Maniac Muslim Forums
kesaber

Refined sugar vs fruit sugar

Is it possible to get too much unhealthy sugar by eating too much fruit? My current stance is that you cannot. When I make such a statement I do not mean it is impossible for any person to ever get too much sugar from fruit. I do mean, however, that your average healthy individual will not be harmed by the sugar in fruit when eating it in excess 98% of the time. Yes, I did just make that percentage up, but there are always outliers and exceptions to the rule. I am also not talking about someone eating 3000 apples a day as that is just unreasonable, but I would assume there would be other complications aside from the sugar at that point.

What are other people's thoughts?

'd say the answer is not straight forward. On one hand, the chemistry in both the food has the same effect. On the other hand, the sugar concentration in fruits are much lower compared to a sweet dish made with sugar. You'll have to eat several feet of sugar cane to match the sugar content in a can of soda. It all comes down to the amount of sugar enters into the body and how fast it enters the body (which is related to glycemic index).

'd say the answer is not straight forward. On one hand, the chemistry in both the food has the same effect. On the other hand, the sugar concentration in fruits are much lower compared to a sweet dish made with sugar. You'll have to eat several feet of sugar cane to match the sugar content in a can of soda. It all comes down to the amount of sugar enters into the body and how fast it enters the body (which is related to glycemic index).

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, when you say it's not straight forward are you saying it's possible that eating hundreds of pieces of fruit a day will not result in your body absorbing too much unhealthy sugar? I'm not sure if you saying it's not straightforward you mean the answer cannot be determined, if it's a case by case basis, or something entirely different.

My next question would be is eating several feet of sugar cane (whatever the number would come out to) be just as unhealthy as drinking a can of soda, only looking at the sugar aspect? If it's easier we can think about a cup of sugar water vs several feet of sugar cane.

Now who on earth is going to eat several feet of sugar cane? You have to be realistic in this. Also, is this going to end up with something becoming haraam?

Now who on earth is going to eat several feet of sugar cane? You have to be realistic in this. Also, is this going to end up with something becoming haraam?

I think your first question was directed towards Haku, but my dad and I used to chew several feet of sugar cane together all the time. We didn't swallow anything, but we chewed on it until we got all the juice out of it and spit it out. It would not be uncommon for us to do 10+ feet at a time. Also when I was in Egypt I would drink sugar cane juice all day; some days I would have what I would guesstimate is about 6 cups of juice just for breakfast. This I assume is more than me chewing the sugar cane itself, but I don't know.

Actually I think it may have been 4 cups....

No, it was directed at you. I grew up eating sugar cane and I've never known anyone to eat that much sugar cane in one day. You're special, you are.

No, it was directed at you. I grew up eating sugar cane and I've never known anyone to eat that much sugar cane in one day. You're special, you are.

I actually know a lot of people that do that. Very common in Egypt. When I was younger I've known a lot of people that did it as well. I don't think that's the point though as we are not just discussing sugar cane, but rather the overeating of fruit and the effect the sugar would have on you. This could happen with one type of fruit or multiple different ones throughout the day

My understanding is that it's actually healthy to eat a lot of fruit

it's one of those things you need to take with a grain of salt.

people often repeat "fruits are healthy", but what does it really mean? there are some vitamins, minerals and fiber in fruits, and those nutrients have its value. But fruits make only a part of balanced diet. In that sense saying "fruits are healthy" is as accurate as saying "fat is healthy". Every nutrient has its place and limit.

As for answering questions regarding sugar, you need to consider two things.

1. How much sugar (in form of fructose or sucrose) does you eat

2. How fast does that sugar is absorbed into blood. This is measured in glycemic index and glycemic load.

1. If some one eats lot of fruits, a lot of sugar will be ingested. It doesn't matter if sugar came from fruits or coca cola, the chemical compounds are the same. Lots of sugar will cause health problems such as obesity.

2. Fruits doesn't get digested too fast. Therefore sugar is absorbed into the blood stream slower compared to eating a refined sugar or drinking coca cola. In this aspect, the sugar from fruits may not do as much harm, or no harm at all. Eating 10 feet of sugar canes takes lot of time compared to drinking a can of coca cola. So although same amount of sugar enters the body, the time may allow the body to cope with the sugar.

it's one of those things you need to take with a grain of salt.

people often repeat "fruits are healthy", but what does it really mean? there are some vitamins, minerals and fiber in fruits, and those nutrients have its value. But fruits make only a part of balanced diet. In that sense saying "fruits are healthy" is as accurate as saying "fat is healthy". Every nutrient has its place and limit.

As for answering questions regarding sugar, you need to consider two things.

1. How much sugar (in form of fructose or sucrose) does you eat

2. How fast does that sugar is absorbed into blood. This is measured in glycemic index and glycemic load.

1. If some one eats lot of fruits, a lot of sugar will be ingested. It doesn't matter if sugar came from fruits or coca cola, the chemical compounds are the same. Lots of sugar will cause health problems such as obesity.

2. Fruits doesn't get digested too fast. Therefore sugar is absorbed into the blood stream slower compared to eating a refined sugar or drinking coca cola. In this aspect, the sugar from fruits may not do as much harm, or no harm at all. Eating 10 feet of sugar canes takes lot of time compared to drinking a can of coca cola. So although same amount of sugar enters the body, the time may allow the body to cope with the sugar.

That's all very fair and answers enough of my questions. Thank you for your time. I had a conversation with someone who told me eating fruit and eating sugar is the same thing so I was curious what you all though. Thanks!

I'm sorry. I can't let this just go. So, in Egypt, it's common for folks to chew ten feet of cane a day. So you and your dad would eat ten feet of cane? ( not eat, just chew, and spit out the fiber bits). So... How did that work? Did you go out and chop a ten foot cane pole, and each of you start at an end and walk around with a slowly diminishing cane pole between you like a protracted spaghetti scene from Disney's ' Lady and the Tramp'? Arm and arm at the end of the day gnawing on the last foot together? Or did each of you walk around with a five foot pole slung over your shoulder like a bagless Scots piper? Maybe they were cut into half foot lengths and you each carried a half pack of batons like an Egyptian Marlboro man with a large sticky fag hanging from your lips?

when I was small, we some times received bundles of sugar canes. Each stick a meter or so long, and an inch or two in diameter. When we receive, we received 10 or so such sticks in a bundle. Then mom would slice out the outer shell, chop up 1 meter sticks into 5 inch sticks, and further split those smaller sticks into even smaller sticks of smaller diameters girth. Then we would feast. Chew chew chew. Let the juices flow, and slurp. But I can't say I ate 10 feet at a time. Maybe 3 feet at a time, I did.