Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hazera

The veiling of the Unveiled. (Part 1)

644135_4539272448256_1720901119_n.jpg?oh

The veiling of the Unveiled. (Part 1)

Let’s talk about me! Self-centred much? Let me explain. In the spring of 2012 I had decided to make one of the biggest and most possibly life changing decision. The Niqaab or better known as the veil. I decided to adorn this simple black piece of cloth on my face and walk out into the world. Why? Why Hazera? Why do such a thing? Does Islam force you? It’s not even fardh (compulsory)! Or is it? (That my friend is definitely debatable…) Why deprive the world of your smiling face? Your radiance? Your youth?…yeh I should stop bigging myself up :whistle:

Quite frankly, the answer I give never satisfies anyone. At least that’s how I feel. Let me start at the beginning. Deep into the mid-winter of 2011, this strong urge of wearing the niqaab had intercepted my mind. It became something I was contemplating for a while. I asked my friend at university who cloaked herself in black, the reason behind why she wore it. “I went to an Islamic school, we got told to wear it by year 9, so I did, never thought about why…” she shrugged her shoulder and we returned to the experiment at hand in the lab. That left me a bit dumbfounded, so some people wore it without thought, what significance did it play in their lives? Why did they do it? I still got no answers. I never really did get answers, but the obvious answer always seemed to be for “Allah’s sake”. Well what did that mean? We do a lot of things for Allah’s sake. We love for Allah’s sake, we please our parents for Allah’s sake, and we can even do the dishes even when we don’t want to for Allah’s sake. So what did it mean to wear the niqaab (the veil) for Allah’s sake? And so I continued with these thoughts, observed women who wore the niqaab, I think I even wrote a small blog on the social media muxlim (those of you who remember that…) about it. They say good things are inspired in the heart and it’s up to yourself to act upon it.

In May 2012, without giving it a second thought, I asked my brother, “Buy me a niqaab,” his response, “What?! Why?” I replied, “ ‘Cause, I want to wear it, I think it’s the next step in my life,” “It’s that Alimah course your doing isn’t it, they making you wear it?” My brother retorted. Clearly, thinking I was brain washed. I told him no and said for him to buy me the niqaab. He bought me it, that night I spoke to my parents about it, naturally they were concerned for my safety. With all the hoola buloo with veiled women, oppression and the general abuse veiled women receive. My father even suggested that I only wear it when I’m in my home town for safety reasons, at the time I was still at university, studying. But to me, I wasn’t wearing it for show, I wasn’t wearing it because of the alimmiyyah course, I wasn’t wearing it to prove women weren’t oppressed. I was wearing it because it felt like the next step in my ibadaah, obedience to Allah swt. It doesn’t really make sense, but my heart felt it right. That in reality doesn’t seem a satisfactory answer to most, when I mention it to them why I wear it. But if I could show you my heart and the gleaming happiness it feels when I put the niqaab on or think about why I wear it, perhaps you'd understand. Yes, it’s for Allah’s sake, it’s to please Allah swt, even this simple act of covering my face. I was told by a wise old friend, “My face is my honour,” such a profound statement and inspiration to me. So I chose to honour that face of mine, bestowed by Allah swt, a Ni3mah (blessing), by covering it. Simple as, no frills, no frolics no complicated or mundane answer. No, my religion didn’t make me, nor my parents, nor my husband (if I had a husband…). It was completely and utterly my own choice, and I decided to wear it at the age of 21. So I was fully aware of what I was doing.

And thus my tale will be left to be continued…it’s getting too long and I need me a cuppa tea and cake to tell you the next part, come back where I tell you my tales of wearing the niqaab has led me too, so until then, with Dua’s and love.

Peace :wave:

*note: that image is copyrighted to me, since it's an image of me, so please don't copy n paste. JazakaAllah khair

I should update my blog but way to many things have been happening...part my laziness too :whistle: