a down payment of you decide to buy a house. Do your best to have at least 10k in the bank by the time you graduate and it'll make your transition into the real world a lot smoother.

Save now and profit later. Track days, bikes, cars will always be there I promise. For now, study, get your dream job, and chase women.

Car.

I'm looking to work part-time while I go back for another degree. Doing all the commuting will be tiring on a motorcycle.

You're right. Deals will always exist. Once/if IA I can live a self-sustainable lifestyle then I'm definitely going to get a bike.

In the meantime I am building up my credit. Dig your suggestion of having 10K upon graduating and getting a job

Don't move back home after college. Visit your parents but get your own place. Live it up right now (get your work done of course). Also don't get married until after your 30.

Don't move back home after college. Visit your parents but get your own place. Live it up right now (get your work done of course). Also don't get married until after your 30.

Right. Well I'm shooting for a bachelors in mechanical engineering once I have graduated this may with my biology degree.

Will stay at home until I get a decent paying job, meaning $50,000+ salary so that I can live on my own. Buy cars, bikes, and good food.

Once I get tired of making my own dinner, I'll get married.

Ha just kidding. I'd like a wife after I'm 25.

Obviously all tentative but it's good to set life* goals

good deal. just keep your head on straight (shouldn't be an issue here). marry a girl that's willing to work; don't buy into the "stay at home" argument - complete pitfall.

Loving the words of wisdom being passed on.... you forgot to add, it's better to be married to work (job) than a spouse less headaches etc.

I was just about to post "No one cares" before I saw this thread wasn't created by Shaver........but HOLY MOLY, you travel over 100 miles daily??