Maniac Muslim Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ferrari

SYED!?

Not sure if this is the right area for this topic!

Whats so special about people claiming to be SYED, and whats this all about daughters of the Syed cast cannot marry outside their cast!???

Whos a Syed here and please explain??

Interesting question..I thought the same thing, I asked my mum, basically she said for bengalis they were one group who were a key important part of spreading the knowledge of islam in bangladesh. The original syedi family have kept that tradition in teaching supporting madrasas etc..So they are considered a pious group of people, revered etc..I guess this is where one syedi will choose to marry only another syedi for fear of well, who knows what. .its ironic that as they taught us from being hindu before that islam condemns all the caste tribalism stuff they are all about it. Heck most desis are so obsessed with it and as I hear in other muslim communities too..However alhamdulilah things are slowly changing.

Not sure if this is the right area for this topic!

Whats so special about people claiming to be SYED, and whats this all about daughters of the Syed cast cannot marry outside their cast!???

Whos a Syed here and please explain??

syed, or sayyed is a term used in desiland to identify descendents of the Prophet SAW.

their daughters can marry outside, but desi people as usual have made a stupid rule. not all sayyeds adhere to such rules.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but many 'Syeds' that I know are really - well - stuck up and have this 'holier-than-thou' attitude. I mean, just because you think you're from the Prophet's (PBUH) family, it doesn't make you any better than the rest of us unless you actually follow his (PBUH) Sunnah and teachings and have taqwa, which can only be judged by Allah.

Forget marriage, there was a Syed woman at work who wouldn't even accept food from non-Syed's

British Muslims are weird in general. Even the original desi sayyeds aren't that fussy.

Well my mum was wrong.

not necessarily. sayyeds took a big role in propogating Islam and Islamic scholarship very early on in history.

Syeds and Syeddahs say they are descendants of the Prophet (pbuh) but I haven't met a single one that acted even close to the way the Prophet (pbuh) was and I've come across quite a few. So their title is meaningless. Desis love these titles and statuses. Although, I don't think they are so fixated on marrying other Syeds and Syeddahs.

I'm a Syeddah ! I didn't know it was a big deal till I was 16. My parents never talked about it and seemed angry that I had found out tbh.

Makes no sense to add the title, due to the fact Islamically you take your fathers name. The Prophet PBUH has no descendants carrying his male line. The descendants of the Prophet PBUH daughters are supposed to trace their lineage through their fathers, so none of them inherit the name nor lineage of their mothers and thus do not count as coming from the Prophet PBUH line.

However, it is possible to be descendant of Ahl al Bayt in the sense of belonging to Bani Hashim, the Prophet (PBUH) noble Arabian house, which qualifies anyone descendant from Hashim ibn Abu Munaf. Also, it is extremely likely a large portion of people claiming to be Hashemite are not, due to the fact in the Ottoman era and under the Safavids, they were given tax breaks.

Angry? That's strange.

B/c they didn't want us to consider it a big deal and were afraid I'd become snobby.

lol are u actually tho. seems like every other desi i meet is like o ya im a syed.

Pretty sure we are cuz we have a family tree (my granddad had it before he left India).

Makes no sense to add the title, due to the fact Islamically you take your fathers name. The Prophet PBUH has no descendants carrying his male line. The descendants of the Prophet PBUH daughters are supposed to trace their lineage through their fathers, so none of them inherit the name nor lineage of their mothers and thus do not count as coming from the Prophet PBUH line.

However, it is possible to be descendant of Ahl al Bayt in the sense of belonging to Bani Hashim, the Prophet (PBUH) noble Arabian house, which qualifies anyone descendant from Hashim ibn Abu Munaf. Also, it is extremely likely a large portion of people claiming to be Hashemite are not, due to the fact in the Ottoman era and under the Safavids, they were given tax breaks.

Ya I don't really understand how we are Syeds tbh if he didn't have sons.

I'm a paki and I'm syed, so are a 100 other pakis. To me its nonsense as there's no chain of narration, no evidence that one is descendants of the Prophet (saw).No paperwork, its just so and so said.